Holdens Catalog is up on the web

Help Support CattleToday:

Well ... my bull is a 4140P son .. and I would call him "moderate framed" at best ... he is not a large framed bull by any means ... and one thing I was unsure about was how easy fleshing he would be .. I didn't know how he would stand up after breeding cows etc. .. but he maintained himself really well. Funny .. I did not think that Holdens bulls were large framed ... and in fact we DID purchase this bull because we believe he has the potenetial to raise us some females that are moderate framed, deep ribed, feminine, and NOT too big !! LOL .. the carcass value in him was really just a bonus. If I can ever figure out how to post a pic on here now .. I will see if I can get one up ..

As for getting him home .. Holdens helped us get the nessisary blood/health work done .. and we got out import papers in order .. and that was about it .. being as he was under 18months made things much easier. Holdens is actually only about 2 hours away from us .. so we just went and picked him up.

Jen

jenran":2chm0az0 said:
Oh .. and the Panther Cafe in Valier makes the BEST homemade burgers and pie .. LOL !! That is worth the trip too !!
Jen

they must be under new managament then! i help my father in law haul cattle in and out of his mountain place by kiowa every spring and fall and we cut through valier and used to stop at the Panther Cafe - i never would have got it down if i wasn't starving. Just goes to show you that it don't matter what you are talking about everyone has their own opinion on the matter at hand.

also, maybe just one reminder to you guys cause i hate it when it happens to me - but if you've never been to their place, seen the cows and how they are managed, owned a bull, and don't really know - how can you speak about the cattle.

LOL .. must have hit them on a bad day H76 .. for years I have loved stopping in Valier for a burger !!! Speaking of Kiowa .. last year when we came home from Holdens sale I missed the turn at Browning and we ended up coming home through there .. on a VERY cold .. snowy day .. not so much fun !! Thank goodness we didn't have the trailer on ! Must be nice to have pasture up that way in the summer though ..

Funny .. I was just talking to some one this morning about getting out to Stomsmoe's ... I believe they bought a donor cow that was out of 4140P ?? .. they should have females out of him in production now .. one of those sales I always mean to get to .. but never do .. I know they are a very "low-management" place.

Just wondering if we get to come tour your place this fall ??? I hear that there may be a "cross-border" Hereford tour coming up ....I missed the last meeting when it was discussed .. not sure who was involved or when it is ??

Jen

jenran":32my80yo said:
Just wondering if we get to come tour your place this fall ??? I hear that there may be a "cross-border" Hereford tour coming up ....I missed the last meeting when it was discussed .. not sure who was involved or when it is ??

Whaaat! who are you. andy and i have been talking about having a CAN-AM Tour like we used to. I don't know if we are going to get is swung for this fall or not. most of the guys on the MHA board want to have some sort of deal over in eastern montana, which we need to do, since the last tour we had was basically from holden's down to bozeman. the hereford guys in montana are just strung out so far. i think if we have the CAN AM deal it will be pretty much the same stops as the last MHA tour. I would like to have a stop here or maybe put a stop together at shelby at the old stockyards and have maybe ken jackson, duncans, weavers, and maybe fred olsen - but i would be willing to bet if i will just end up taking cattle to holden's again for display.

HEY!!!! If there is a CAN-AM tour you better let me know ASAP! I want to come too. Figure nothing would be more fun then spending time with fellow Hereford lovers looking at bulls and cows. :D

hubby made the Montana Hereford tour. He might want to come on this one too.

LOL .. I knew I'd get you on that one !! Actually Andy and I were talking at the Supremacy Sale about it .. but have not had a chance since .. he mentioned he had been talking to you .. (as I figured out who "you" were from your website). I doubt our place will be a stop .. we are just a bit too far west of those other guys .. and although we have had purebred cattle here for 50 years ... we got out of it for a bit .. just in the last few years that we have been active again. Hoping if it does happen sometime that we can take a display to some one's place anyhow. Dad always said Hereford tours were the only time the yard got cleaned up .. maybe time to have another one here :oops:

I didn't get on the last MHA tour .. but it would be so great to see something like that happen up here .. time to re-build some enthusiasm ..

Well .. I guess if we don't get to your place on the tour ... we'll just have to stop in .. something I never make enough time for is visiting peoples places ..

Jen

jenran":2rjs8b29 said:
LOL .. I knew I'd get you on that one !! Actually Andy and I were talking at the Supremacy Sale about it .. but have not had a chance since .. he mentioned he had been talking to you .. (as I figured out who "you" were from your website). I doubt our place will be a stop .. we are just a bit too far west of those other guys .. and although we have had purebred cattle here for 50 years ... we got out of it for a bit .. just in the last few years that we have been active again. Hoping if it does happen sometime that we can take a display to some one's place anyhow. Dad always said Hereford tours were the only time the yard got cleaned up .. maybe time to have another one here :oops:

I didn't get on the last MHA tour .. but it would be so great to see something like that happen up here .. time to re-build some enthusiasm ..

