holstein steer back leg problems

Help Support CattleToday:

snickers

Reaction score
we have about a 1000 # holstein that has been on corn/supplement since the end of may and the last couple weeks i have noticed when he stands and eats he will raise his foot off the ground about 6 to 10 inches and then he puts it back down something like the feet are sore and he does it with both hind legs. then when he walks he looks like the joints are getting stiff at the knee's in the hind legs or he kinda looks like he's got a corn cob up his butt when he walks. lol we've got 3 months of grain in him and i'd hate for this to be something serious, could it be foundering? i did see a raccoon in his lot one day so maybe he has caught something from the coon? he eats fine and when he runs around the pen for whatever reason we dont notice it. i probably am worrying for nothing but i'd appreciate any comments.

How much corn/supplement is he on?

Could it be laminitouse from high grain loading?

Add some feed quality lime to the corn mix if you don't use a buffered concentrate with it.

he has been on 450# of cracked corn and 50# supplement for the last 3 months and this month just started 450 lbs corn with 50lbs glutten this time. this is all we will feed him he is going to the butcher shop after this batch of corn is gone.

Latest posts