Holding Back the Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
OK :help: After experiencing frozen ears, feet, nose and serious chill :cry2: in other important body parts I decided to keep out the bulls until the second week in June.
That will make my calves about 50-75 pounds lighter at sale time if I sell them in Nov.
Mistake YOU THINK??
I don't Know??
Even some of those new born calves, maybe got chilled. :nod: :cowboy: :?

mnmtranching":3m1xcwt4 said:
50-75 pounds lighter at sale time if I sell them in Nov.
Mistake YOU THINK??

Well, lighter calves bring more $ per pound so how does that translate to $ per head? Maybe $25 - $30 a head depending on weaning weights. Also depends on weather the buyers want heavier or lighter calves at the time you sell. Sometimes it is just a toss-up.

I don't know where I heard or read it recently, maybe it was on here, but I recall a recommendation that the "BEST" time to calve is 30 days AHEAD of grass "green-up" time.

This supposedly puts the cow on peak grass 60-90 days after calving when her nutrition needs also peak. The calf is getting bigger and really dependent on her and not really too much on grass yet on its own.

Here in SW WI greenup is usually about the first week in May which would put "BEST" calving time at the first week in April,which would put the bull-in time about June 20th-25th.

This seems to be working well here in WI. I don't know where in MN you are but holding the bulls out until the third week in June sounds like it would be a plan.

Other than the calves being abit lighter, if you look at the overall PROFITABILITY of a bit later calving, not to mention maybe a bit less grief at calving time, this might be a profitable move. jmho. Jim

The calves may be lighter but then maybe not if there is less stress on the cows as they get to grass grazing sooner after calving they may produce more milk for the calves. Also the calves may get a better start in life born in better weather. I am starting this year to put the bull in the third week in June so I can get late March calves then turn the pairs onto grass around May 1st. Good luck with whatever you decide. JLP

This supposedly puts the cow on peak grass 60-90 days after calving when her nutrition needs also peak. The calf is getting bigger and really dependent on her and not really too much on grass yet on its own.

More importantly the cows are on a rising plane of condition during the breeding season.