Holstein/Angus bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone has any experienced with the Holstein/Angus bull calves . How much better do they gain weight than just Holstein? At what age do you finish yours out at and which feed have you fed? Also do they still get horns or are they polled because of the Angus? I bought one to graft on to a cow that lost her calve this week and it ended up that she just would not let it nurse unless we had her in a headstall and tied her legs so she couldn't kick it. Anyway , it didn't work so we bought another one to put with it so we could hand feed them. Another question is- I am feeding them both 2 qts. milk replacer 2 times a day , but the younger of the two is really noisy most of the day - is that normal or do you think it is still hungry? Thanks for anybodys comments!

Generally they will gain better then a Holstein and can be finished at around 14-18 months depending on when/how you finish them. They'll be framier then a straight Angus. If the Angus bull is purebred the calves will be polled, but the may be scurred. The ANgus bull on Holstein cows is the only way we ended up with about 90% scurred calves. Could have been the bloodlines we used since they came from the same dairy over 5-6 years.
Some calves always act hungry. Over feeding is the quickest way to make them sick. Introduce a good quality calf starter grain, you will want them eating a minimum of 2 lbs a day by the time you wean them.

dun

Kelly":7pnfwdhu said:
I was wondering if anyone has any experienced with the Holstein/Angus bull calves . How much better do they gain weight than just Holstein? At what age do you finish yours out at and which feed have you fed? Also do they still get horns or are they polled because of the Angus? I bought one to graft on to a cow that lost her calve this week and it ended up that she just would not let it nurse unless we had her in a headstall and tied her legs so she couldn't kick it. Anyway , it didn't work so we bought another one to put with it so we could hand feed them. Another question is- I am feeding them both 2 qts. milk replacer 2 times a day , but the younger of the two is really noisy most of the day - is that normal or do you think it is still hungry? Thanks for anybodys comments!