Hogs Again

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
You know... I have been on this forum for 3 years now and everytime I read a hog complaint I think about how much I would enjoy helping a farmer out while doing something I enjoy at the same time. This is my second post in as many months, and although I continually hear complaints about hogs tearing everything up, I have yet to hear anyone allow me on their property to shoot em or trap em. I hunt ethically and trap the same way.

Let me know if I can help ya, if not... quit complaining about your hog problem.

Kansas

KANSAS":3d3jo5u7 said:
You know... I have been on this forum for 3 years now and everytime I read a hog complaint I think about how much I would enjoy helping a farmer out while doing something I enjoy at the same time. This is my second post in as many months, and although I continually hear complaints about hogs tearing everything up, I have yet to hear anyone allow me on their property to shoot em or trap em. I hunt ethically and trap the same way.

Let me know if I can help ya, if not... quit complaining about your hog problem.

Kansas

I don't let anyone hunt or trap on my land not worth the liabilities that go with it.

I was infested with them but now they've moved on. I trapped them myself. It would be kind of hard to let someone else on the property I don't know. Would have no problem giving you a hog if you wanted them. We don't allow anyone outside of the family to hunt our land. If word got out that I let someone in, lots of close friends would be crying foul.

I was trapping the neighbor's place out of their request and I think I am the only person they ever let in and it is only for hog trapping. They don't allow friends they know to come hunt.

Ditto on above. No one but the closest of friends and occasionally a family member hunts on our land. Too much at stake.

Yes, we have a lot of hogs and they do tear up a lot of stuff, but their not as bad as getting sued over, or worse.

I appreciate to offer, but it is a bit far to go for a hunt that is so very unpredictable, like BHB said, they move in and they move out. I may not see them for weeks at a time and then one morning it looks like some one plowed the field during the night.

I think the liability issue has stopped a lot of farmers from letting people hunt - even people they've known for years. I personally don't even like to have trick or treaters come up my steps, I'm afraid they'll trip and fall and I'll get sued, I meet them in the driveway!

To give you some insight on our hog problem here in south ga. We farm about 7,000 acres of cotton peanuts corn,etc. well hog moved in on us about 5 yrs ago. Where the heck did they come from? everyone seem to be asking then we got our answer.... It seem that some hog hunters went out to the coast and trapped some brought them back here and turned them out on the creeks. Within 5 yrs we were in deep dodo.
So the hog hunters (same ones that trapped them) come along and say I hear you got a hog problem on your farm. I will be glad to help you out.
Some farmers in the area allowed them to hunt their land. The next thing you know they are driving across your harrowed feilds. on property they are not allowed on. Heck we have had our gates pulled down. Got a call one night about 3am from the sherriff cows were out we get up go to the pasture and the gates are gone and theres tire marks and people and dog track every where. We found one gate but never seen the other to this day.
So with problems like this Its no wonder we dont allow people on our place.

Its the moronic actions of the people like that that give hunters a bad name. It casts a very negative image of what hunting is , or at least should be to the non hunting population. After hearing stories like this, its no wonder I cant find a rancher willing to let me hunt his property in eastern Washington. I don't blame them. I don't think I would let people hunt my place either.

kjones":1ztkvro1 said:
Its the moronic actions of the people like that that give hunters a bad name. It casts a very negative image of what hunting is , or at least should be to the non hunting population. After hearing stories like this, its no wonder I cant find a rancher willing to let me hunt his property in eastern Washington. I don't blame them. I don't think I would let people hunt my place either.

I deer hunt but I hate a deer hunter most out of them all they are the most unscruplous bunch there is. I have been in contact with Champion paper about the lease across the county road from me. I am leasing it next year to shut it down except for my grandkids. I am sick of the ATV's and the idiots on them as well as they shoot anything that moves.

Once again Caustic is right on the money. These hunters come in telling you one story then you go and check your place and find gates left open, fence cut, etc. And if one of 'em falls and gets hurt or twists an ankle - you're gettin' sued.

Year before last a lawyer came by and wanted to lease turkey hunting rights for him and his son. I figured I'ld rather have a daughter in a cat house then a lawyer on the property

dun

Being both a landowner and an avid deer hunter I see both sides. Fortunatley I have had permission to hunt other farms. One for the last 17 years. I have some self imposed rules of conduct that was taught to me by my father. Always be polite, curteous and helpfull. Never leave a gate open if you found it closed. Always, always ask before driving in any pasture or field even with an ATV. Never act irresponsibly with a firearm. Always offer your help to the landowner when he is in need. Always offer to share the bounty.

I have followed these rules closely without there ever being a problem between myself and the landowner. Every year now one landowner calls me up to confirm that I'll be hunting the next season. He likes the fact that me being on his land keeps trespassers off. He trusts me to take care of his place and report any problems like, trees on fences, cows calving, injured animals, coyote populations, wild dogs, tresspassers etc..

He also watches deer movement during the summer and reports locations and buck sightings to me which on several occasions has paid off with a wall hanger.

I hunt my own land also but sometimes let other people hunt. If they do not have the same conduct they hit the road.

As far as being sued is concerned I believe that Tennessee has a landowners rights law that says that if you grant someone permission to hunt on your property and they get hurt they cannot sue you UNLESS they can prove that you intentionally set a trap with the purpose of injuring them. I would have to look this up but I believe this is what the CPO told me.

kjones":29gj2qw6 said:

You might become their friend, first. Or, approach them at the end of hunting season. Offer to provide references from other landowners or hunting clubs / leases. Offer to help them with work - but get it in writing first that he'll pay you if he decides not to let you hunt. That way he can see what a responsible person you are before you hunt his place.

CB, you left out running their generators day and night, sighting in their guns, getting liquored up and then wondering why they "haven't see much less shot any deer".

dun":2bilcqiz said:
Year before last a lawyer came by and wanted to lease turkey hunting rights for him and his son. I figured I'ld rather have a daughter in a cat house then a lawyer on the property

dun

I am sure he would have drawn you up an Iron Clad contract for free. ;-)

Latest posts