Holier than thou.

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
My mother is visiting me for these 2 weeks. She is 82, and for the most part in command of her faculties. Like many her age, she will repeat certain things and she is getting a bit frail, but the thing I notice most is her "holier than thou" outlook on everything. I wonder when this happened. She used to be such a sweet lady that loved everyone and did for everyone. What made her change into this judgmental person who, if there was a jesus, would not be satisfied with his behavior. I know it is not an age thing. I have many friends and acquaintances who are older than her and not like that. Why does someone slip into a mode of thinking that they know what's right and no one else's does? How sad....

She may be trying to compensate. A lady was in my house over the holidays. Told me she had been there before many times. "All my children were baptized here." From my grandmother, I have just learned to go with it. If you correct them, and they do get it, they are now embarrassed. If I were you, I'd just go with it. Be glad you still have her. I've lost mine.

melking":33d3f5ro said:
My mother is visiting me for these 2 weeks. She is 82, and for the most part in command of her faculties. Like many her age, she will repeat certain things and she is getting a bit frail, but the thing I notice most is her "holier than thou" outlook on everything. I wonder when this happened. She used to be such a sweet lady that loved everyone and did for everyone. What made her change into this judgmental person who, if there was a jesus, would not be satisfied with his behavior. I know it is not an age thing. I have many friends and acquaintances who are older than her and not like that. Why does someone slip into a mode of thinking that they know what's right and no one else's does? How sad....

Be thankful that she is just Holier than thou. She could be crazy and meaner than he[[ like mine was the last 10 years.

Don't know why they change with age. Lost my Mother three years ago and I would give anything to be able to answer her incessant questions about every twenty minutes. Over and over. Just go with it and be glad she is still around.

In my mothers case she was really plaqued up in her carotid arteries. It affected her in many ways. None of them were good. She decided that many many people were out to get her.

melking":3uh0sipx said:

Mel, my mom is 92. I still think my mother is my best friend. She leans the other way. I have one question: Is your mother spending a lot of her idle time on Cattle Today?

LOL Inyati,
My mom is deathly afraid of computers. She is sure they are the devils work, unless she is way craftier than I think. I wonder what her handle would be on here?

One thing I've noticed with people with heart disease. It's almost as if they aren't getting enough oxygen to their brain and their personalities and decision making processes suffer.
Seen that with 4 people close to us lately. 3 have passed now

Yes hook, that is one of the things that crossed my mind. She doesn't seem out of breath or anything like that, but that doesn't mean her brain is getting enough oxygen. Lest anyone think otherwise, I am grateful that my Mom is still with me. I lost my dad over 40 years ago and I miss him terribly.

Hook":2fg4tstt said:
One thing I've noticed with people with heart disease. It's almost as if they aren't getting enough oxygen to their brain and their personalities and decision making processes suffer.
Are you picken on me?

dun":cllrdj8v said:
Hook":cllrdj8v said:
Are you picken on me?
I am cpaptain now! :lol:
No dun, it's just an observation. Hopefully you'll be wielding the lock on this place for years to come

melking":365jo507 said:

I know its very annoying but just be thankful that she is there with you to annoy you.. Let her annoy you and come here and vent just don't let it build up and explode on her. I have mostly older people that shown me the ropes to farming and in my life and noticed their demeanor in some change as the years pass. I think its also frustration that they no longer are on top of their game and they are frustrated so they take it out unintentionally on people.

melking":2fkaxcna said:
LOL Inyati,
My mom is deathly afraid of computers. She is sure they are the devils work, unless she is way craftier than I think. I wonder what her handle would be on here?

Cowgirl8. :hide:

Hook":2qbutcyg said:

That could explain a lot about this Forum lately.

As I have gotten older I find myself being more opinionated and judge mental of people, especially if they do not think like me, which is now about 50 per cent of the population. :cboy:

cowboy43":21hcmzf4 said:
As I have gotten older I find myself being more opinionated and judge mental of people, especially if they do not think like me, which is now about 50 per cent of the population. :cboy:
:lol: :lol: The percentage will rise I assure you. :nod:

dun":2pqy64nl said:
Hook":2pqy64nl said:
Are you picken on me?

No, he is pickin' on me :p

Seriously, I know I'm not getting enough O2 to my brain at times. I carry a pulse oximeter in my pocket all the time and check myself out every so often.

Many times I'm down in the mid 80s while breathing 5L pulse O2. Lung dr doesn't want me under 90. I find that difficult, if not impossible :roll:

With 4L full flow I'm setting at 95 right now 8) 70 is my compuer controlled pulse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts