Hiring a show crew

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
What is a good way for a purebred cattle breeder to hire a young showman to show his cattle? A percentage share arrangement? What do you know of that has worked and hasn't worked? I would like to hear opinions from purebred breeders who have done it and from showmen who have been hired.
Thanks in advance.

I hate to be cynical, but good luck! Every year it gets harder and harder to find anyone that is willing to actually WORK. Here in Texas it's really hard for people to get show crews.. most of the ones I know of now are hiring Mexicans. Used to be you could get school kids or FFA and 4H'ers, but they seem to have little or no ambition! No work ethic.. just show up when they feel like it, etc. etc. It's very frustrating.

Something I've been considering for the majors next year is to find other breeders that can help each other. A lot of times when you set up at the shows, you get to know the folks in the same aisle, and if everyone "pools" their resouces, you can make a schedule that works for everyone. The hardest part is show day, because everyone is busy at the same time, but if you find people showing a different breed, that sometimes works also. We found a GREAT couple of angus breeders last year at Houston that clipped my Simmental heifer, and did a fabulous job, and did way more than I had expected or asked for. Top notch type of people, no doubt about it.

TheBullLady":o8fuaesq said:
I hate to be cynical, but good luck! Every year it gets harder and harder to find anyone that is willing to actually WORK. Here in Texas it's really hard for people to get show crews.. most of the ones I know of now are hiring Mexicans. Used to be you could get school kids or FFA and 4H'ers, but they seem to have little or no ambition! No work ethic.. just show up when they feel like it, etc. etc. It's very frustrating.

Something I've been considering for the majors next year is to find other breeders that can help each other. A lot of times when you set up at the shows, you get to know the folks in the same aisle, and if everyone "pools" their resouces, you can make a schedule that works for everyone. The hardest part is show day, because everyone is busy at the same time, but if you find people showing a different breed, that sometimes works also. We found a GREAT couple of angus breeders last year at Houston that clipped my Simmental heifer, and did a fabulous job, and did way more than I had expected or asked for. Top notch type of people, no doubt about it.

That is good to know. I have a nephew who is really into showing and he has had some success at 4H and breed shows. He is a freshman in college and I know he would love to show more, so I may pursue getting him involved. Thanks for the info.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find anyone to show for you. I have two children that are excellent showmen and work thier cattle extremely hard. We have a hard time finding high quaility cattle that are affordable/available. My husband and I have often wondered why breeders will put cattle in the hands of families that are not willing to go to major shows when there are families that will go where ever you ask. We are willing to travel and show. Where are you located? What breed? How many head?

I'm in North Texas. I haven't found anyone interested in showing a heifer I want shown. Same bag here, nice purebred Shorthorn, with big money lineage...
I am waiting to see the Ft. Worth show. I sold a steer that will be shown there. I am PRAYING he does really well.(and he should)He is out of our bull and I would like to market his semen...

aussie_cowgirl":2auo66pn said:
If I wasn't in a different hemisphere I'd be there. :D

I could definitely use you Aussie. Everyone around here (youngsters) are either showing their own cattle or if they are acreage /city kids they only want to work with horses.

It is times like these that I wish we had kids..

The very least would be if I could get my sisters kids into it, but ugh it's cow poo.. :roll: MR HD's brothers son loves cattle and would really be into working with them but he is closer to you Aussie than us.. :lol2:

hillsdown":3vh36e5n said:
aussie_cowgirl":3vh36e5n said:
If I wasn't in a different hemisphere I'd be there. :D

I could definitely use you Aussie. Everyone around here (youngsters) are either showing their own cattle or if they are acreage /city kids they only want to work with horses.

It is times like these that I wish we had kids..

The very least would be if I could get my sisters kids into it, but ugh it's cow poo.. :roll: MR HD's brothers son loves cattle and would really be into working with them but he is closer to you Aussie than us.. :lol2:

I just said to Keren we should go for a showing holiday in the US one day. So maybe :D . I'm going to try and get over to her next year to give her a hand at one of the shows. I'll have to wait though because I don't know what harvest is going to be like... if it's really short I mightn't have enough money. We'll see.

