Hog Trap

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":3ugn5wpe said:
What do the buying stations in Texas do with the hogs after they buy them?

They are slaughtered and sold as wild boar. It's a big deal overseas according to the Texas Health agent.
I don't know about the other buy facilities here they only buy October through April. Claim they can't keep them alive in hot weather .

backhoeboogie":hf9w147i said:
Caustic Burno":hf9w147i said:
Last I checked they were bringing.50 lb at the disposal site in Hardin County.

That trap could pay for itself pretty quick, that's 125 to 150 on the big boars.

I hauled 73 hogs to the buying facility in Lingleville. Mostly shoats. $38 a piece average.

My traps cost around $45 to make. A cousin over in Marshall has most of them borrowed. They've been over run. I may never see those traps again. :)

That's 2700 bucks nothing to sneeze at.
I caught 78 last year. The biologist told me if you have 100 hogs you have to catch 82 to stay even. As you can see I am not winning the war.

ga.prime":hlx5d0n3 said:
What do the buying stations in Texas do with the hogs after they buy them?

The buyer tells me they are go to New York to an oriental market. All his feed is paid by the "company" buying from him.

greybeard":1xz4xu5e said:
That video is where 3 round burst of full auto would be nice, preferably belt fed..

If 30 or more hit your fence at the same time, you'll change your mind. I've seen 6 inch posts sheered off. Trapping beats jump shooting any day.

backhoeboogie":1g9n02j3 said:
greybeard":1g9n02j3 said:
That video is where 3 round burst of full auto would be nice, preferably belt fed..

If 30 or more hit your fence at the same time, you'll change your mind. I've seen 6 inch posts sheered off. Trapping beats jump shooting any day.

Got that right! Had about 25 a few years back rooting in the yard and Mrs flower bed. The latter offense caused me to work night shift for several nights. Trapped a few they were still coming. I loaded the 16 up with double aught and set it by the front door.
When my Jack Russell growled telling me they had arrived I eased the door open. Picking out the biggest boar I put the bead on the shoulder and squeezed off a round. Rolled him and 24 others hit the pasture fence on the other side of the driveway with the boar following. I showed them took me two days to fix the fence, looked like an explosion in a steel wool factory.
Caught the boar couple weeks later he was hurt but he survived that load of double aught.

backhoeboogie":78tsnkl3 said:
greybeard":78tsnkl3 said:

Yup. Same here. I saw pack hit net wire and break the wooden posts off. The farmer was pooping bricks.

backhoeboogie":4hx00mdl said:
greybeard":4hx00mdl said:

Maybe, but I've had some experience on living things and belt fed full auto

greybeard":3gm79b3y said:
backhoeboogie":3gm79b3y said:
greybeard":3gm79b3y said:

Maybe, but I've had some experience on living things and belt fed full auto

Go for it. If you are way out away from fences you might be okay with any you miss. Its not a chance I will ever take again.

Thatsahogtrap.com hog traps are only $1900 and they are the original 12' round drop hog trap. Check them out. They're made in Bellville.
Your talking to the wrong people. They will pull $1000 worth of material from their barn, fire up a $5k welder, and build a trap for 2 days then say it didnt cost them nothing.

... then come on here and talk about how traps dont work... their pigs are too trap smart. 😂

Your talking to the wrong people. They will pull $1000 worth of material from their barn, fire up a $5k welder, and build a trap for 2 days then say it didnt cost them nothing.

... then come on here and talk about how traps dont work... their pigs are too trap smart. 😂
Lmao. This is true. The hogs are different here...

I have always hear that a cow is the dumbest animal on earth, but it is surprising how often they out smart cowboys.
Yeah idk how dumb they are. We bring them feed, we buy land to pasture them on, if they're not happy we're trying to figure out why and fix it - Care for their young. I think I work pretty hard - my cows seem to be mostly laying around and eating.

I had a really cool psychology teacher my first year of college. He had cattle and quail dogs and stuff so he applied a lot if the behavioral stuff to dealing with both animals and humans. It made the class very interesting and actually useful.