Hoff Gold Stock

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
Wow. 1628#yw. Anyone know the actual weights? That is pounding the scales.

Youre right that is TOO heavy!!! Some of these breeders need to keep in mind that there are about half females come out of these matings and we have to use some of them to replace the cowherd...hopefully an effiecint cowherd. A yearling that big is a scary thing...I dont want to run any 2500 pound mature cows!!!

tapeworm":2hrh9y5m said:
Youre right that is TOO heavy!!! Some of these breeders need to keep in mind that there are about half females come out of these matings and we have to use some of them to replace the cowherd...hopefully an effiecint cowherd. A yearling that big is a scary thing...I dont want to run any 2500 pound mature cows!!!

Ever hear of a terminal sire? Producers need to buy bulls that fit their needs; if this bull is too big for your operation, don't buy him. There have been a lot of heifers sold to feedlots the last few years that might have been more profitable if this bull had sired them.

Frankie":35izqp8c said:
ollie":35izqp8c said:

Who is he?
Hoff Gold Stock 160 204. Reg # 14806234. A Gold Label son out of a Hoff Investor S C 929 daughter. SVF Bandolier close up in the background.

tapeworm":md5wl4j3 said:
Go ahead and bust out with the perfect yw for a bull tapeworm.

la4angus":zu57mrnm said:
Frankie":zu57mrnm said:
ollie":zu57mrnm said:

Who is he?
Hoff Gold Stock 160 204. Reg # 14806234. A Gold Label son out of a Hoff Investor S C 929 daughter. SVF Bandolier close up in the background.

Thank you.

Frankie":3m8zjgtc said:
Thank you.
You're welcome Frankie. SVF Bandolier had the ability to put much muscle on his offspring. To bad there is no semen left and I don't have any.

I just received Hoff Gold Stocks actual WW and YW.

WW 940
YW 1562

He is an extremely long and thick bull.

klasqh":3tjnj3hx said:
How tall??
I didn't get his actual height, but Molly said his frame score would be about a 7.5. That would put him standing about 53.4" to 54" as a yrlg and should be about 58" to 60" as a 2 yr old.

la4angus":1hhc028y said:
I just received Hoff Gold Stocks actual WW and YW.

WW 940
YW 1562

He is an extremely long and thick bull.
Has to be a pretty good bull to weigh that.
He obviously is long and wide
He also must have meat hanging on every hook!

Lot20.jpg

BW 94 lbs.
205 WT 897 lbs.
365 WT 1,628 lbs.
IMF 5.48
REA 17.0
Sire: Hoff Gold Label S C 900 541
Dam: Hoff Black Bell S C 865 160

http://www.anguselist.com/volume5/v5anguselist164.html

Frankie":11v4hwcz said:
tapeworm":11v4hwcz said:

Ever hear of a terminal sire? Producers need to buy bulls that fit their needs; if this bull is too big for your operation, don't buy him. There have been a lot of heifers sold to feedlots the last few years that might have been more profitable if this bull had sired them.
Guess thats what you call a condesending question????LOL Have I ever heard of a terminal sire???? Yep..for about 30 something years probaly...maybe longer...not quite sure when that term came about. Youre right that everbody needs to buy bulls that fit em. But I know that you are not naive enough to think that all female progeny of terminal sires take a ride down the rail before they ever shed baby teeth. Someof those cattle work there way into the cowherd....especially with markets like they are now and demand for replacements as high as it is. Just how big will those cows mature??? What does that do to the average size of the cowherd??? All the time chasing those bigger and bigger numbers....to use on a cowherd that seems like to me is increasing in size ever year. Sure theres some move by a few to moderate cow size..but is it to little to late??? You may know all of those answers Frankie...I dont. I read your postings Frankie...you keep up with the commercial side of this business. Some breeders dont and you know that to

