Hog Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
I was just thinking to myself the other day and I came up with this question. Can you put implants that are used in cattle into a hogs ear and will they work? I just ask this question because I used to raise show hogs and there were some that wouldn't gain like I wanted them to. If it does work it could be very helpful to some of the hog raisers.

I don't know if they still do but years ago they made hog implants, but i wouldn't use beef implants in them, probably make some kind of monster hog that moos. :lol:

it would be a good idea. i hate berkshires because they dont grow at all for feeder pigs. i like the chesters because they grow like no other. but it is a good idea

I believe that Lutalyse is a hog derivative hormone that works on Cattle, Horses, and Hogs.

Don't know why other hormones wouldn't work?

sewall":1rxwnb4k said:
I was just thinking to myself the other day and I came up with this question. Can you put implants that are used in cattle into a hogs ear and will they work? I just ask this question because I used to raise show hogs and there were some that wouldn't gain like I wanted them to. If it does work it could be very helpful to some of the hog raisers.

Implants come with a label. If the label doesn't have instructions for Hogs then you are on your own. And, likely in violation of the law.

sewall":13surl1w said:
I would recommend feeding Paylean.

FlaAngus":39fp88gw said:
I don't know if they still do but years ago they made hog implants, but i wouldn't use beef implants in them, probably make some kind of monster hog that moos. :lol:

Hogzilla ;-)

yeah paylean is great for a few pigs but you shoul dtry feeding 1000 pigs paylean. you will be broke

Moocow11":1br1hrs2 said:
yeah paylean is great for a few pigs but you shoul dtry feeding 1000 pigs paylean. you will be broke
I am not sure what it is you are saying. Do you feed paylean at a higher rate per ton when feeding 1000 hd vs 10 hd ?

somn":83mxf73e said:
Moocow11":83mxf73e said:
I am not sure what it is you are saying. Do you feed paylean at a higher rate per ton when feeding 1000 hd vs 10 hd ?
no i think hes sayin that it costs alot to feed 1000 head.

cattleluvr18":lektjn9k said:
somn":lektjn9k said:
Moocow11":lektjn9k said:
no i think hes sayin that it costs alot to feed 1000 head.
I didn't read it that way I read it to be a great deal for a couple pigs but a person will go broke feeding 1000. Seems unless they changed the mixing rate it is a loser either way or a winner either way. I've always seen a benefit when feeding paylean but we haven't owned any of our own hogs for awhile maybe things have changed. I doubt it. The price of hogs haven't run in the ditch that bad over the last year.

Moocow11":lvz5m7yc said:
Smithfields are using paylean on their finishers, so it must be cost effective, they probably pay a lot less though with the volume they purchase.

well around here it is very expensive. i would be broke if i fed 500 pigd paylean. it is like 50 $ for a 40 lb bag of a paylean mix.

Moocow11":1bsohspz said:
well around here it is very expensive. i would be broke if i fed 500 pigd paylean. it is like 50 $ for a 40 lb bag of a paylean mix.
Heck if you are buying 40 lbs of Paylean 9 premix for $50 that is dirt cheap. Last time I bought any it was $29.75 per pound of paylean 9 premix. And I still made money on my investment. I'm not sure what your doing wrong if you think you will go broke. Hog prices are not that low yet.

well this pre mix you have to feed 1/2-1 lb per 5.5 lbs of feed and your feeding 11 lbs a day for 21 days and then for 500 pigs that is $26,250 that is $52.50 per pig.

Moocow11":3q77f87z said:
well this pre mix you have to feed 1/2-1 lb per 5.5 lbs of feed and your feeding 11 lbs a day for 21 days and then for 500 pigs that is $26,250 that is $52.50 per pig.
So at what level are you feeding the paylean at? Something sounds terribly wrong with your figures. Even if you are topdressing paylean 180 you are over dosing these hogs something terrible. Going broke feeding it to 1000 hd has nothing to do with the cost of the paylean it has to do with incorrect dosage.

my figures would be at 18 grams of paylean.

ok i will do it again.

paylean premix. feed 1lb(18 grams) of the premix for every 5.5 lbs of feed. you are feeding 11lbs of feed.
and you feed it for 21 days. it cost 1.25 a lb

2 lbs(paylean mix) x 21 days x 1.25=52.5 x 500 pigs=26,250

Moocow11":2pjkg862 said:
my figures would be at 18 grams of paylean.

ok i will do it again.

paylean premix. feed 1lb(18 grams) of the premix for every 5.5 lbs of feed. you are feeding 11lbs of feed.
and you feed it for 21 days. it cost 1.25 a lb

2 lbs(paylean mix) x 21 days x 1.25=52.5 x 500 pigs=26,250

If I understand you correctly you are feeding two pounds of your paylean premix per hog per day. 1 pound of your paylean premix per head per day supplies the equivalent of the 18 gram per ton level of Paylean in complete feed. So really you are feeding the equivalent of 36 gram per ton level of Paylean in complete feed. Wow as I stated earlier you are over dosing these hogs something terrible. I sure hope you do not live in the United States Of America.

Moocow11":lgw3dy05 said:
what i typed is supposed to be 9 grams per 5.5 lbs a day. not 18.
Let me see if I understand you correctly every pound of your premix contains 9 grams of ractopamine hydrochloride per pound? Or are you saying every pound of your premix supplies the equivalent of the 9 gram per ton level of ractopamine hydrochloride in complete feed? Also are you not concerned with feeding 11 pounds of feed per head per day? Never ever do I remember having that high of a feed intake per day in market hogs.

Latest posts