Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

I am in the process of building 2 traps out of those big metal tube reels that cable comes on. They are about 7 ft across and 4 ft tall? They are kind of like a round bale feeder. I'm putting panels on all sides and they are easy to roll and load on a trailer w/ ramps.

I finally got a couple of pictures of the hogs my daughter trapped last weekend. The sow weighed 165 lbs, the two others were a little smaller. We had four piglets in the trap and if you look at one of the pictures there is another one outside.

Jack

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Thanks for the pics. 8) That's a nice looking trap, and works good too. Would that hold a 400 pound boar?

mnmtranching":2atr9orn said:
Thanks for the pics. 8) That's a nice looking trap, and works good too. Would that hold a 400 pound boar?

Mnmt,

I am not sure about the 400 lb boar. I might want to euthanize him from about a hundred yards with the 7mm. That sow was really banging on the panels. By the time she got loaded into the trailer her head was a bloody mess.

Jack

I guarantee hogs can EASILY get out of that trap if they want to! My traps are welded solid on all sides - nothing open and I've had them tear them up. I sure as heck wouldn't have been close enought to take those pics without those hogs being dead. A sow can tear you up faster then a boar - espicially with those pigs.

mnmtranching":7opy2g8f said:
You guys are having to much fun. :D Sure wish we had wild hogs up here. ;-)

I can fix you up! Just come get them. Help yourself.

Caustic that joke wan't all that funny. :lol: We are being told that a guy out by Nubbin Ridge has been releasing them on his place to "hunt". :shock: :shock: Every neighbor in the community is keeping a close watch. The guy doing the telling won't give anyone a name. Now no one speaks to him any more either. You all know what will happen when this guy is found out. Farmers have all kinds of ways.

A man who releases a feral hog may as well take a gun and put it to your head and take your wallet. There is not much difference.

backhoeboogie":26tio0ez said:
mnmtranching":26tio0ez said:
You guys are having to much fun. :D Sure wish we had wild hogs up here. ;-)

I can fix you up! Just come get them. Help yourself.

Caustic that joke wan't all that funny. :lol: We are being told that a guy out by Nubbin Ridge has been releasing them on his place to "hunt". :shock: :shock: Every neighbor in the community is keeping a close watch. The guy doing the telling won't give anyone a name. Now no one speaks to him any more either. You all know what will happen when this guy is found out. Farmers have all kinds of ways.

A man who releases a feral hog may as well take a gun and put it to your head and take your wallet. There is not much difference.

All I will say is a 12 gauge flare let your imagination do the rest.

Yeah you folks worry about a few wild hogs running around. :roll:
You can shoot them, trap them, sell them, eat them :cry: whatever 8)

I wish we had a few more hogs and a few less Gray Wolves :help:

Well in idaho we don't have hogds YET,,,, but those dang wolves are sure a pain in the butt,,, we are starting to get the mountain lions back, and they scare me,, ive been stalked by them before. The fish and game justs shot 2 wolves close to my ranch,, i quess they were young males from the yellowstone area, and thats over 400 miles away.

Fly-guy":1c970q5g said:
Found this web site last week - some interesting hog trapping information.

http://www.texasboars.com/

Fly-guy

Be careful in that site. There are some true gurus and then there are some experts who want to advise you who don't truly know diddly. I have been a member of it for a long time. Back in the old days and since they have started over too. They lost a lot of good posts when they started over. There are lots of good folks there but be careful of who you follow. It is easy to get steered in the wrong direction when you are just starting out.

I diversified a few years ago and tried my hand a raising those russian wild boars, very similar to the hogs you guys have, yours look like hybrids with tame hogs. I sold mine thru a broker here in canada. i was told most of them went to hunt farms in the US. your catch pens aren't near as heavybuilt as mine were. I have seen what these things can do, i had one escape and that was enough for me, i dispersed the herd and shot the escapee. If the hunt farms are buying Canadian boars why don't you just catch and sell them to the hunt farms down there. Another market i was told was in montreal for high end restaurants maybe you guys should check this option out, it might be good for some additional revenue.

Set traps near blackberry thickets. They love the roots. Best to wait until they clear your pasture of blakberrys first. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts