HISTORY!

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero , 55 BC

So evidently, we've learned nothing in the past 2,067 years.

I've said it before and ill say it again.as a country and a society,We're following the same cobblestone road as the Roman Empire. Economically, socially, morally, politically. We're just doing it on a faster pace. Those tht don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

hooknline":2mtx1lod said:
I've said it before and ill say it again.as a country and a society,We're following the same cobblestone road as the Roman Empire. Economically, socially, morally, politically. We're just doing it on a faster pace. Those tht don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

i'm pretty sure the europeans find life much more pleasurable now than under the roman empire...

Caustic Burno":at9wqgor said:
I hope the history books at least show we started out as a good nation.
The Roman Empire was evil from the start and got more so with passing time.

The Roman Empire was NOT inherently more evil than any other including our own. America was founded on an arguably better principal perhaps. But in terms of what each gave the world we are sure as he[[ no better than the Romans., And they were no worse or better than some of the other "empires" that came after or before them!

you're not going to tell me that enslaving other races made them inherently evil are ya Caustic.......that would certainly qualify as one very slipery slope.

3waycross":2sgu2yco said:
Caustic Burno":2sgu2yco said:

The Roman Empire was NOT inherently more evil than any other including our own. America was founded on an arguably better principal perhaps. But in terms of what each gave the world we are sure as he[[ no better than the Romans., And they were no worse or better than some of the other "empires" that came after or before them!

you're not going to tell me that enslaving other races made them inherently evil are ya Caustic.......that would certainly qualify as one very slipery slope.

We shouldn't have every brought the first one over.
Been nothing but trouble since day one.
The Largest Slave trader yas a Yankee named De Wolfe from RI.
You are not going to try and tell me slavery is not still going on today are you ?

Caustic Burno":2hg1chfv said:
3waycross":2hg1chfv said:
Caustic Burno":2hg1chfv said:

We shouldn't have every brought the first one over.
Been nothing but trouble since day one.
The Largest Slave trader yas a Yankee named De Wolfe from RI.
You are not going to try and tell me slavery is not still going on today are you ?

Not in Rome anyway!

I don't know didn't their president just get caught with an underage prostitute.
These polices didn't end until the end of WWII.

"Italy's colonial experience forced Italians to confront the presence of non-Europeans within the Italian Empire. The presence of black Africans, especially, led some Italians to construct racial hierarchies in which Italians and other Europeans stood at the top, Arabs and North Africans somewhere in the middle, and black Africans at the bottom in terms of rights and privileges. Such racial-ist thinking led some Italians to consider the position of Jews within Italy in a parallel manner, and to place them on this racial hierarchy. Italian attitudes toward Jews, which had previously been generally benign, began to change as a result of African colonization."

Caustic Burno":2ptal8cw said:
I don't know didn't their president just get caught with an underage prostitute.
These polices didn't end until the end of WWII.

"Italy's colonial experience forced Italians to confront the presence of non-Europeans within the Italian Empire. The presence of black Africans, especially, led some Italians to construct racial hierarchies in which Italians and other Europeans stood at the top, Arabs and North Africans somewhere in the middle, and black Africans at the bottom in terms of rights and privileges. Such racial-ist thinking led some Italians to consider the position of Jews within Italy in a parallel manner, and to place them on this racial hierarchy. Italian attitudes toward Jews, which had previously been generally benign, began to change as a result of African colonization."

Well isn't that interesting.........still not sure what it has to do with my original post though?

Caustic Burno":20zyzled said:
You posted not in Rome. Just this year their elected officals got busted
The underage sex trade is slavery and human trafficking on a world wide scale.

My OP is about Economics not the evils of the Roman Empire. However their eventual demise is pretty easily traceable to the decline of their morals, and their need to rule the world!

Funny thing is one of the biggest mistakes they made was trying to entertain a population that had become so jaded and dependent that all they could think of was what is my Government going to do for me today..................sound familiar!

3waycross":2f22lbie said:
Funny thing is one of the biggest mistakes they made was trying to entertain a population that had become so jaded and dependent that all they could think of was what is my Government going to do for me today..................sound familiar!

FWIW the cell phone was invented in 1946.

Jogeephus":g4umrl50 said:
3waycross":g4umrl50 said:

FWIW the cell phone was invented in 1946.

WTH?