"holes" above eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
mornin yall... can someone tell me what are these "holes" above my horse's eyes?,and what are they for??? how deep should they be? could they be too deep? he's an old guy, past owner says he's 14, but i've been told he's 24!!! her vet signed papers saying he is 14 but i figure she just told him that. so... if these holes/sockets ARE too deep,is there something i can do to "fix" 'em? could his health be at risk ? or is this just part of his anatomy and not to worry? i've looked at the anatomy site but it's only a diagram, no info...thanks for any input,mell

Not sure what they are either but I know what your talking about. I have seen some horses with deeper holes and some where they were not really noticable. If I'm not mistaken it seems like the deeper ones were on thoroughbreds. I'm with you, I don't know if its a problem or not but I am sure we will get a good idea before this ones over.

i had a old rope horse years ago that had those indentions above his eyes. he was out of old foundation stock i mean old
back before there was a registry . seems like silver dust or somthing like that so it could be thoroughbred influance never was a problem wouldnt worry about it.

many thanks for yall's input, but i really think these indentions relay some sort of info ,like "doggone, i'm ancient" or somethin'...please let me know if you find anything else out, it's really intriguing me...by the way, this is extra hilarious; t.b.???if yall could see my old paint you'd be dyin' laughin at this !!! thanks again and still need suggestions...yall are great...mell

That area is not as deep on our 22 year old QH as it is on our 4 1/2 year old paint. And my TB is much deeper than the paint. The TB is either 14 or 15 years old, according to our vet...as I just had his teeth worked on.
Looking at the 22 year old QH you would never guess him to be 22, he ages gracefully. :)

I agree, dont worry about it.....go enjoy your horse. :D

Has nothing to do with holes. Since you are in Texas, not sure your exact location. If you ever want to go on a nice trail ride then go to Cooper Lake.
Nice facilities, pads sites for horse trailers, showers, toilets....very clean.

Only one thing, have to book ahead if you want to camp.
A bunch of us usually try to go in October-November, not too hot and the scenery is very nice.

It's not the mountains in Buffalo, Wymoning, but it's still very nice.

Don't forget negative coggins because the park rangers are not sympathic in at all.....which is a good thing. :)

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/acti ... questrian/

hey! just wanna say muchos gracias for the info on campin'. love to camp out for sure. i'm from castroville, tx, about 30 or so miles west of san antonio. it's a small town and a great place to live...yeah... only bad thing, EVERYBODY knows everybody and where they were, how long and even what they ate!!!home sweet home...mell

You are very welcome. Also enjoy camping, there is usually several of us that go to Cooper October-November. We could take up the entire equestrian grounds, but we try to buddy up as not to hog the place. We have traveled to Cheyenne Wyoming with the horses, then camped out in the mountains of Buffalo.....nice place, nice people there.

I understand about living in a small town, I live in small town about 52 miles NE of Plano/Dallas. And there is one house across the way, another a mile or so up the road.....Nice people, although they don't come outside much. They say we make them look bad because we work our place and ride all the time.....didn't move out here to sit in front of TV. :D

I can saddle up, ride out the gate and not touch pavement for hours. I rode with an equestrian drill team for a few years, I learned balance and posture real quick. Hard work, but great fun. we did local rodeos, parades, and charity benefits for children. I love the charity benefits the best, city children's faces would light up a room while watching the horses perform for them.

We have six horses, not the kind of horses you put a child or an inexperienced rider on.....like a horse with spirit, they keep my mind focused. They like to be busy, we work cattle, team pen, team rope, barrel race, some play days, and do trail rides. I would ride every day, but the job gets in the way. :lol:

really sounds like a blast, campin' like that... i, on the other hand,or hoof(haha) am not an experienced rider. been ridin' since i was a kid(caveman days) but just off and on. durango is only my 2nd horse and you can literately ride him backwards and eat lunch, he wouldn't mind. i get a little spooked sometimes, if it's dusk or around that time i won't ride. took a good fall last july from my 8 yr. old quarter horse and broke my wrist.rabbit ran out and i learned to fly...but not land!!so i'm pretty careful now. really enjoy this site and have learned quite a bit readin' tips from yall. anything interestin' let me know. see ya, mell