Hmmm

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Got in tonight and went over to where the old house was to check the cows that are currently on that pasture. When we lived there I had an old pool ladder I used to step over in the horse pen without having to walk around to the gate. When we moved to the new house on another side of the ranch I threw the ladder out by the old barn with the intentions of hauling it off but of course I never got to it. Well, one of the bulls found it.
a29ee1e4a9a1b0aba3b2985368a605d3.jpg

I got the rope out of the back of the Ranger and bided my time till he decided to spar with another bull. Then I roped a leg of the ladder.
ea89be0ab0edcc843f463444b2d854cf.jpg

Then I chased him down with the ranger till I could get stopped on the rope.
38ddc471f011dca7d012e1aef30bbc64.jpg

Between him pulling and me yanking we broke the ladder and freed the idiot.

glad to hear he is not still walking around with a ladder on his neck. i had a bull get a bale ring stuck on his head and dragged it half a mile.

We once had a 2 year old heifer (hadn't calved yet ;-) ) decide that she wanted to get into our creep feeder. She pulled the cage apart and was going around the field with that around her. It took close to 2 hours to get her up and she finally went through a small gate opening and the part of the cage she had on her got lodged at the gate posts and she got herself out.

Fun, fun times.

had a bull once that got to pushing on an empty hay ring and managed to flip it over himself. My late partner found him and called me all upset. Bull was fairly quiet and once I got him to stop pushing against me I just flipped it back off of him.

Had on bull once get his head stuck in a tree holler....that was an adventure that I think I wrote a Baby Jim Story about. will have to dig it up...If I didn't I need to....it was a fun day....

LOLOL That's rich!! I remember a few years ago someone posted on Rancher's about cow/heifer that got stuck in an aluminum lawn chair. All ended well but was hilarious!

Where I used to work a calf had gotten his head stuck in a bale ring, that was challenge getting him out with all his thrashing and hollering, but we got him out, the little dufus.

Katherine

That 3rd picture reminds me of a cow an old guy from my youth owned. The guy was dirt poor but a good horseman and kept a few cows just for the heck of it--one of which had learned how to go thru fences by pushing the 2nd and 3rd wires apart and walking thru. He wired a five ft long 4x4 onto it's neck and that cured that, but it was the funniest thing watching that old cow lay it's head sideways to graze.

An older gentleman I know was working his cows and for some reason put his char bull in the head catch. The bull pulled up the head catch and both post and ran off with them. :shock: Took them two days to catch him.

he looked content with it on him..... :cowboy: the old one in a million chance it'll happen,, dont apply to cattle. if their in the same vacinity of potintial trouble, the twain shall meet

circlew":mv35ureb said:
An older gentleman I know was working his cows and for some reason put his char bull in the head catch. The bull pulled up the head catch and both post and ran off with them. :shock: Took them two days to catch him.
like my neighbor that attached his new head catch to land scape timbers.. the bull walked up, stuck his head in the catch, and carried the whole works with him.... makes for a dangerous situation, a bull with a iron necklace frailing around

I had one choke to death in the fork of a small tree, and one choke to death in a grapevine. It's not just man made objects that get them.

Bigfoot":319clecx said:
I had one choke to death in the fork of a small tree, and one choke to death in a grapevine. It's not just man made objects that get them.

I had one get caught in the fork of a tree but I found her before it became fatal.....getting her out was not easy either....my brother in law and I picked her up which was not easy as she did not fear being stuck as much as she feared being lifted.

ALACOWMAN":zh2p63ei said:
i think cattle fear being helped at all,, they aint like the lion with a thorn in its paw... you remove it, they'll just plow you under :cowboy:

I know a guy whose Dad had one mean nasty kill you if she could cow. Well one day this cow somehow lays down on a hill with her legs up hill. She can't get up. He figures he could roll her over but she would just get up and kill him. It was too wet to get the tractor up there without getting stuck. While he was trying to come up with a plan to roll the cow over it dies. He figured that it was the best option for that cow.

Dave":3raaf9kr said:
ALACOWMAN":3raaf9kr said:
i think cattle fear being helped at all,, they aint like the lion with a thorn in its paw... you remove it, they'll just plow you under :cowboy:

I know a guy whose Dad had one mean nasty kill you if she could cow. Well one day this cow somehow lays down on a hill with her legs up hill. She can't get up. He figures he could roll her over but she would just get up and kill him. It was too wet to get the tractor up there without getting stuck. While he was trying to come up with a plan to roll the cow over it dies. He figured that it was the best option for that cow.

I see no advantage to having a cow like that around anyway.....no matter how good a producer she is....
suppose she does not kill you but kills someone else.....
you create your own scenario....
and one person states that you knew the cow was mean....
In todays world that is a tremendous liability....
same with having a history of having cows in the road....
let somone hit one and get badly injured and you have a history....
you soon will be without resources or insurance....

What was that Bull thinking he could climb the ladder like that to be top of the herd? animals can be funny things. Glad you managed to get him out without any mishaps.

Several years ago, I left a cow panel leaning against a fence and ended catching one of our small calves. If I haden't found it when I did we would have lost it. The moral of the story is keep potential traps away from you're livestock or they may become you're deadstock!

and your original plan was to.........? :D :D

Aint that how it always goes. You can go out to work on that new cross fence and find yourself doing something totally opposite.

Some years ago a neighbor leaned a section of a spike tooth harow against a fence. There was a horse with a halter on in the field. The results were not pretty.

My neighbor lost a bull last year that was breeding cows under the manzanita and slid off the cow and right into a forked branch that was just tall enough to keep his front feet off the ground.
I know another guy that lost a high dollar gelding two days after he bought him when he reared up while messing around with his new freinds and came down into the forks of an oak tree.

Latest posts