Holstein heifers is this a fair price?

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

Reaction score
My cousin bought 4 holstein heifers at about 350 lbs.......... don't know where he got them from so I don't have any of their bloodline background.

These are now in 2nd stage and I had talked to him about buying their calves as they are bred to a Jersey bull............ he's now decided to sell the heifers and is asking $1000 a piece for them.

My ? does that seem about par?

Thanks.

Out here Holstein springers on the top end of the market are still going for $1800-2000, and all the buyers know is that the heifers have been bangs vacc'd, confirmed pregnant, and have X number of good quarters. It'd certainly be reasonable out this way.

Haven't been to a dairy sale in a while but last I heard good holstein springers were bringing $2000 and up.

if i was there id jump on those 4 bred heifer for a $1000ea.that is a real fair price.an if they have bad or ugly baggs thats a tadd to much.

Look at them close on conformation , udder size, teat placement, make sure all have their shots update, feet and legs, ect. If you feel comfortable then yes they are a fair price

dun":236f1ojy said:
Here's a link to the Norwood auction. Prices may go down if the $13 milk they're talking about happens.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/jc_ls130.txt

What do U mean IF? Its gonna happen, already got the notice about the MILC program kicking in as early as FEB. Funny how the fieldman is all over someone when something goes wrong, but when a person _itches about the milk prices he ain't no where to be found!LOL I think!

GMN

when the milk price hitts $13/100 cattle prices will drop some.i remember when milk was $12/100.cows was $1300 to $1500.

bigbull338":1m4qh51q said:
when the milk price hitts $13/100 cattle prices will drop some.i remember when milk was $12/100.cows was $1300 to $1500.

You mean cattle prices aren't low already? Seems to me they have been in the toilet for a few months already.

GMN

here fresh cows an heifers top end are still $1300 to $2000 a hd.an springer cows an heifers are still high.bull calves are in the crapper.

GMN":12iogaxu said:
bigbull338":12iogaxu said:

You mean cattle prices aren't low already? Seems to me they have been in the toilet for a few months already.

GMN

Dairy Cattle?? A really good fresh one probably still will cost you $2,500. Heifer calves up to $600 and bull calves from $15 DOWN. Class III milk futures trading today at $10.88. That sucks.