Holstein and Blk Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any Holstein cows that have been bred with a angus bull? If so can you post a picture of what the calves look like please? I am interested in making that cross as well and wondered what kind of results to expect if Holsteins have calves by a angus bull.

Boss has 30+ of them. Most look beefy but real light bone and muscle. Raise good calves just take alot of feed. The 3/4 beef ones most people can't tell any dairy in them.

This is a cross that has been done for years. Many beef herd have been started with Angus females out of Holstein cows. They will be black and polled.

Thanks we will be raising bottle calves and wondered how well they would be on my angus bull or maybe even my simangus bull. Everyone says Holsteins are eating machines.. lol

Edit: What is everyones opinions on calves weight gain? Is it slow like a typical Holstein or is it quicker like angus?

skyhightree1":38a56b1p said:
Thanks we will be raising bottle calves and wondered how well they would be on my angus bull or maybe even my simangus bull. Everyone says Holsteins are eating machines.. lol

Edit: What is everyones opinions on calves weight gain? Is it slow like a typical Holstein or is it quicker like angus?
Closer to the Angus. The heifers from that cross make great cows but you need a lot of groceries cause the milk like their mothers.

dun":3u3qki0q said:
skyhightree1":3u3qki0q said:

Closer to the Angus. The heifers from that cross make great cows but you need a lot of groceries cause the milk like their mothers.

Dun do you feel it would be worth it if one kept those crossed heifers or would selling them the best option?

skyhightree1":3cv8nl5y said:
dun":3cv8nl5y said:
skyhightree1":3cv8nl5y said:

Dun do you feel it would be worth it if one kept those crossed heifers or would selling them the best option?
When we kept them we had access (partner) to alfalfa and dry lotted them. We moved to a place with irrigated pasture and they did ok but not as well as the cross of them back to angus or shorthorn. On typical pasture they don;t do well. Our neighbor has some from when he was dairying, he also has some Holsten cows out there. To hold any kind of condition on our pastures he has to grain them 3-4 days a week.

I can grain them but seems like they would be high maintenance to keep good conditioning. I may try to keep 1 heifer.

skyhightree1":1rxjm1rl said:
I can grain them but seems like they would be high maintenance to keep good conditioning. I may try to keep 1 heifer.
Your rigth, it is. I was just relating how he does it on typical pasture. We also found that the Shorthorn sired heifers still tended to milk a little too much compared to the Angus and Hereford sired heifers. But that could have just been the AI bull we used at the time. That would have been around 79 or the early 80s.

cbcr":3g49i10n said:
This is a cross that has been done for years. Many beef herd have been started with Angus females out of Holstein cows. They will be black and polled.
Yes they will be black and polled but they are heterozygous polled and they are spotting gene carrier. We used the unpapered commercial Angus bulls on our Holstein influenced cows and we got few horned calves and one time a spotted calf out of them. Its not uncommon to have calves with white feet, white switch, white udders and white belly. That's why we are going to quit using unpapered bulls and go Simmental on our cows. Do not use any simmental bulls with spotting gene on Holstein influenced cows and stick with homozygous black bulls only.

On plus, the F1 cows raised great calves and good replacements. F1 cows don't appeared to be eating machines like a Holstein cow or at least that's our personal experiences.

20140812_1539161_zps3cd1254e.jpg

Here are a few pics of one of our steers. The first generation of crosses do not perform nearly as well as straight beef crosses. You HAVE to feed them to keep up body condition and milk production. Yes they do raise a big calf, but here you have to sell them kinda early before the dairy comes out in them. Good buyers can pick them out. We are down to about 13 Holsteins left from our milking herd. We have had to cull hard b/c they just don't do that well w/o feed. We have kept 0 of this year's calves and culled alot of 1st year heifers b/c of re-breeding issues.

LawsonFarms thank you so much for the pic those cows are pretty darn big in the background probably eating enough groceries for 2-3 angus cows. That calf does look good. Thank you for sharing again.

I buy a few of the steer calves in the spring like the one pictured. Run them through the summer on grass and resell. They do well and you can make as much as you can on those high dollar straight beef cows with less monetary risk. They are easy keepers and fairly docile.

I wish all of my cows wer 1/4 Holstein. It's impossible to achieve, with out some half Holsteins. They'll breed back slow, and look like death by spring with out supplement. I fooled with a lot of bottle calves as kid, and had many half Holsteins. Now at 43, some of those genetics are still around. I'll occasionally have a calf with Holstein cross characteristics.

You'd think black sim on first sight. No telling how far down the line the Holstein is. Had one last year looked just like a Holstein. Big steer, it cost me a ton on sale day.

I got 3 stein x angus cows the kids raised from bottle calves. They run right with the rest of the herd and get nothing xtra. When they calve I put an additional calf on them an then about 3-4 mo later I sale those calves and put another 2 on them for 3-4 mo. I actually just seen one of them tonight and thought how she looked about 8 mo pregnant. She's not due until spring. They're all 4 yrs old so we will see how they hold up but so far I'm happy.

Bigfoot":1ikgs4hi said:
I wish all of my cows wer 1/4 Holstein. It's impossible to achieve, with out some half Holsteins. They'll breed back slow, and look like death by spring with out supplement. I fooled with a lot of bottle calves as kid, and had many half Holsteins. Now at 43, some of those genetics are still around. I'll occasionally have a calf with Holstein cross characteristics.

You'd think black sim on first sight. No telling how far down the line the Holstein is. Had one last year looked just like a Holstein. Big steer, it cost me a ton on sale day.

Very nice BF

piedmontese":1ikgs4hi said:
I got 3 stein x angus cows the kids raised from bottle calves. They run right with the rest of the herd and get nothing xtra. When they calve I put an additional calf on them an then about 3-4 mo later I sale those calves and put another 2 on them for 3-4 mo. I actually just seen one of them tonight and thought how she looked about 8 mo pregnant. She's not due until spring. They're all 4 yrs old so we will see how they hold up but so far I'm happy.

Thanks for the imput. I will keep that in mind.

Latest posts