My point is that some (not all) registered breeders dont have an end in sight...they just keep on chasing bigger numbers.....bigger weights and bigger ribeyes. Got to be bigger than the guy down the road..or bigger than the guy with the fancy ad on the opposite page. It would be helpful to the commercial rancher if they would get together with us and OUR customers...feeders (if you dont feed your own), packers, retailers....and decide where this cowherd is going to be in 10 years...because thats the kind of stuff I think about. Our retailers and packers are telling us what they want...moderate, consistent carcasses...not HUGE carcasses. I'm trying to tell breedrs what I want...moderate, efficent cows...not HUGE cows. We need to all be listening to each other instead of just always chasing bigger numbers. Thats my 2 cents and that may be all its worth

Frankie youre a smart guy...I always try to read all your postings...I know that youre real good at sortin peoples postings line by line and I expect that of you. LOL So read it over, sort it out then tell me where I'm wrong.
P.S. Please take it easy on me cuz I'm old and frail. LOL

ollie":zixg0qn9 said:
tapeworm":zixg0qn9 said:
Go ahead and bust out with the perfect yw for a bull tapeworm.
Hello there Ollie..sorry youve been waiting all week. Tell you what I'm thinking about doing...thinking about trying to get in here more than once a week..so I can keep up better and you wont have to wait on me so long. Should have done it this week since I havent been sleeping so good having nightmares about that big black elephant we're talking about. LOL Maybe if you can tell me how to get one of those jobs youve got posting on the cattle boards all day i can do that instead of trying to runa cow operation for less than minimum wage...on second thought..never mind..I wouldnt swap places with you anyhow. Lets see..you said

"Go ahead and bust out with the perfect yw for a bull tapeworm."

Well Ollie I guess if theres a perfect weight Ive never figured out what it is. Do like Frankie says and buy a bull that fits your needs. Sorry I cant help you with that...but heres what I can do...I can durn sure tell you what the outliers are...and to me this is one of them. Problem is that some breeders will feel like they have to top that one. Its a vicious cycle where to many of em (my opinion) chase the biggest ww,yw, and the biggest ribeye. Let me give you a little challenge to "bust out" with Ollie...this is a pretty simple test so dont be scared. At what point do the most severe discounts for heavy carcasses come in on most grids??? Okay..now tell me what weight carcass a 1600 pound FINISHED animal will get you. Pretty simple math....I can do it in my head and I'm sure you can to

Its my feeling that there is no place for 1600 pound yearling weights with the modern cattle business. Sure it will improve the offspring from some cowherds...what do you think those are..corrientes or longhorns??? maybe a smaller framed angus??? Now do you think that is how this bull will be used??? or do you think he might be used on females that already have an acceptable or even an ideal yearling weight?? Maybe just to bump there numbers on up there. If english breeders keep on doing that and if continetal breedrs will start working on moderating frame and increasing imf one of these days there wont be any difference in the two.
Ollie I'm sure youre a loit smarter than I am about feeding cattle...I'm sure youve been feeding cattle a whole lot longer than I have...so i am anxious to learn from you. What purpose does a 1600 pound yearling serve in the feeding business?? How about the packer and retailer??? Dont matter if you like em or not (and I dont) Walmart and Ibp are the wave of the future with case ready product...you better bet your ass that other big retailers will be trying to play catch up with them. Have you ever even heard of case ready, portion size or fitting the tray? I bet you have cause youre a smart, smart guy. But lots of people havent. Wont be long till fitting the box will be a term nobody even remembers. Walmart is telling us through Ibp what size they want their case ready cuts to be and theyre only going to have so many different sizes of styrofoam trays. We will have to conform to that or take discoutns one of these days. Just how big a ribeye do you want anyhow? Is hanging off the plate not big enough? You want it to hang off both sides of the kitchen table?? If we just listnen, Suzie homemaker and steakhouse Stevie tell us what they want..tell us through the retailer and packer...many say that 16 inches for a ribeye is big enough...do you hear something different? the steak lover still has to be able to AFFORD a steak. Just how thick is a 17 or 20 inch ribeye going to be and people still be able to buy it without getting a payment book with it? Looks to me like itll be so thin that you cant even cook it on both sides without burning it up....do you care about a good eating steak for beef lovers? I darn sure do...I want em to keep coming back

