Holden Bull Sale - 8203

Help Support CattleToday:

I did not pay a subscription fee to liveauctions either. My complaints were the pretty much the same. A hiccup every now and then when buyer's name was announced. I have had a much better experience with dvauctions. It was hard to get a good look at the cattle on liveauctions as well. Need to put the camera closer to the ring, but not sure there is room at Coopers for that to happen.

As far as access to watch, I don't think it is necessary to pay the fee to watch, you just aren't able to bid. Not 100% certain though. Interested in hearing from others who watched Coopers and Holdens and what they thought of the bulls this year. Also anyone hear how the sale went at LARRL - Fort Keogh?

I can't believe that they actually have gotten people to pay the subscription! To me, it's like inviting the public to your place for a sale, then charging them $10 a head for the bar-be-que lunch you serve right before the sale. I wonder how THAT would go over!

Now, both DVAuction.com and EDJEcast.com have a superior broadcast

Maybe they will start a cover charge at the door :lol: Like goin to a bar w/ a cover charge your already gonna spend all your money on woman and beer :banana: I completly agree DV is a by far better auction. I've bid on both and befor Live started a cover charge I used there auction once. I had a terrible time gettin my bid in and lost out on a few for that. I really like DV. I thought though it was up to the seller if they wanted to charge a subscription fee?

I thought that there wasn't much distinguishable difference in the Cooper bulls from what you saw on the liveauction feed. I would love to see a better ring shot of the animals. It did look to me like there were many internet bids so I am wondering how much it helped. I would think though from what I saw is that it slowed the pace a little bit and I know auctioneers do not want to lose the momentum in a sale.
It is probably wishful thinking but if you could have a split screen and show a video clip like Holden put out and the live screen it would be great.
The way I understand it is that with Superior on tv that there is a delay. With that delay it would be hard to stay in time. I don't want to stay on line because you might bid if the price is right. i am sure that Superior doesn't want 30 people tieing up the phone lines because they might bid.

Anyone know where I can view full details on the Cooper Sale results.....or anyone have the highlight's of the sale ???

Jenran

Jenran- they "should" be getting posted on LiveAuctions. I won't hold my breath though. If I get them I'll pass them along.

Also anyone hear how the sale went at LARRL - Fort Keogh?

I was there, if my figures are right the bulls averaged $2450 but they turned 8 out that they couldn't get a $1000 bid on. It was pretty sad overall because 13 of the bulls only brought $1500 or less besides the 8 they turned out.

07497= $5750(very good bull)
07410= $3250
07457= $3250(catalog error, his numbers were under 07451)
07479= $3250(good bull)

The heifers were outstanding and sold like it. I knew I wouldn't have enough money to just buy so instead of picking the best I just went through them and marked off the ones I didn't want. I only marked one heifer. They averaged $1640 on 20 head with the low sellers being 1 under $1000, 1 at $1000 and one at $1100.

3/12/09

JenRan,

Not to change the the topic here, but ...

I took a look at the Calgary Bull Sale catalogue and was very impressed with the bulls that you coinsigned to the sale.

Did they sell well (I hope so ...)?

Dave @ Maple Edge Herefords

Yes, I bought the 07473 bull. He was my #3 pick, really well put together and travels real easy. As this is an experiment I didn't want to pay top dollar and I am not sure the one I got isn't better balanced than the two I marked as good in the high sellers list but he will be 50# lighter right now. I guess 2 years from now I will have an initial report on my purchase :???:

I also bought the 08943 heifer when the guy I was running up quit me! I was wanting to get 5-8 of the heifers for $900 or so but I figured I was dreaming on that one.

Because I am here I suppose I should start posting some pictures of bulls.
PC290231.jpg

JC L1 Domino 4013P

PC290224.jpg

TH L1 Domino 6002(4013 son)

Januaryfeeding008.jpg

This years' bulls bellied up to the bunk

Doug, Thanks for the Miles City report. How did the herd bulls they sold look? Nice looking herd bulls you posted!

Thanks

Good lookin cattle there Doug. The JC bull, that would have to be a Carmichael bull.
I would think if they sold some of those Miles City bulls for the prices they did a guy could buy a couple or three and see how they grew out. A guy wouldn't be out much.
You know many times those bulls that aren't the very top sellers prove out to be better bulls when it is all in and all done.
Reminds me of a sale I went to one time in TX. An old guy came in and didn't know a lot about cattle. He had some oil money. He started talkin a little too much and more or less told those ringmen he was gonna get the top bull. He did get the top bull, he had to bid against that one set of bleachers(those bleachers were determined) but he finally won out at 30,000.
He left there and everyone was happy. He had the "best" bull in the sale and those guys had a darn good sale. And the ringmen had a story to tell over drinks for years to come.

