Holstein for a family cow

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1itghclx said:
Have you ever hand milked a Holstein?
Th genetics in this country are high production and wouldn't work very well for once a day milking. Having her trained to lead is good, but I'ld run her with another animal, preferably a cow or steer. They are herd aniamls, if kept by herself, you become the herd.
By limiting the grainn you can limit to a degree her production. But any decent dairy animal is going to put the feed she gets into the bucket. Another drawback to some of the dairy genetics is teat size. hey have been selected/bred for a teat size that works well with a milking machine not hand milking.
Personally, if I was going to have cow for milk, it would be a heavy milking individual from one of the beef breeds.

I have Polled Herefords should I breed her and keep one of the offspring. Will that work as a milk cow?
Will you put her with another cow asap?

dun

lancemart":2q2req0g said:
dun":2q2req0g said:
Have you ever hand milked a Holstein?
Th genetics in this country are high production and wouldn't work very well for once a day milking. Having her trained to lead is good, but I'ld run her with another animal, preferably a cow or steer. They are herd aniamls, if kept by herself, you become the herd.
By limiting the grainn you can limit to a degree her production. But any decent dairy animal is going to put the feed she gets into the bucket. Another drawback to some of the dairy genetics is teat size. hey have been selected/bred for a teat size that works well with a milking machine not hand milking.
Personally, if I was going to have cow for milk, it would be a heavy milking individual from one of the beef breeds.

dun
I have Polled Herefords should I breed her and keep one of the offspring. Will that work as a milk cow?
Will you put her with another cow asap?

If you have a heavy milking Polled Hereford that is willling to let you milk her that is what I'ld use. Put the heifer with the others ASAP. As long as you mess eith her fairly regularly she'll still stay a pet.

dun