Hog Proof bulk cattle feeder needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Shiner

Reaction score
I feed out 3-6 calves at a time on a year round basis. Hogs are starting to come to my bulk feeder and eat the feed. I keep the calves being fed out in a 20 acre field and fencing out the hogs is not an option. My extension agent has suggested penning the calves in a hog proof pen to feed them out, but I don't like that option. Any suggestions for hog proofing the feeder? I was thinking of re-building it to raise the trough such that the calves (700lb and greater) can feed but the hogs can't reach it. Anyone have experience with this hog problem? Any suggestions?

I don't think that you're going to outsmart a hungry hog. Matter of fact, I don't think that anything is "hog proof".

My best advice to you is a hog trap or a good rifle.

grannysoo":nobr8l4k said:
I don't think that you're going to outsmart a hungry hog. Matter of fact, I don't think that anything is "hog proof".

My best advice to you is a hog trap or a good rifle.

Dont believe they make anything hog proof either.

Thanks for the advice. I have trapped several of them which may thin the herd a little. Maybe I will start marketing hogs as a compliment to my beef.

Shiner":2a73vrl4 said:
Thanks for the advice. I have trapped several of them which may thin the herd a little. Maybe I will start marketing hogs as a compliment to my beef.
You can market them as "grain fed"

dun":1c2v8c3w said:
Shiner":1c2v8c3w said:

Absolutely...and I hear they bring more money than the domesticated ones.

TexasBred":2c4pgf9j said:
dun":2c4pgf9j said:
Shiner":2c4pgf9j said:

I thought the big bucks was in "grass fed". Oh, maybe that's just cows

TexasBred":1tydveb2 said:
dun":1tydveb2 said:
Shiner":1tydveb2 said:

They do. Pen them and grain them for a couple of months to get some of the wild taste out of them, and they'll sell like greedy little pigs.

The good thing about ranching, rasing cows and eating beef is that you get to do what you want--run your own show. My customers want grain fed "natural" beef. That works good for me becuase we have been in a drought for 2 years and we don't have any grass. I have been feeding hay, shipped in from 275 miles away, since June. We did joke about the grain fed wild hogs. I smoked a whole hind quarter of the last one (125 pound male) on Saturday and it was really good.

I thought the big bucks was in "grass fed". Oh, maybe that's just cows

Welll dun we all know (or have been told) that grass fed is best as that's what they were created to eat. Now roots and nuts might come into that as well, along with some rotting flesh (don't tell the grass fed folks that). Personally.....I want a little fat on my chops, bacon and in my sausage. ;-)

have you tried putting up a hot wire on the inside of your 20 acre lot to keep the hogs from getting in. hot wire works well to not only keep critters in but some out as well. just a thought.

Latest posts