Hired man

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon about 4:00 I was talking to a neighboring rancher by his corral. I can see a tractor coming down the road half a mile away. His phone rings. He has it on speaker and I can tell it is one of his two hired men. At the end of the call he asks are you both in the tractor. The answer is yes. When he hangs up he says as soon as I can find someone willing to work there are going to be changes here. The two of them both rode in the tractor to haul a dead cow off to the boneyard. He had been waiting at the corral for half an hour waiting for one of them to show up. But it took both of them sitting in the tractor to haul off a dead cow. He went on said that one had taken 2 hours for lunch that day. The other had gone to town to get insurance that morning and not come back until 3:00. A little bird told him that guy had been hanging out at the saddle shop/gun shop most all day. He just has to find a good hired man.

Yesterday afternoon about 4:00 I was talking to a neighboring rancher by his corral. I can see a tractor coming down the road half a mile away. His phone rings. He has it on speaker and I can tell it is one of his two hired men. At the end of the call he asks are you both in the tractor. The answer is yes. When he hangs up he says as soon as I can find someone willing to work there are going to be changes here. The two of them both rode in the tractor to haul a dead cow off to the boneyard. He had been waiting at the corral for half an hour waiting for one of them to show up. But it took both of them sitting in the tractor to haul off a dead cow. He went on said that one had taken 2 hours for lunch that day. The other had gone to town to get insurance that morning and not come back until 3:00. A little bird told him that guy had been hanging out at the saddle shop/gun shop most all day. He just has to find a good hired man.
Did you apply?

Did you apply?
I did tell him to call me. Most of the time I could use something more to do. I got to thinking later maybe he could shame them. A 70 year old man shows up on time and stays until the job is done. What is wrong with you 20 somethings?

He just needs to show more interest in their hobbies..
I think he needs to show them the road. Last summer he was gone for a couple days. Told them to fix the fence down by the creek. He has a CREP contract with the feds. Has been getting paid to keep the cows fenced out of the creek. The cows have torn the fence down. FSA is getting mad. If they jerk his contract he will have to pay back all the money. He comes back the fence is not fixed. First guy says, "oh we didn't get around to that". Second guy says we fixed it the cows must have torn it down. Funny the posts and wire is still sitting in the pile. I would have fired him right there. Don't get the job done I might be mad. Lie to me and you are gone.

I am wondering what happened after I left yesterday. I went to the post office at 9:30. The feed trucks and tractors haven't moved this morning. Pretty close to 1,000 cows to feed and nothing has happened by 9:30? Not a good sign. He might have said something. One of them smarted off...... down the road you go.

Hmmm...two guys riding in the tractor together to go out back, and over the hill for a couple hours. :unsure:
Once before this rancher commented to me that he didn't know how two guys this stupid both had such smart good looking girl friends. I don't really know one of these gals but she is good looking. The other I do know. She is bright and a real good hand along with being a shiny looking young lady.

Once before this rancher commented to me that he didn't know how two guys this stupid both had such smart good looking girl friends. I don't really know one of these gals but she is good looking. The other I do know. She is bright and a real good hand along with being a shiny looking young lady.
Some women really enjoy control, and like turnaround projects.
Could hire one of the girl friends as a foreman...

My bet is the girlfriends would be way better help. Some of the best hands are girls and when I had help I had a couple of girls work for me. They were far better help than the young men you hire. My ex was a bit of the jealous type and saw the help as a conflict of interest ( read competition). Looking back should have kept the help and got rid of the wife sooner.

People that have never hired full-time help will never understand the things we put up and why. I was the same way before we had employees, now I want to feel their neck from time to time to make sure it's still warm. Not sure if any of yall look at Ranchworld Ads but they have a "help wanted" section. Most of it is people looking for ranch jobs. If we expand anymore we'll need someone and I might just get someone off that site. A knucklehead that moved several hundred miles to work might think twice about things rather than one that drove 10 miles. Also lots of women wanting work which for straight ranch work I think I'd rather have.

Latest posts