Holstein Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

He looks petty big for his age. I dont know how long they keep there cleanup bulls but by the time he reaches 4 yrs, he'll be pretty large.

i doubt they keep cleanup bulls more than 2yrs.i noticed he was in the drippshed.not good when the bull starts thing cows are his.b/c he wont let cows go into the barn to get milked.scott

bigbull338":2ojjb7ik said:
i doubt they keep cleanup bulls more than 2yrs.i noticed he was in the drippshed.not good when the bull starts thing cows are his.b/c he wont let cows go into the barn to get milked.scott

They usaully get about 3 years from a bull. There are two youngsters coming up but they won;t be ready for another 6-8 months. That's the only reason Darrell is still around. He hasn;t really done anything yet, but he does get that fish eye when you try to move his girls into the parlor.

dun

when your in the drippshed with him.never take your eye off him.always have a way out.when our bulls got prossive.we would keep them out of the drippshed.scott

bigbull338":1mcizh1h said:
when your in the drippshed with him.never take your eye off him.always have a way out.when our bulls got prossive.we would keep them out of the drippshed.scott

That's the reason I was standing in the door into the parlor. I don;t like bulls, never have liked bulls, never will like bulls. That's the reason we keep all of ours in that shiny round silver corral.

dun

I don't know a thing about a milk cow but he doesn't fit what I thought a good dairy bull looked like. Is he any good Dun?

Supposed to be. Good numbers, very well bred from long lines on both sides of long lived productive cows. None of his daughters are in the string yet so it's hard to tell. They AI most everything except during the summer when it's hard to catch them in heat.

dun

Hey dun - how is a clean-up bull used at a dairy? I've heard the term with beef - cleanup bull is turned out for a few weeks with the herd after AI to catch the cows that didn't settle. Right? But dairies have cows calving/in heat all year round.

:?:

milkmaid":6narndz7 said:
Hey dun - how is a clean-up bull used at a dairy? I've heard the term with beef - cleanup bull is turned out for a few weeks with the herd after AI to catch the cows that didn't settle. Right? But dairies have cows calving/in heat all year round.

:?:

He's used with the milk string during the summer and with the heifers the rest of the year. Thhose that didn;t settle AI before he was turned in he breeds plus all of them that come in in Jul-September. Another couple of weeks he'll be pulled out and put with the heifers again. It isn't exactly how I would do it, but it's worked for them for years so who am I to comment on it. Actually I have commented on it but they aren;t about to change their ways of doing things.

dun

Beefy":s2t52acy said:
hey dun what kind of jet is that in your avatar

Darned if I know. Never have seen a moth with the army/marine looking camo before

dun

Latest posts