Hog Trap

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Built a trap for a farmer on the SA River. Trying to thin them out a little before its time to plant. :lol:

pics005.jpg

The big ones will go over the top of that. If you have a corner the little ones will climb out.

A guy I know put them in a 7 foot tall pen and lost most all of them because there was no top.

The shoats will also bound on top of the hogs and try to leap frog over. I have seen them ride on the backs of sows riding "piggy back."

Keep catching them brute and get rid of all you can. If you put a half cattle panel around the top of that perimeter and they won't escape on you.

We've finally thinned them out enough around here it seems. Either that or else all those drilling rigs have scared them out.

crossbreed curt":xygj5dnj said:
Get a Ak-47 take them out all at once. :lol: :lol2:

Have you ever seen what happens when 50 to 60 hogs and shoats hit net wire? Half of them get through and the other half bounce back. Line posts get sheared off at the ground. That AK=47 will have you building fence for the next two weeks solid.

It is best to use the method Brute is using. Trap 'em out. Then let the EXPERIENCED dog hunters come in and get the trap smart singles.

TexasBred":2m0fugej said:
Good job...now if you can do that everynight you may catch up with the breeding rate. :lol: :lol:

I didn't know that you could every catch up with the breeding rate.........

Keep on catching them hogs and make sure none come our way.

Arkansas Game and Fish say they want rid of the hogs but have made it agin the law to hunt them with dogs or trap them on public land.

Red Bull Breeder":21suxnee said:
Arkansas Game and Fish say they want rid of the hogs but have made it agin the law to hunt them with dogs or trap them on public land.

It must not be that bad there yet. Wait until all the hay fields look as tho they have been carpet bombed. Cemeteries have 3 foot deep wallows 40 feet long. They'll have a change of heart then.

Even the worst of the tree huggers get upset when Momma's tombstone has been toppled and busted by the hogs grubbing for earth worms. It is just something about the love for Momma. They'll be hog haters in no time.

Maybe they'll outlaw "game preserves." They are the folks who imported Russain boar in the first place and got us into this mess. Anyone selling feral hogs to game preserves out to be treated worse than a horse theif. Those cheesy fences won't hold 'em.

Caustic Burno":1aahaohs said:
TexasBred":1aahaohs said:
Good job...now if you can do that everynight you may catch up with the breeding rate. :lol: :lol:

That aint happening. I buried some special corn for them and I haven't had a hog in six months.

They can have 3 or more litters a year can't they and seems like they have big litters and never lose a pig. Keeping up with them is hard...catching up with them is impossible.

I was thinking about that.

I know some people in Huston. I could pull down my slaughter trailer and gut till it's full. Run up to Huston and finish them out then go back home. If I could drive it in 12 hours I would be all over it.

It's been a long time since I have had pork and they look good.

My counsin from texas shoots the meadim ones when they run out of bacon which is not that often whith that many hogs! :lol: If they shoot one thats to big the dump on a pile of dead ones. They hunt them on a lease and the ranch has like a place where they drag dead cows. Thats where they put the big ones.

Onthebit":2ouu04b5 said:
Are they edible?

Some of them are just like you take out of a fatning pen, and are very good eating.
Yet some have such a strong smell that I don't even try to butcher them.
You can usally tell by the smell of one wheither it's gonna be good eatin or not.

Cal

Caught a 250 pound sow several days ago and I might have figured out how to get rid of the rest of them. We shot her in the trap and haven't had any activity since.
:banana:

Went hog huntin' with some friends on Jan 1, up near Cameron, TX. Saw tons all day, got three 150 pounders.
Only brought home 2 though,
Made 'em into sausage, sure was tasty... :cboy:

Latest posts