Hog farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1wb45frm said:
hurleyjd":1wb45frm said:
If a person decided to raise some hogs where would you find a sale barn that would handle them.

My local sale barn is a great place to buy sheep goats and hogs... I buy my hogs from there they have 5x more hogs than they do cattle.

Same here, including donkeys and horses.

hurleyjd":3crdqlni said:
If a person decided to raise some hogs where would you find a sale barn that would handle them.

There's a place here to take them. You get what they guy is willing to pay though.

hurleyjd":3nl384nh said:

I meant to post here I sell on a weekend a good 4-6 for BBQ hogs around 75-100lbs but I kill and scrape them and also rent a cooker for them to cook it on with a burn barrel to get their coals to shovel in. They love it and It is very profitable.

backhoeboogie":u0iw6nxq said:
Caustic Burno":u0iw6nxq said:
Does anyone raise Berkshire or Chester Whites any longer.
Grandpa used to have about 150 of them.

I used to could tell you several people raising hogs. Now I know of no one. Not one person.

Most of the breeders I knew ran Durocs. A friend used to provide crosses "Blue Butts" for kids in FFA and he doesn't do that any longer. CB I know of no one with hogs.

No one raises them here anymore either. Everyone went to goats.

farmerjan":33ytde0i said:
One of the closeby counties does something similiar with poultry. The kids sign up to get chicks and they get them, from 5 to 25, and they have to raise them, keep 4-H records, show them at the fair and then donate a percentage back to be sold to fund the next batch of chicks for the next year. They had about 15 kids do it this year. The remainder of the poultry belong to the kids that raised them. They can sell them, or alot of them keep them for an egg flock and can sell the eggs and have eggs for the family. So many of the families in this area don't have the space for a calf so this gets the kids a start. Some do it one time and don't like the chickens, some kids go from there to goats or sheep or more. Never heard of the pig deal, pretty neat.

My oldest is doing it right now. 4h chick chain. The show is in 3 weeks. Hes really excited. Its the first show hes been in.

Margonme":33ytde0i said:
skyhightree1":33ytde0i said:
hurleyjd":33ytde0i said:

My local sale barn is a great place to buy sheep goats and hogs... I buy my hogs from there they have 5x more hogs than they do cattle.

Same here, including donkeys and horses.

Mine too. Sometimes the run so many goats and hogs through before the cows that everybody gets bored with it. Last time I was there the ran so many somebody yelled out "Ya'll got any cows back there?!?!"

Caustic Burno":2u5nflbb said:
Does anyone raise Berkshire or Chester Whites any longer.
Grandpa used to have about 150 of them.

My son has a Berkshire sow that just had a litter of 11 today in Mauriceville.

Craig Miller":369oywxj said:

Mine too. Sometimes the run so many goats and hogs through before the cows that everybody gets bored with it. Last time I was there the ran so many somebody yelled out "Ya'll got any cows back there?!?!"[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: That's funny the big buyers here buy goats pigs and cows so they don't mind I don't either

A couple of local barns here have went to doing monthly small animal sales. They move a bunch of goats, sheep, hogs, chickens, and even rabbits.

Funny, true story story about pigs. My wife is a true city girl--Boston born and raised. We met in upstate New York in a town on the Canadian border. Decided one summer to go to the provincial fair in Ottawa. Like most fairs they had a baby animals exhibit complete with a Hampshire sow and pigs. My wife looked at them and asked "What are they?"
"Pigs" I said and she immediately asked "why are they black?"
Seems the only pigs she had ever seen were in cartoons and she thought they only came in pink!! True story.

When do yall cut your pigs? My in laws bought 17 pigs last month. They ranged in age from 7 weeks to 4 months or so. I suggested we cut them as we took them out of the truck but they didn't want to do that. Now she says they want to cut them but will need help...I know that means I'll be doing all the catching and holding. How do you hold them after they are getting bigger? Is there some kind of squeeze?

When I was in AG class many years ago we cut a boar that weighed around 400 lbs enough of us boys to get him down and hold him. The man wanted him cut to be able to butcher him in the future.

Catch the back legs and steer them into a barrel, stand the barrel up with the back legs hanging out of the barrel and the body in the barrel. Wear ear plugs.

For the little ones a 5 gallon bucket works.

Craig Miller":2b04wzgv said:
When do yall cut your pigs? My in laws bought 17 pigs last month. They ranged in age from 7 weeks to 4 months or so. I suggested we cut them as we took them out of the truck but they didn't want to do that. Now she says they want to cut them but will need help...I know that means I'll be doing all the catching and holding. How do you hold them after they are getting bigger? Is there some kind of squeeze?

3-5 days old for me if born with me. I have cut up until about 75 lbs but its a major job. I buy a lot of 20-30lb pigs and put them down in a 5 gallon bucket with someone pulling legs back and or I cut or hold. If there is a squeeze we never had one and only squeeze we had was our hands. When my grandpa was raising hundreds within 5 days teeth clipped cut and tail cut eat notched.

Just grab by back legs then straddle him and stand up with his front legs kinda hooked behind your legs , perfect height for cutter to work. I've done hundreds that way. On real young one lay him on top of a 55 gal drum put back of his neck against your belly grab back legs a touch the drum with one leg your belly with the other. Makes the nuts pop up for cutter to get easy.

Latest posts