Holstein Bull being bred with Hereford Cow ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am looking at what kind of calves I will have. I have a friend who is willing to put his bull with my Hereford and Hereford/Charolais cows. I am really have some concerns. Please help me !!
I have to have decision by tomorrow.

If your doing it for the fun of it, I say go for it. But if not I say breed your herefords to another hereford or something beefy if your going money wise. I wouldn't cross dairy with meat. But who's to say it wouldn't work. I cross my dairy goats with my boers & their kids look great. But they are goats, cattle are different.
Ellie May

:cboy:

I haven't seen the bull. We have someone taking care of them. I trust this friend but this is just something new. I can't do it for fun. This will probably be the first and the only time.

Thanks for your help

no way, unless you need milker cows, but if the case is more milk I will go with any of the several dual purpose breeds, for example; Simmental, Normande, Tarentaise, Braunvieh etc...

chouteaugal":2w2cnpog said:
I am looking at what kind of calves I will have. I have a friend who is willing to put his bull with my Hereford and Hereford/Charolais cows. I am really have some concerns. Please help me !!
I have to have decision by tomorrow.

I would not use him. #1 calves might be to large #2 color of calves ,might be off. Use a Black Angus Bull, you would get some good calves,and good replacement heifers..ALF...

ALF":2qcxm5n1 said:
I would not use him. #1 calves might be to large #2 color of calves ,might be off. Use a Black Angus Bull, you would get some good calves,and good replacement heifers..ALF...

ALF, I doubt this breeder could care less for color...a live calf is far more important than color! You gotten yourself so hyped up about the color black that you forgot the one thing important in cattle...a living calf and cow. Stop letting the Angus politicians cloud your brains that black hide will solve all your problems and/or make you rich.
Hostein bulls are not normally bred for their temperament but for their milk productions...many Holstein bulls are real onery to be around and can be a handful to work with. Holstein bulls tend to be very large framed and tend to throw big calves.... I would not recommend you to use this bull on Hereford cow. Don't know what your friend is thinking...save your friendship before its fall apart after you discouver a dead calf by saying "no, thanks" first. If not, you will regret it later. Find yourself a good BEEF bull (don't care of its breed...Herefords are nice...). Beef breeds are (for the most part) bred for their dispositions..

This is one way to get black baldies, but it's the wrong way. Althoug some folks don't like to hear it, the black will for average calves bring a little more per pound when they're sold. The problems with using a Holstein is the loose of muscle, the losse of the ability to finish well, and the probably physical size of the calves. There are a lot of good british bulls available, don't turn a silk purse into a sows ear.

dun

Look you are listening to people who have never done it before. Me and my grandad have been doing this for years. Don't worry about color 95% of the calves will be black with a white face. The hefiers wont have huge hock bones sticking out, the Herford in them will take care of that. You will have very large steers. I dont know if it would be good to breed him to your first time hefiers. But I do reccomend that you do what we do that is take all your hefiers from this crop and breed thm back to a herford bull! That way you dont get to much into the dairy side.

Roy":1r3g14vh said:
Look you are listening to people who have never done it before. Me and my grandad have been doing this for years. Don't worry about color 95% of the calves will be black with a white face. The hefiers wont have huge hock bones sticking out, the Herford in them will take care of that. You will have very large steers. I dont know if it would be good to breed him to your first time hefiers. But I do reccomend that you do what we do that is take all your hefiers from this crop and breed thm back to a herford bull! That way you dont get to much into the dairy side.
By the way dunn is right about the color.

Look Oregan- Live calves is the point. Holstiens have very large bone,heavy calves...I have been there and done that. I would use a hereford bull on a holstien cow But I would not go the other way.That is my point. Now as far as my Black Angus beliefs that is simple there are ten times the Black angus as most any other beef breed, thus such a large gean pool to pick from. Now I sometimes think the Black is a little boring myself, but the genetics are great..It is simple- Use a Black Angus Bull on any beef Herd and make more MONEY -It is not my opinion it the way it is a MY sale barn (I do not own it /where I sale my cows) that is why I raise what I do. ALF..

Thank you everyone for your expert advice. I think this board is great !!!
I share your views with my friend that is Amish and he was tickle .He was also glad that I am learning from farmers and ranchers .The bull is already in with my cows. I just pray and leave it in God's hand and pray that the calves aren't to large. The bull is mainly black and suppose to be very beefy. This is his first time to service. Continue this board with me getting off of work at 6:00 am you guys make my day. After this I will try to get another bull from the sell of my two young bulls.
Still learning and growing
Thanks

ALf that is why I told him to use the Holstien Bull on his cows not Hefiers!!!