Holden Herefords females

Help Support CattleToday:

user1

Reaction score
WOW, that could knock your socks off.
numerous cows in the 30,000 range
Lots in the 25,000 range
I think they had a yealing heifer for over 20 and ine I believe at 13,000.
Who needs to sell bulls when you can get these prices.
And with flushing the cows he could probably do it again next year.
I wish I knew the average but I'll bet he topped 500,000 gross pretty easy.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1322uq63 said:
Yeah. Provided some weird genetic defect doesnt hit herefords like it done slapped the angus breeders in the face then he will command those prices. If a defect comes out like what was found in 1680 there will be some lawsuits waiting to happen and hereford prices will hit the skids.

WOW! What a coincidence. A few years ago the gene for a genetic defect similar to epilepsy was discovered in some of Holden's bloodlines. For a few years the breed was on pins and needles and sale averages suffered, not to mention the rumors that flew around. Late last year the dna test was developed to identify carriers of the bad gene and alot of animals were tested and many culled. I believe all of the cattle on their sale were tested free of the gene and it was a very good sale. So, might be a good time to buy up some 1680 descendents and hold out for the dna test. I didn't expect that the gene would have been found before some great herds were forced to sell, but Holdens have weathered the storm very well.

Camp Cooley must be getting into the herefords, bought the lot 1 female and heard there name a few times during that sale

TNMBP- would you get off it?

Did anyone catch what the cow 1028L sold for? Shes the dam of one of his new herd bulls I like. I was going to watch it because it started right when I get home from school, but I completely forgot. Now I did get to watch the Churchill sale and I thought there was some good cattle in there.

GRTiger85":39n343il said:
Camp Cooley must be getting into the herefords, bought the lot 1 female and heard there name a few times during that sale

It sure looks like it. They bought four of the top 12 selling females. They must think the breed is on the upswing.