hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
trying to control my blackroot infestation. I'm being over run with it...on about 30 ac. it is scattered but about 10 ac is like carpet. ufs said grazon or weedmaster. hes just gonna do the 15 ac piece that's heaviest. but neghbors place is covered and he wont do anything I'm sure.

so..is 1200 bucks reasonable or crazy high. I mean I only have 15 cows so that becomes alotta money to spend and then fertilize the whole 45 ac. don't know the cost of the fert job yet..two diff guys.

That's insane.
Grazon running about 12.00 to 15 a quart.
30 per acre should be plenty, being a small job you might expect to pay a little more.
But for a hundred a acre go buy your own equipment

That's robbery. Depending on your dose $20-30.

For that amount of country a 3pt sprayer from tsc will work fine. Your going to have to do it every year any way. It's not a one shot and done deal. Your probably looking at less that $15/ac doing it yourself.

I don't know anything about blackroot but what the other have said is correct on pricing. I have become a big fan of weedmaster or one of its copies. I am using Brash this year. I like it because it works well and reasonably priced. You could do your whole 45 acres for $300 worth of chemical and surfactant.

I would do like Brute mentioned and get me a sprayer. Maybe you could do the neighbors place also and make a few bucks.
You will probably need to spray twice a year for a couple years to get it under control.

sstterry said:
It is the wrong time of year, but around here, they can add Grazon to the fertilize. That way you kill two birds with one stone.

It's also not real efficient. The 24d is basically wasted being a foliar herbicide it has very little effect.
The pyridine 6.24 percent of grazon does have soil residual. It takes 200 pounds of fertilizer per acre to carry enough herbicide to be effective. And you must get rain before it takes effect. Almost a toss up with paying to much to get the grazon applied correctly.....

Check with your fertilizer guy and local tractor houses to see about a rental sprayer. I rented one for less than $200 a couple of years ago while our spray rig was down waiting on a part.

I built a sprayer for $300. It's been over a few thousand acres at this point. Paid for itself many times over. You can grow grass or weeds, but you can't grow both.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
It is the wrong time of year, but around here, they can add Grazon to the fertilize. That way you kill two birds with one stone.

It's also not real efficient. The 24d is basically wasted being a foliar herbicide it has very little effect.
The pyridine 6.24 percent of grazon does have soil residual. It takes 200 pounds of fertilizer per acre to carry enough herbicide to be effective. And you must get rain before it takes effect. Almost a toss up with paying to much to get the grazon applied correctly.....

Doesnt it help with wind drift to add a little fertilizer?
I don't know if there is any science behind it but I swear I get a better kill mixing the two. I always put a little p+d in with my fert in the spring and if I have a little left over I take off thru the pasture. It wacks it but it's not economical to do all the pasture like that.

Brute 23 said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:

Doesnt it help with wind drift to add a little fertilizer?
I don't know if there is any science behind it but I swear I get a better kill mixing the two. I always put a little p+d in with my fert in the spring and if I have a little left over I take off thru the pasture. It wacks it but it's not economical to do all the pasture like that.
Yes but I believe Terry was talking about the practice of mixing grazon with granular and slinging it out. And your talking about adding liquid fertilizer to your spray tank. Two very different applications

I bought a small rig for what I need...40 gallon..grazon or weedmaster is the rec product..so how do I arrive at the corrct application rate..i can get ground speed but the gear chart on the tractor but how about the sprayer settings?

http://publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LANDSCAPE/PUB_turf_Sprayer%20Calibration%20for%20Turfgrass.pdf

Takes a little math and time and measure.

dieselbeef said:
I bought a small rig for what I need...40 gallon..grazon or weedmaster is the rec product..so how do I arrive at the corrct application rate..i can get ground speed but the gear chart on the tractor but how about the sprayer settings?

Did it come with a chart for the nozzles? Some thing like this.

Spraying works best for me putting out about 15 gallons of mix per acre. Try to calibrate to something close to that. About 4 MPH is about the best you can do on cow pastures.

My sprayer is 330 gallons. I set my speed at 4 MPH, My pressure at 30 PSI will cover 30'. This will get me right at 22 acres per load. I adjust my chemical amount to this setting. Early in the year when the weeds are young and tender, you can get by with about a pint per acre or a 1% mix. As the weeds get taller and stemier, your mix ration has to go up. The HL products go a little further.

There is a little bit of trial and error when starting out even when everything is calibrated correctly. My only real problem is keeping the right speed, pressure and application rate correct as the pump starts to wear out. When the pump starts to weaken, I can run at a higher RPM to hold the pressure, but then the tractor goes to fast. I need a lot more speed settings than the 8 that I have.

One thing about it, you will know in a few days where you have missed.

For boom spray we use 20-30 psi, have a 21' swath, and fill tank with water (100 gallons). Then with sprayer on make a round trip of 500' length and see how much water was used, to calculate amount per acre (we use about 20 gallons per acre). Psi needs to remain at 20-30 psi, and rpm needs to be ~1700 for us, so adjusting the speed (gear) you can calibrate to desired amount sprayed per acre.

For broadcast it's the same procedure. Broadcast is not as accurate as using the booms, but it's quicker (21' swath with booms and foam markers, compared to 40' swath with broadcast).

i got a cheapo from tsc..workhorse...40 gallon 10 ft wide. I have 3 smaller pastures so kinda needed something skinnier...theyre in to 6 ac pieces..3 of them then a 8 ac then a 30 ac full of trees and crap so I got a narrower one...gonna play with it this weekend..quick look at some charts looks like I can get 10 acs out of a tank....that's only a cpl refills so on my budget it might work ok...beats 1200$ and not even doing half what I needed..at least I own the rig...

Latest posts