Oh if you have some pics of those bulls out in the open that would be great. Or any hereford pics are real easy to look at.

user1":b8dxuqro said:
Reminds me of a sale I went to one time in TX. An old guy came in and didn't know a lot about cattle. He had some oil money. He started talkin a little too much and more or less told those ringmen he was gonna get the top bull. He did get the top bull, he had to bid against that one set of bleachers(those bleachers were determined) but he finally won out at 30,000.
He left there and everyone was happy. He had the "best" bull in the sale and those guys had a darn good sale. And the ringmen had a story to tell over drinks for years to come.

I honestly hope that the story you just told is a lie. That doesn't seem like a sound business practice at all. Now I've only been alive 16 years, but that would go against everything I've ever been taught about respect, not only for others but for yourself.

but that would go against everything I've ever been taught about respect, not only for others but for yourself.
Trust me I saw it happen, but I will say that the owners selling the bulls found out after the sale was definitely mad and did change some things. True story

CPL":2d5k2hoc said:
user1":2d5k2hoc said:

I honestly hope that the story you just told is a lie. That doesn't seem like a sound business practice at all. Now I've only been alive 16 years, but that would go against everything I've ever been taught about respect, not only for others but for yourself.

CPL, You should be proud to be 16 and have been taught good values of respect and trust which hopefully you will carry over into whatever business you pursue in life. However it is important to realize that, unfortunately, not everyone that you come into contact with or do business with shares those same values.

The challenge in your life will be to keep those values but to be on the alert for people you deal with that don't share those values. The trick is to conduct your business in a respectful way but business-like way which guards you against being "misused" by folks who are not repsectful nor honest nor trustworthy.

And unfortunately it is often very difficult to tell which of those sorts of people you are dealing with.

Cases like this sale situation above happen, and they happen regularly in one form or another. In the above case, whose fault is it that the buyer was "taken"?? Think about that and avoid allowing yourself to get into situations like that or similar. You can do so and still keep YOUR values, just understand that not every one shares them, unfortunately. Hopefully one day more will follow your example, but until then do your homework, write agreements down and use your ears more than your mouth....to start.

You will do well in life! If you were my kid I'd be real proud of you!

CPL":2ueg2jpu said:
user1":2ueg2jpu said:

Unfortunately, CPL, I witnessed something very similar happening when I was about your age. I lost respect for the ringmen as well as the breeder and I have never forgotten it. If you're bidding at a cattle or a horse auction, there's always the possibility that you'll be shilled. It's up to you to be aware, wary, and protect yourself.

George

CPL":6xf5ykn3 said:
user1":6xf5ykn3 said:

I wouldn't lose any sleep about if I were you CPL. I would say that is mild to the way unethical big business is conducted. Hardly a day goes by when a new swindler is not making the news. In this example of $30,000....peanuts compared to the $50B Madoff supposedly plundered.

HerefordSire":3cdant9p said:
I wouldn't lose any sleep about if I were you CPL. I would say that is mild to the way unethical big business is conducted. Hardly a day goes by when a new swindler is not making the news. In this example of $30,000....peanuts compared to the $50B Madoff supposedly plundered.

Yep, and the oil man at least got that $30,000 bull he probably was always proud of owning and showing off. He probably would not have been near as pleased with owning a $3000 bull. If the breeder was worth a flip, probably nobody alive could tell any difference between the calves out of a $3000 bull and a $30,000 bull there anyway.

Doug, Thanks for the Miles City report. How did the herd bulls they sold look? Nice looking herd bulls you posted!

Thanks for the compliment! A week later and I am still not sure how to call the Miles City bulls. They aren't real big and there is somewhat of a bottom end but I know some people who have used them before with great success(besides Jack and Mark) so I am still unsure. They were in what I call proper condition. I would say they were just hay-fed. We went over to the station and looked at the calves and they look suprisingly well-fed. I talked to Mike MacNeil about their condition and he said they are fed the same ration as every year but this year their intake is way up due to the weather. Their feed test got over Friday I belive so then the ration will change. There are some really good looking calves in the pens. All that being said I smile every time I see my new bull walk by, but I hope it doesn't turn into a frown when I see his calves.

Good lookin cattle there Doug. The JC bull, that would have to be a Carmichael bull.
Yes, James Carmichael. I bought him at the same sale as Keith sold the $20,000 bull(no I wasn't runner up for him) That was the first time he sold yearlings. He has been a fabulous bull but I about have all his blood I can use. The other bull is his son and this year I am going to keep a son of him. I guess that is what linebreeding is all about, any good bull should raise a son better than him.

c3b7eb9b.jpg

ddfe1fe3.jpg

TH L1 Domino 809 I am not sure the pictures do him justice
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=5D5059
If you click on the link you can probally tell I don't breed for the highest EPD's but instead for easy fleshing momma makers that will work for their owners.

Latest posts