• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

SkinMan

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Location
Bernice, Louisiana
I've been in this area for 18 years and this is the first hog I have seen. There goes the neighborhood....

 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
It won't be your last sighting either. You will need to kill 70% of the population each year just to keep the population level. They are a menace. Good luck with them.
 
OP
S

SkinMan

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Location
Bernice, Louisiana
I have a new AR-15 I've been wanting to try out. Hopefully I can run across him and see how good it performs.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,514
Reaction score
86
Location
Heart of Texas
SkinMan":116ujh67 said:
I have a new AR-15 I've been wanting to try out. Hopefully I can run across him and see how good it performs.

Good luck. They go down easy but don't always stay down. Brother shot one 5 times with a 44 magnum, knocked him down everytime but he kept getting up. I'd be looking for something with a little more wallup.
 

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
8,994
Reaction score
326
Location
Gulf Coast of South Texas
Your brother had bad shot placement or the wrong type of bullet for the job. Check those before you go buying guns. I have killed more hogs with a .22mag than any thing else.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,514
Reaction score
86
Location
Heart of Texas
Brute 23":3b9wy7zq said:
Your brother had bad shot placement or the wrong type of bullet for the job. Check those before you go buying guns. I have killed more hogs with a .22mag than any thing else.

Brute I'm not saying a 22 or a AR-15 won't kill ahog.....but I'd much prefer something that would drop him in his tracks 99.9% of the time IF as you said "I hit him in the right place". (I don't run as fast as I use to). :lol2:
 

tncattle

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
1,973
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
The AR-15 is more accurate but I'll take my AK-47 as it has more knock down power with it's 7.62x39 bullet. Plus if I accidentally drag it through the mud & muck it will shoot just as if it were cleaned spic and span. Crude & simple but very effective.
 

talldog

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Location
Willard, North Carolina
tncattle":1wl9xaci said:
The AR-15 is more accurate but I'll take my AK-47 as it has more knock down power with it's 7.62x39 bullet. Plus if I accidentally drag it through the mud & muck it will shoot just as if it were cleaned spic and span. Crude & simple but very effective.
My old 444 Marlin has also taken a few !!!! :)
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
I like my Browning 12 gauge, 24" barrel, with rifle sights. Add that + a brenneke slug, and you can take down anything short of a tank.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,514
Reaction score
86
Location
Heart of Texas
tncattle":2rxz9ucs said:
The AR-15 is more accurate but I'll take my AK-47 as it has more knock down power with it's 7.62x39 bullet. Plus if I accidentally drag it through the mud & muck it will shoot just as if it were cleaned spic and span. Crude & simple but very effective.

They've been that way since '47. But the AR-15 is much faster and more accurate on longer shots. That AK get's pretty heavy after a while as well. But it will definitely do the job.
 

BRYANT

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
5
Location
Okie
Start killing every one you see if you can't shoot them poison them just do what you got to do to get them gone. Then see if someone is turning then loose to hunt or work dogs on if so you might need to have a talk to them also
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,514
Reaction score
86
Location
Heart of Texas
BRYANT":3oq6uw7r said:
Start killing every one you see if you can't shoot them poison them just do what you got to do to get them gone. Then see if someone is turning then loose to hunt or work dogs on if so you might need to have a talk to them also

I know of a few "additives" that supposedly will take them out but have never used them. Just sure as hel someone would turn in that we had some kind of bad disease killing off the wild hog population and I'd spend the rest of my life behind bars.
 

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
8,994
Reaction score
326
Location
Gulf Coast of South Texas
The fines for poisoning hogs are thousands of dollars. There was some on in the area that got caught and it ended up costing them upwards of a $100K in fines.
 

Latest posts

Top