Holstein not taking off

Help Support CattleToday:

johnny25

Reaction score
I bough a group of 30 holsteins 2 months ago. They came in weighing around 400. From the first day the heifers have been fed very good quality alfalfa and 3lbs of grain for each animal. 2 months later the other 29 have takin off and the one animal looks like a baby compared to the others. I have vaccinated, giving her 8way shot,vitamin b and applied pour on. Of course not all at the same time, but the point she along with the others have been takin care off. She doesnt get pushed around by the others and seems to eat like the others but for whatever reason she hasnt taken off. What am i missing.

Could try separating her out, and switching her grain to something else, sometimes for some reason certain animals don't like certain grain, just my thoughts.

GMN

worm her again with avermectin type wormer (ivermectin....dectomax) push it right up to the max on the dose....then do her again in about a week....you may have missed her the first time, or some of it hit the deck?

GMN":8w3vu9ft said:
Could try separating her out, and switching her grain to something else, sometimes for some reason certain animals don't like certain grain, just my thoughts.

GMN
I agree with switching grain may not like something in your current mixture,I have had it happen to me,

johnny25":12qvgzk2 said:
I bough a group of 30 holsteins 2 months ago. They came in weighing around 400. From the first day the heifers have been fed very good quality alfalfa and 3lbs of grain for each animal. 2 months later the other 29 have takin off and the one animal looks like a baby compared to the others. I have vaccinated, giving her 8way shot,vitamin b and applied pour on. Of course not all at the same time, but the point she along with the others have been takin care off. She doesnt get pushed around by the others and seems to eat like the others but for whatever reason she hasnt taken off. What am i missing.

My Vet calls it a "pre existing condition." Who knows what happened. It sounds like you need to sell her or eat her to eliminate the problem.

Latest posts