Hogs/ Cattle diseases

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
Anyone here run hogs with or adjoining cattle. I'm debating getting a 100 head or so as I have a ready supply of feed, but I'm afraid of diseases. Are there a lot of diseases that are communicable between hogs and cattle?

I've raised a few hogs in the past, but the were not in close proximity to the cattle.

Thanks,

JB

I know in years past my uncle used to fatten hogs and cattle together.
I was just a wee squirt, so don't remember much about it except that he did it for many years. I do remember that after he got rid of the last of the hogs, he still kept cattle in those same pens without any disease problems.

Ann B

J Baxter said:
Anyone here run hogs with or adjoining cattle. I'm debating getting a 100 head or so as I have a ready supply of feed, but I'm afraid of diseases. Are there a lot of diseases that are communicable between hogs and cattle?

I've raised a few hogs in the past, but the were not in close proximity to the cattle.

Thanks,

JB

J Baxter ............Don,t have those hogs in at calving time.

I really don't plan on running the hogs in with the cattle. I have about four or five acres on the backside of a forty that the cows will not utilize because of a slough, but there will be nothing but a fieldwire fence seperating them. I was thinking about fencing the slough to force the cows to drink clean water and I could just give it to the hogs for a wallow.

I appreciate everyone's input.

JB

J baxter.......The only reason I mentioned it..........Is that hogs will bother the cow if she is calving.

frenchie":2i773aot said:
J baxter.......The only reason I mentioned it..........Is that hogs will bother the cow if she is calving.

May even eat the cow and calf.

As long as the hogs stay on their side I don't think it will be problem. If they start trying to get out those will be the first eaten as I will lay them down on the spot. There is nothing worse than a hog for tearing up stuff.

JB

La4 angus
Some guys up here found out the hard way not to run the two together.Ended up with half-eaten cows and dead calves.

It won't be a problem as long as they are contained. That's been done for centuries. But as you know keeping them in a pen and keeping them in a pasture are two different things. They are as bad as goats. Like the old saying goes, if you can throw a bucket of water through a fence a hog or a goat can get through it.

Craig-TX

There is an article in the July issue of The Stockman Grass farmer about running hogs with cows. They are in favor of it. It helps keep the worms down in cows. The pigs have rings in their noses to keep them from burrowing, and they go around and eat cow manuer. The red hogs take the heat better, and 170-200lbs is the perfered weight, they sell them when they hit 400lbs or so the bigger ones do better. He gets about $110-170 per pig when he sells them.

The fencing he uses is 40 inch tall hot wire with three strands. The bottom starts at 6 inches and the middle one is between the two.

This person has been raising hogs and cows together for over 12 years and has not lost any to disease. This person is in Huston Texas I think the name is Brett Jones, that is indicated in the article.

Latest posts