hmmmm

Help Support CattleToday:

It is just another option. We use it if needed. Cow health and other variables play in.

A whole lot of us calve year round. Some calve in the fall. Works fine in this climate. That reads like an absolute set in concrete. They're discussing another variable that doesn't much work with the rest of our variables because their metholdology is set in concrete. :D

A whole lot of nurse calves and bottle calves are weaned early on a regular basis. Calves need enough protein to sustain their growth upon weaning. If they get enough nourishment, there is absolutely no consequence. Lack of nourishment and you will have a lot of pot bellied doggie looking calves on your hand.

Weigh the benefits and make a choice.

Good points bhb. What works for one region doesn't work for another. Heck, what works for one piece of land doesn't work for other pieces even in the same zip code. There aren't many absolute blanket statements than work when it comes to cattle

Hook":66z3mz4p said:
Good points bhb. What works for one region doesn't work for another. Heck, what works for one piece of land doesn't work for other pieces even in the same zip code. There aren't many absolute blanket statements than work when it comes to cattle
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hook":35uvmcn0 said:
I haven't weaned a calf in 3 years. Just try to get them sold betwen 450-500 lbs. Bring just about as much money and get them off the cow, off the land and belonging to someone else.

I think it also depends on how the calf was fed up to weaning time... I have one that's 4 months old and he's absolutely ready to be weaned. However, if you want to compare weaning weights anywhere, I don't think it would be fair to compare one weaned at 120 days vs one weaned at 205, I'm sure that all other variables kept constant, the one with milk would still grow better. I do consider it sometimes on first calvers who have a hard time keeping up

I did both ways this year. I pulled the calves off of the cows that were struggling about two months early and left the rest on the cow until my normal weaning time. Everything has been sold except my replacement heifers and there are a couple that came out of the first group that I've kept as replacements and you'd never know which ones they are. I would have kept more and I expect they'd be about the same size and quality as the rest of the bunch but I don't want to reproduce problem cows so I sold them all except for a handful that were on old cows.
Cow wise, it made a huge difference for my harder keeping cows. I ran my bulls an extra month and I know for a fact that some of my harder milking cows didn't breed up until I pulled the calf. They put on a ton of weight and look as good as my efficient cows do. Regardless of what it did to my calves, I think it was a wise choice just based on the cow side of things.

Hook":2jwroo5b said:
Getting rid of the calves early just saves on hay when the grass is so burned up that as the cows walk it just turns to dust.

Nesikep":lqfwf7to said:
I I do consider it sometimes on first calvers who have a hard time keeping up
I am seriously considering breeding my heifers a month ahead of my cows and then weaning that first calf waaaaay early as in about halfway through my breeding window as a strategy to get them back in calf with #2.

dun":nk44r7df said:
Hook":nk44r7df said:
Getting rid of the calves early just saves on hay when the grass is so burned up that as the cows walk it just turns to dust.

At $2.90 per pound for 5 weights, I may never hold any over again! I have grass but nickels are nickels.

cow pollinater":19rll39m said:
Nesikep":19rll39m said:
I am seriously considering breeding my heifers a month ahead of my cows and then weaning that first calf waaaaay early as in about halfway through my breeding window as a strategy to get them back in calf with #2.

I have reservations about the benefits of breeding heifers earlier than the rest of the herd. The way it seems to have worked out around here is that they breed back easier if exposed to the bull right after they calf, BEFORE THE STRESS OF MILKING SUCKS THEM DOWN. This evidently requires them to be in good condition and well fed in the months leading up to the first calf. Also, I've found they gain better before they get pregnant, which means that if I hold off breeding for a while, they'll be bigger when they have their first calf = less calving trouble and more milk.

I think early weaning may pay in a drought.
If your cows need 9 mo off on a normal year you need to get some to fit your environment a little better.

cow pollinater":25q4utqc said:
Nesikep":25q4utqc said:

Have you ever thought of short term weaning?

Pull the calf for 36-48 hours, then turn back together. The tight bag is supposed to trigger a hormone that will bring them into heat.
I've heard of it, read of it, but never actually tried it myself.

Latest posts