Well .. I guess if we don't get to your place on the tour ... we'll just have to stop in .. something I never make enough time for is visiting peoples places ..

Jen

yeah - you got me. i saw your website and i guess i should have known as i've seen the jenran prefix. I just hung up the phone with andy and sounds like we are going to atleast try and if not a CAN AM deal sounds like you guys are going to regardless - so i think it should be a great chance to pull one off.

We do need to get some enthusiasm and action going around these parts again. So was your hubby with the rest of the canucks on the MHA tour. I spent a good chunk of the tour visiting with nyle. if i remember right wildbear, pahl, templeton were also on the tour and made things quite lively - crazy bas%$rds anyhow. oh yeah the snif was there too.

I luv herfrds":1cl4qxsm said:
HEY!!!! If there is a CAN-AM tour you better let me know ASAP! I want to come too. Figure nothing would be more fun then spending time with fellow Hereford lovers looking at bulls and cows. :D

hubby made the Montana Hereford tour. He might want to come on this one too.

well you better get a passport done up then and tell darrell its his turn to stay home this time.
this stuff gets kind of exciting for me - been so dead for so long with all those guys in their that it was counter productive for them to do anything. i think we are going to try and have a field day over in eastern montana and maybe try to tie it into the dakota tour??? i really would like to get a deal like the old bull spectacular they used to have at lethbridge or like the hereford genes event except more pen type/non show condition type of deal.

Darrell heard from quite a few guys on the MHA tour that he should have had our place on the tour. I sent him with a ton of pics of our herd. That's a thought. But I want to do the whole tour.

I have been through that cowherd. I would have to say they are one of the best sets of cows I have been seen in that last 35 years. There are frame 5 to 6.5 cattle there now. The cows are very feminine with great udders. When you go through this herd you do not see alot of problems. These bulls will leave you a set of cows that will make you money. There will be bulls that should be used as herd bulls sell deep in the sale order. I will be using them to make black baldys. I should not be here telling you all this as It may cost me money. I will be there buying a couple of bulls. This is a heads up to you polled breeders. There are some bulls here that will help you bring your cattle to another level.

We do need to get some enthusiasm and action going around these parts again. So was your hubby with the rest of the canucks on the MHA tour. I spent a good chunk of the tour visiting with nyle. if i remember right wildbear, pahl, templeton were also on the tour and made things quite lively - crazy bas%$rds anyhow. oh yeah the snif was there too.

LOL .. no .. niether of us made the tour .. but I am sure those guys made their the Canadian presence known !! Have you been to the Hereford Genes Event ? It has turned out to be a pretty good deal .. hard for us to get many of our commercail guys there .. as it is so far from home .. but the exposure is great .. I wasn't sure how much milage we were getting out of it ..but have had a lot of interest from guys who saw our bulls in the HGevent .. so .. I guess it is well worth the expense. The only downside .. is that they have that day so packed full of stuff .. people were telling me that they would have liked to have more time to just look around the barn and visit with different breeders. The Bull Spectacular has moved to Medicine Hat Pen Show .. about the third week of December .. not sure if you knew that .. we went this year .. it is an okay deal .. they are still working on getting things organized .. lot's of calves (they .. which is great for guys that calve in Jan/Feb. .. not so easy to take an April bull calf too though .. they have a commercail pen show as well .. and a bit of a junior deal. If you are interested in doing something like this .. might be worth your trip to see it (Maybe you have )

I hear that Holdens have had a lot more interest from up here this year .. and that is a good thing IMO ..

Looking forward to the sale .. might be my last escape before we start calving !!! LOL !

Jen

Well, I just got around to watching the Holden addition of American Rancher on RFDTV (taped it the other day) while I liked some of the bulls, that cow herd he has is something else, didn't get to see them much, but what you did see was some top notch stuff. looked like a heck of a nice set of heifers selling too. Thought I was making a little progress with mine, after seeing those, realize I've got a heck of a ways to go. :nod:

rocket2222":3ezofin2 said:
Well, I just got around to watching the Holden addition of American Rancher on RFDTV (taped it the other day) while I liked some of the bulls, that cow herd he has is something else, didn't get to see them much, but what you did see was some top notch stuff. looked like a heck of a nice set of heifers selling too. Thought I was making a little progress with mine, after seeing those, realize I've got a heck of a ways to go. :nod:

I dont know Paul I doubt you will putting the horns back on anytime soon ;-)

I think you may be close. I sure like the looks of yours.

JHH":2k726lx2 said:
I dont know Paul I doubt you will putting the horns back on anytime soon ;-)

I think you may be close. I sure like the looks of yours.

You might be surprised, last year I was ready to bid on a horned heifer if the price was right, she was down in the sale order, and I thought she wouldn't bring that much being so far down, a really nice heifer though, I guess a few others had spotted her too, went past what I was willing to spend pretty quick, ended up selling for $7200 I think.

Latest posts