Hobby?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no artistry whatsoever in my body or in my soul....
So I find myself very jealous of the beautiful things I see created on this thread....
My only talents for most of my life have been with livestock but in my younger days I could not find a way to promote it and was encouraged to do other things like school and work , so the horses and cows have always been my hobby...I used to like to hunt a fish but I generally don't love to eat fish so thought is awaste of time...the hunting....I did not want anyone to associate me with the trashy hunters we have around here so I just eat beef. Now I stay so busy just trying to do maintenance and repairs around here that I can not find time to do anything else....today I have to try to repair the ceiling collapse that happened last week when a pipe froze and busted and irrigated the ceiling....

M5farm":1btv93ao said:
While I'm not an expert I do like using my lathe.

Very nice M5. CMF1 is a woodworking guy, too. He sells his wooden spoons at the Jazz Fest.

Deepsouth":2segl5bt said:
I'm a very hobby oriented person. I've had many if you count sports from calf roping to golf. Not to mention hunting. I also have a creative flare. Taught myself guitar but my favorite hobby is wood carving. Although I haven't had much time for it in the last few years.

Here's some of my work.

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

This coyote was my first carving ever. I never painted it.

IMAG0407.jpg

Dang fine work, Deepsouth. Alright, it is time for us southern boys to put on a show.

Made this for a bar called The Bell Tower. The owner's name is Barbie.
WP_000111.jpg

I have a cousin that got into collecting non-sports trading cards thinking they would increase in value and he could cash in on the appreciated value.

Great talent we have on the board :D .

Deepsouth, M5 and CB - you are all using wood but the hobbies are so diverse. Is there a particular wood that you prefer. I know my dad used to make bows and that had to be made from a certain wood, just can't remember. Thanks for putting up pics.

JWB - that's really nice.

Wow, I agree there is some real talent on this board, M5, deep south and JW thanks for sharing the pics. You guys have real talent! In 8th grade my best friend talked me into a art class with him, after several, several, I mean several tries to draw an eagle for a painting project I finally talked my teacher into drawing it for me. In hind sight it was probably because he asked to see all my attempts at drawing it myself and I showed him them. :?

Thanks again for sharing.

I really like to work with cedar next would be spalted red oak.
I also like hackberry because of its character.

alisonb":1pbjzbk4 said:
Great talent we have on the board :D .

Deepsouth, M5 and CB - you are all using wood but the hobbies are so diverse. Is there a particular wood that you prefer. I know my dad used to make bows and that had to be made from a certain wood, just can't remember. Thanks for putting up pics.

JWB - that's really nice.

I prefer bois d'arc,hickory or ironwood. Two in the pic were bois d'arc and one was hickory I backed with
rattlesnake skin.
I have built them out of cedar, purpleheart, ipe and bamboo.
Cedar has to be backed by rawhide or bamboo.
It can take a year to get from starve to bow. Find the right tree cut it and split it
into four staves and let air dry in the loft for six to eight months.

M5, My dad and I used to do a lot of leather work but we got out of it because we can't wear any of it out so there's no need to keep going. :lol: I still wear a pair of shotguns with full length buckles made out of elk hide that my dad made as a teenager. They've got his brand carved decoratively into the belt. Between both of us working the pack stations and working cattle, those things must have a million miles on them.
I've been kicking around making a pair of batwings for my wife and son and probably would if it would ever go ahead and rain enough to keep me in the house for more than an hour.

Photography, playing piano, reading (several books a week), some writing, snow/water skiing, country swing/square/ballroom dancing, horse riding/training, dog training/showing, hunting, camping, used to do some martial arts... I think that's all. I don't get to do all of those on a regular basis nowdays, but maybe a little more frequently when I *finally* get done with school.

milkmaid":3rgr0b54 said:
Photography, playing piano, reading (several books a week), some writing, snow/water skiing, country swing/square/ballroom dancing, horse riding/training, dog training/showing, hunting, camping, used to do some martial arts... I think that's all. I don't get to do all of those on a regular basis nowdays, but maybe a little more frequently when I *finally* get done with school.

Glad to see you're still around Milkmaid! How's vet school going?

Pretty good Alan. This year has been more interesting and I get to do more cow stuff. I'll finally get out of the classroom in May, then just clinical rotations for the next year. I'll be doing some travel and hopefully learning a lot; the last year is kind of whatever you make it into. I'm seriously considering the feedlot and/or cow-calf area of the industry so am trying to tailor my externships that route. How have you been?

Mine would be other than hunting and fishing, reloading, shooting and collecting old military rifles and handguns.
Also playing the guitar which I started at 12 yr old. Old author has slowed me down on the guitar picken though. :nod:

Cal

We use to ride these until dads knees got to bad, then I quit when it was just me since I have enough going on anyway. There alot of fun though.

denvermartinfarms":2gca1d47 said:
We use to ride these until dads knees got to bad, then I quit when it was just me since I have enough going on anyway. There alot of fun though.

Denver.....a young stud like you should have "wimmen" somewhere on the list of hobbies. ;-)

Latest posts