Hit a dog this weekend...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
and while I feel really badly about it, I'm also mad that it messed up my truck. I was going to Cleburne for the grocery shopping. It was dark. Was on the turnoff on 67. One dog ran out of the tall grass next to the ramp, I slowed down and avoided him. The right away another dog ran out and I hit it. There would have been no way to avoid it, as I see it. It was just there. Big dog, too. Well, it made quite a thump.
Since I was on the ramp, 55 mph speed limit and a car behind me, there no way to safely stop. I've learned the hard way not to mess with an injured animal. Got bit up pretty bad by my own dog once and she was tiny. Knocked the fog light out of the truck and I guess I ran over it.

I'll have to get that replaced. No other damage, really. I went back the next day and it was gone. I know I killed it. I'm awfully sorry about it, and if I were in a place where I could have stopped I might have. It was not near a neighborhood or anything, so I doubt I could have found the owner. Just sucks all the way around.

Could have been worse. Could have been a deer.

Or could have been an Angus bull. I had the same thing happen many years ago,except it was a bunch of dogs came boiling out of the ditch and ran under the truck. Know I hit 3. Like you could not stop. This was 40 some years ago and still bothers me,even tho there was nothing I could do.

Lammie That sucks. It is a bad situation and I know you feel bad but at least you weren't hurt. I have been there and you would have to be real callous not to feel something when you hit a dog. Hope this week is a better one.

thats bad to hitt a dog like that.but like you said it really couldnt help.any1 that has dogs close to highways needs to keep emm penned.

Heck its just a dog. At least YOU are okay. I never swerve to avoid missing an animal for fear I might hurt myself or the people riding with me. Unfortunately as bad as it sucks anything that runs out in front of me is a dead un I dont slow down and I dont stop. Just be glad it wasnt a deer. Ive hit one of those to and it wasnt any fun. Saw a dog get hit here recently, it flopped around on the ground like a fish out of water. I got out and shot it in the head with my 40 cal pistol and that was lights out and it didnt suffer anymore.

Well, I've had dogs get run over, some lived and some didn't. If I could have stopped I would have but there was another car behind me and I was on the start of a ramp. Maybe if the county or whoever would have kept the grass mowed I could have seen it. I guess it's been to muddy to mow, though. I won't swerve into traffic to avoid something, but I do slow down. I guess it would not have done any good to have gotten rear ended over it. All I could think was that it was some child's pet. I know how my boys have reacted in the past when one of their's met that fate. Like I said, no houses around and it was dark. I might have had better luck in the daylight.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":vwh6b8y7 said:
peg4x4":vwh6b8y7 said:
stop ifing~~know I've gotta stop :) Glad you didn't wreck

Exactly, that is the most important thing. No animals life is worth a humans. PERIOD!

Probably the first, last and only time we will agree. But you are right about that!

3waycross":255ozyi2 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":255ozyi2 said:
peg4x4":255ozyi2 said:

Exactly, that is the most important thing. No animals life is worth a humans. PERIOD!

Probably the first, last and only time we will agree. But you are right about that!

Glad to know we see eye to eye.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3s06u3d9 said:
peg4x4":3s06u3d9 said:

That's debatable

S&WSigma40VEShooter":p2ucp45g said:
Extrapolate on that please.
Simply that, there are animals more worthy than certain humans. Animals that contribute in some meaningful way (my dog for example) vs people who destruct the lives of people they come into contact with.

angie":bek6gogu said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":bek6gogu said:
Simply that, there are animals more worthy than certain humans. Animals that contribute in some meaningful way (my dog for example) vs people who destruct the lives of people they come into contact with.

I still dont think an animal is worth a human life whether it be a meth head or a terrorist from Afghanistan.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1epkee1t said:
angie":1epkee1t said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1epkee1t said:

I still dont think an animal is worth a human life whether it be a meth head or a terrorist from Afghanistan.

That is what I was thinking.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":20f74w8f said:
Maybe that is so, but I didn't ask you to clarify what you think or how you feel, it doesn't matter to me. There are plenty of people who need to die (terrorists just for starters....).

meth heads maybe they can be salvaged,,, but a dam terrorist can rot in he@# for as im concerned they dont care too see me dead or a innocent child..

alacattleman":1ldx4ua9 said:
meth heads maybe they can be salvaged,,, but a dam terrorist can rot in he@# for as im concerned they dont care too see me dead or a innocent child..

Yeah Id plant one in a terrorist If I seen one over here but still.

angie":bdrbjsy7 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":bdrbjsy7 said:
Maybe that is so, but I didn't ask you to clarify what you think or how you feel, it doesn't matter to me. There are plenty of people who need to die (terrorists just for starters....).

Good attitude to have seeing as how you work with the public and all. Exactly why I dislike most cops they are all smart arses.

Latest posts