Hog Processing Grandpas Way

Help Support CattleToday:

I sortof like the spicy flavor of the Praire Belts myself but I'd forego the meal if I could peg a vegan with one.

As for sausage you cannot go wrong with bratwurst ,YUM !
Great for breakfast ,throwing on the barbie or an old fashioned weeny roast over an open fire . :nod:

You know for all the times I have travelled through Germany I have never had a real home made Brat there . There was always too many other great food I wanted to try first .

I agree about brats and they are in the top five favorite sausages on my list. The combination of spices is really hard to beat. I like pretty much any brat but there is one in particular I really like. Its recipe is a little different than what some of the purists accept but the end result is hard to beat. I think I made some out of Hoss's swamp heifer and I think he too would agree its a pretty acceptable sausage.

Not sure about that. There are those vietmanese pot bellied pigs people get to $hit in their houses but I guess you could eat that little sucker too if you wanted.

When I was young they had ''meat type'' and ''lard type'' hogs. Jo I think is still searching for some of the ''lard type''. When I was a kid you could get a lard can full from a big hog and now you can't get that much lard from a trailer load!

I know exactly what you mean. I did some hybrids a couple of years ago and while they were great for the table and dressed out well they only had about a quarter inch of backfat on them. There are not very many small hog producers here so finding some of these old heritage breeds that haven't been bred to be lean has proved difficult. Here are the two prospects I've crossed from a hybrid back with some other fatter crosses. I'll be hauling these off this week so the federal inspector can put his stamp on them to make them safe for me to use.

IMG_7143_zpsecc1ed84.jpg

Jogeephus":2zjf09fr said:
Not sure about that. There are those vietmanese pot bellied pigs people get to $hit in their houses but I guess you could eat that little sucker too if you wanted.

I have been told that they are excellent barbecued. :D

My husband's family used to butcher hogs like that when he was growing up and a young adult. He said that he would still like to butcher one, but our winters don't get cold enough or stay cold enough long enough to do one and he doesn't want to build a smokehouse that he has to air condition.

chippie":11dqyn4t said:
Jogeephus":11dqyn4t said:

I have been told that they are excellent barbecued. :D

My husband's family used to butcher hogs like that when he was growing up and a young adult. He said that he would still like to butcher one, but our winters don't get cold enough or stay cold enough long enough to do one and he doesn't want to build a smokehouse that he has to air condition.

Actually, you don't need a/c cause when the meat goes in the smokehouse its already cured and the smoke is more for flavor and bug retardent. In some areas they hang the hams in a barn hoping for hot summers to bring out the nuttiness. I hung one in my attic for a couple of years and it was really nutty tasting.

Hey can yall tell me if this is a good deal its the guy I posted his link in this forum this is what hes selling tell me if you think this is a good buy. this is what he said to me in an email.

Hello,
I have 2 cut boars 1-425lb and1-325.......$250 and $190. also have 4 from 50lb-90lbs......$1 pr lb......one big hog is hamshire x the rest are mostly durock x berkshr/hampshr