Simple point to me...or maybe I'm just simple...1600 pound yearlings produce outlier carcasses if finished at 12 months..and we dont do that anyhow. Some of you will argue that we COULD finish them earlier if we used those elephant genetics. But dont forget that theres a whole segment of the cattle biz...the stockers and steermen...that depend on business as usual..not to mention the huge grasslands like the Flinthills and the winter wheat crops that arent suited to running cows and calves....we need stocker cattle for them. We cant wean a 900 pound calf and do anything with him except send him straight to the lot. That brings to mind another problem....with 70 or 80 percent of ranches calving in the spring what do you think will happen if we start finishing cattle at 11 or 12 months??? Packers and feedlots that just work a few months out of the year. LOL I doubt it!!! Stocker outfits give us a valuable service...they take those mostly spring calves and turn them into year around supply...even if they have to back them up or forego maximum gains...cant do that if we keep chasing weights like you want.

Well anyhow Ive rambled on long enough Ollie...sure glad Ive got you to teach me something....I know I asked you a lot of questions...you dont have to answer them all at once...Ill keep waiting...bust on out there hotshot

tapeworm":12zntzn9 said:
Frankie":12zntzn9 said:
tapeworm":12zntzn9 said:

Guess thats what you call a condesending question????LOL Have I ever heard of a terminal sire???? Yep..for about 30 something years probaly...maybe longer...not quite sure when that term came about. Youre right that everbody needs to buy bulls that fit em. But I know that you are not naive enough to think that all female progeny of terminal sires take a ride down the rail before they ever shed baby teeth. Someof those cattle work there way into the cowherd....especially with markets like they are now and demand for replacements as high as it is. Just how big will those cows mature??? What does that do to the average size of the cowherd??? All the time chasing those bigger and bigger numbers....to use on a cowherd that seems like to me is increasing in size ever year. Sure theres some move by a few to moderate cow size..but is it to little to late??? You may know all of those answers Frankie...I dont. I read your postings Frankie...you keep up with the commercial side of this business. Some breeders dont and you know that to

My point is that some (not all) registered breeders dont have an end in sight...they just keep on chasing bigger numbers.....bigger weights and bigger ribeyes. Got to be bigger than the guy down the road..or bigger than the guy with the fancy ad on the opposite page. It would be helpful to the commercial rancher if they would get together with us and OUR customers...feeders (if you dont feed your own), packers, retailers....and decide where this cowherd is going to be in 10 years...because thats the kind of stuff I think about. Our retailers and packers are telling us what they want...moderate, consistent carcasses...not HUGE carcasses. I'm trying to tell breedrs what I want...moderate, efficent cows...not HUGE cows. We need to all be listening to each other instead of just always chasing bigger numbers. Thats my 2 cents and that may be all its worth

Frankie youre a smart guy...I always try to read all your postings...I know that youre real good at sortin peoples postings line by line and I expect that of you. LOL So read it over, sort it out then tell me where I'm wrong.

I didn't think I would be able to say this but a pretty good post Parasite.
The breeders I hate are the ones you were talking about, as I to want the moderate cow. You will be wrong to Parasite if you don't believe that just wait on Frankies reply.

Caustic Burno":2yaw8iaz said:
tapeworm":2yaw8iaz said:
Frankie":2yaw8iaz said:
tapeworm":2yaw8iaz said:

The breeders I hate are the ones you were talking about, as I to want the moderate cow. You will be wrong to Parasite if you don't believe that just wait on Frankies reply.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, Frankie is a lady.

greenwillowherefords":1bwz0xc2 said:
Caustic Burno":1bwz0xc2 said:
tapeworm":1bwz0xc2 said:
Frankie":1bwz0xc2 said:
tapeworm":1bwz0xc2 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, Frankie is a lady.

That could be a topic of disussion grasshopper

Far be it from me to debate that. I won't even go there.

I have stated multiple times on these boards that the 1,000-1,200 pound cow is the ideal size to mate to the 2,000 pound bull and produce calves that finish at the right size and age. So you know who I agree with.

The EPD's of these bulls do not seem to be excessive.
I don't think they will be larger than other cattle
the bulls seem to be fed very well. So comparing YW with other herds that have not had as much feed is like comparing apples and oranges.

Compare WW and YW within each herd compare epd's of bulls in differant herds.

Hoff's do have real good carcass numbers

Latest posts