US ,,,,,,,,WHAT.. forget that,,,,,,, come to Canada where I am,,,,,, CANADA>>>>>>

Wayyyyyyyyy better place to visit... ;-)

No offence to all my dear USA friends.. :lol:

hillsdown":3jsvgc05 said:
US ,,,,,,,,WHAT.. forget that,,,,,,, come to Canada where I am,,,,,, CANADA>>>>>>

None, taken! Would be nice to get to visit face to face with CT friends!

hillsdown":3ohycsp5 said:

I'm (hopefully) coming to Canada over Christmas. Hoping to get over for Agribition, and then stay until Denver in January.
Already have work lined up for Agribition and Denver, but I'm open to any and all offers!! I'd say I'm going to need to find some paid work to make my way while I'm over.
My BIL is heading over to judge at Farmfair in November too- everyone seems to be heading over the ocean!

I have always had trouble getting good help. Been waiting for a young bloke to come and help at a local show. 3 years now since I asked him to come the next day to help at our local show. I always pay above the usual rate. High schools kids will occasionally help a bit at our local show. But they are usually busy with their large team of Murray Greys. By the time young ones get big enough and strong enough, its off to Uni or to other work away from the district.

woe There are plenty of American high schoolers that would love to show if it was more afforadble for some that dont have ranches of there own n such I would be showing right now but I put my cattle days on hold and enlisted in the Army now here I am in Iraq but as you can see my heart is in cattle. Class of 2008

VasquezI":15nj1g7r said:
woe There are plenty of American high schoolers that would love to show if it was more afforadble for some that dont have ranches of there own n such I would be showing right now but I put my cattle days on hold and enlisted in the Army now here I am in Iraq but as you can see my heart is in cattle. Class of 2008

I wish I could find those high schoolers around here. I haven't gotten any bites on finding just a small group that wants to show. Like I have posted on other threads, I have been working on different "package plans" for them that could suit any youth wanting to get involved in showing. From buying one outright to paying 1/2 and we help with feed and buy back after showing, to they show it and once she has her first calf, the calf is theres and the cow comes back to us. I have others, but while at work, I don't have all of the options in front of me.

alexfarms":26rm7ab0 said:
What is a good way for a purebred cattle breeder to hire a young showman to show his cattle? A percentage share arrangement? What do you know of that has worked and hasn't worked? I would like to hear opinions from purebred breeders who have done it and from showmen who have been hired.
Thanks in advance.

Most of them let their herdsman show the cattle. If you dont have a herdsman I would show em myself if I had the time. One year I had six head and my buddy cancelled on me. There was a Gelbvieh breeder there that had already shown. He saw me swamped and asked to pitch in and help. He helped me immensely and between the two of us leading them we won nearly every class.

I ended up finding a guy at work who's kid is in AG. I hope it works out. They are committed to Ft. Worth, so I am thrilled. I will have a steer and a heifer at Ft. Worth this year. If all goes well, we could do a lot to get our bull some future work...
Here's a pic of her.. She's really dirty, Its rained for weeks here in Texas. (More tommorow too)..I downloaded that video from AG TV on halter breaking. That was the best thing I ever did. She has been a BREEZE.
charm1020.jpg

greatgerts":56712su4 said:
VasquezI":56712su4 said:

I wish I could find those high schoolers around here. I haven't gotten any bites on finding just a small group that wants to show. Like I have posted on other threads, I have been working on different "package plans" for them that could suit any youth wanting to get involved in showing. From buying one outright to paying 1/2 and we help with feed and buy back after showing, to they show it and once she has her first calf, the calf is theres and the cow comes back to us. I have others, but while at work, I don't have all of the options in front of me.

Boy I wish you were closer to me! I would love to get into a deal like that down here. I love to show but I totally understand where everyone is coming from. Most kids now do not want to show or deal with animals anymore. Its hard work and that actually takes effort from them.

What part of the state are you in SWSF? I am sure I could explain some of this further. You can PM me if you'd like about it.

VasquezI":1eizg2jm said:

Thank you for your service, happy Thanksgiving! :clap: :tiphat:

Latest posts