Holstein Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know where most holstein steers are finished? Who buys them from the feedlot when they are finished and where does the meat end up?

WELL ?.. Anybody?...... Been waitin fer an answer for 5 years or so! :lol:
Cant sleep again so I was just clickin through the archives. Lots of questions went unanswered back in the old days of this forum. Man has it GROWN!!

OK, Green Bay Wisconsin. The Green Bay Packers get their name from the beef processing plants specializing in Fed Holsteins and slaughter Holsteins. They will buy fed Holstein from a large region.

Green Bay is Holstein beef processing. Lots of Family owned dairies will feed their own young stock, most of the feeder holsteins are fed locally.

National Beef, American Foods, Green Bay Packing [Packerland Beef] Is one of the largest beef processing plants on the US.

And, California has large packing plants specializing in Holstein beef.
National Beef also has a large processor in the desert South of Phoenix that specializes in Holstein beef.
The Holstein beef is sold to wholesalers then distributed same as beef breeds.

Pickles Dillman":28w7ampd said:
Cant sleep again so I was just clickin through the archives. Lots of questions went unanswered back in the old days of this forum. Man has it GROWN!!
go ahead and feed those frame score 9er's and when you are good and broke you can always sell some land to pay for more feed

edrsimms":2wn7bd23 said:
Pickles Dillman":2wn7bd23 said:
go ahead and feed those frame score 9er's and when you are good and broke you can always sell some land to pay for more feed

Man you really enjoy pi$$ing on everybody that doesn't think like you. Who mentioned "frame score 9" anywhere???

edrsimms":3n9i0mxy said:
Pickles Dillman":3n9i0mxy said:
:roll: Despite "popular" beleif there is money to be made in Holstein beef. I know I've made more off of Holsteins than any beef breed.

TexasBred":c58oz07u said:
Farmgirl, if you're making money with your current system, I wouldn't change a thing. ;-)
Well, I had to sell everything off since I'm going to school in Kansas now. Although I stole calves from my brother to take care of for a few weeks before I left.

TexasBred":3fhkaux2 said:
edrsimms":3fhkaux2 said:
Pickles Dillman":3fhkaux2 said:

Man you really enjoy pi$$ing on everybody that doesn't think like you. Who mentioned "frame score 9" anywhere???
TexasBred
Those frame score 9 holstein steers are a product of grass feeding.

edrsimms":2jw98ux0 said:
Pickles Dillman":2jw98ux0 said:
I'm a thinkin you need to sharpen that pencil

Always a market for Holstein feeders. Some buyers and feedlots specialize in them. Guy down the road from me will only finish Holsteins. He and others are doing good and obviously making money. Got a very nice facility.

Despite contrary belief Holsteins finish very easy and fast. Some of the best marbled beef in the world. Frame 9 hardly, unless you are finishing a 4 year old. Not too many of us breeders go for the huge frame score genetics anymore, too hard to fit in the parlor and a major PITA.

Lot's of money to be made in fact a good ole boy here on CT does just that has great facilities and buyers lined up..I guess he doesn't know what he is doing, especially since he can pay all of his bills and still have money left over. ;-)

The one thing about Holstein feeders is that they will do well on a heavy ration even in the heat where as your normal beef breed needs to be babied or you will kill them.. :lol2:

The meat ends up on the counter labeled prime, aaa, aa, a, choice and select just like all beef does.

Do you think ole Jkirby is still around or did he make a killing in raising Holstein steers and now lives on a private Island somewhere. :D

:roll: Despite "popular" beleif there is money to be made in Holstein beef. I know I've made more off of Holsteins than any beef breed.[/quote]

Calf buyers don't seem to agree with you. What is the advantage in raising Holstein beef?

Stocker Steve":vlxnbd9t said:
Calf buyers don't seem to agree with you. What is the advantage in raising Holstein beef?
Well those calf buyers had better sharpen those pencils. Profit thats the advantage.

In my little part of the world there is a large industry built around those little guys.
Not too many see a feedlot or their first birthday! :lol2:

Starts with a V and ryhmes with steel, but just can't think of it right now???

:lol: :dunce:

We used to get the bull calves for free and use them for horse practice/training. Now the dairies want real money for them. Someone has found some value there and ruined our fun.

Stocker Steve":xbchrand said:

That's why there is an advantage. How many times does the top-selling pen of steers from the calf sale net the most dollars for the feedlot at the end of the line? LOL, the most profitable calves tend to be the ones that are discounted for colour or breed purposes and sharp buyers with a good eye cherry pick them. Holsteins are likely the same. They make money because the up-front costs are lower, and if you have figured out how to get them to grade and sell them on the rail.... I can see how it would work. Neighbours of ours used to feed lots of 'em, but we have that veal industry in our backyard too.

I have been debating on purchasing a pair of holstein bulls and raising them as steers for beef for my family and selling off quarters to pay for some expenses. Holstein calves around here are selling for around $125, How much more time and feed would a holstein need for finishing up? I have really good grass and good round bales.

double D":2sn6bk33 said:
I have been debating on purchasing a pair of holstein bulls and raising them as steers for beef for my family and selling off quarters to pay for some expenses. Holstein calves around here are selling for around $125, How much more time and feed would a holstein need for finishing up? I have really good grass and good round bales.
Good luck finishing a holstein on grass and hay bales. Kinda like owning the space shuttle but no rocket fuel.

Latest posts