Hired hand.

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope this doesn't make me sound lazy. I do my best to keep everything in working order and not tear anything up because I dont wanna have to fix it. Oil, grease, and filters are cheap, and I go through alot. I don't wanna have to be trying to fix something in the field in the blazing sun. IMO it's alot easier to do PM in the shade. Most of the things y'all have complained about are common sense or lack there of. I guess I must be doing something right the boss bought me a new tractor this week.

High Cotton":1gadmmzg said:
I hope this doesn't make me sound lazy. I do my best to keep everything in working order and not tear anything up because I dont wanna have to fix it. Oil, grease, and filters are cheap, and I go through alot. I don't wanna have to be trying to fix something in the field in the blazing sun. IMO it's alot easier to do PM in the shade. Most of the things y'all have complained about are common sense or lack there of. I guess I must be doing something right the boss bought me a new tractor this week.
HC
Its not really common sense it is having pride in your work and really caring about your job
I have had both types of employees and the ones that didn't care were the ones who could never figure out why the other type always got advance or treated better than the rest

The ones that cared were the ones that stayed late worked weekends or did whatever they needed to make sure they got the job done
The ones that didn't were the ones that were always finding excuses to take off work or they couldn't stay late because they had plans or just didn't want to work and complained ALL the time and thought they were doing YOU a favor by working for you

Angus Cowman":g7t7cmm1 said:
High Cotton":g7t7cmm1 said:
HC
Its not really common sense it is having pride in your work and really caring about your job
I have had both types of employees and the ones that didn't care were the ones who could never figure out why the other type always got advance or treated better than the rest

The ones that cared were the ones that stayed late worked weekends or did whatever they needed to make sure they got the job done The ones that didn't were the ones that were always finding excuses to take off work or they couldn't stay late because they had plans or just didn't want to work and complained ALL the time and thought they were doing YOU a favor by working for you
I never knew who invented an eight hour day. Every day we have a certian amount to do, when it's done we go home, 10 or 6 hours, it all pays the same. Seems to have always helped my employees to work harder and quicker, knowing they will get to go home. gs

The ones that complain and have to take off work all the time are the ones crying now that the Mexicans are taking all the jobs .... if we had to work with those kind of employees prices would be double and quality would be half ..... I think I would just close up shop and work just enough to pay bills or give in to the left and become dependent on the government ... that's what they are pushing for anyway .

Angus Cowman":v9pail5f said:
High Cotton":v9pail5f said:
HC

The ones that cared were the ones that stayed late worked weekends or did whatever they needed to make sure they got the job done
The ones that didn't were the ones that were always finding excuses to take off work or they couldn't stay late because they had plans or just didn't want to work and complained ALL the time and thought they were doing YOU a favor by working for you

I never thought about that. I thought everyone took pride in their work. :bang: I have a full time job off the farm and I have to deal with people half a$$ing it all the time. It makes for a long day.
Randy

We used to be tile contractors. This is only one of the reasons we no longer have, nor will we ever again have, employees. After 30 years, hubby just couldn't take it anymore.
In Phoenix, most everyone has stone landscaping so it can be a little difficult to find someplace to dump dirty water, cause customers didn't want they rocks messed up with grout & thinset residue. Our approach was to move some rock and dig a small hole to dump the water in, fill the hole back in and push the rock back in place.
Well, we had hired a young man to be a helper, who was the younger brother of one of our tilesetters.
He decided he didn't feel like going to all the effort of digging a hole, and felt it was a much better idea to dump the water with all the yuk in it down the city sewer clean out.
Next morning customer calls us, screaming at the top of lungs that she has shyte backing up into her tubs and showers. She actually threatened to reach in an rip my husbands heeart out if if wasn't fixed within the hour.
We call our plumber to go out & inspect. He snakes & finds a blockage out somewhere under the driveway. We hire a company to sonar & scope the drain. They ut out the concrete & dig up the slab, open the sewer line & remove the margin trowel that our helper had dumped down the cleanout with the dirty water.
We were really lucky though in the long run. Liability insurance covered everything but the deductible, the city did NOT give us a fine, the customer did not ask for her 50% deposit back so at least our costs were covered on the $10,000 contract and the customer probably stopped telling everyone she knew, costing us valuable referrals after only a couple of years... :bang:

About nine this morning, one of the workers had to leave. He said he couldn't do his job and that he didn't feel good. We asked him why and he said he was loosing his voice and it kept him from working. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. :help:

Painter didn't have much to do one day, it had been raining so we couldn't blast any trailers, and he was complaining that the grass was too tall around his building. Told him I would get the trimmer and he could cut it instead of going home early and not getting paid. He said he would just go home. Cutting the grass was too much like work. :dunce: Next day he was complaining that he was broke. :bang: :bang:

Had a good friend tell me about a hired man that his dad had when he was small;

Seems that they were cleaning real soupie fresh cow dung out of their feedlot pens. His dad was driving the truck and the hired man was riding up on the front of the box. His dad stepped on the brakes to keep from running over their dog which caused all of the soupie cow poop too rush to the front of the truck.

When the poop hit the front of the truck bed, it shot straight up into the hired mans face. He told his boss that if he haden't had his mouth open, it would have gotten all over his face! :eek: :shock: :lol: :oops: :dunce:

f-g

Driving home from the farm today, I was feeling sorry for myself. Spent yesterday culling some fine cattle, and fixing fences. My spring has dried up, and tanks are starting to recede. Decided I would stop and buy me some chicken for lunch. While i was waiting in the airconditioning in walked two mexican laborers. They are building State highway 161 nearby. These two guys were completely covered in dust and today it was 110 and no wind. These two guys were looking mighty haggard. I nodded and one nodded back. I stated mighty hot out there, he said it sure is but its a living. Yep, mexicans are taking all the good jobs. Wish I could find that kind of help. Sure makes me appreciate my little dry dry patch of earth.

When I was a young man and stationed in WA state I worked on a dairy farm for extra cash. I had to clean the herd bedding areas when the herd was being milked as one of my duties. well someone left the grates off the drains and when I went to run the cows out to be milked I fell into one of the holding tanks luckily catching myself with my arms before plunging all the way in. Noone was around and I had to fend off cows and the clean up bulls for two hours while suspending myself what a mess. I stunk for weeks after that but never missed a day of working. Of course I got lots of teasing after the boss got me out of there!!! What a mess.

Dang- should have grabbed one of those cows and let her pull you out :)

My son SWEARS he was the best hired help EVER
I just remember swearing alot :)

Howdy I thought about that as an option but seen those old milk cows kick hard!

My sion does the same thing!!!

Howdyjabo said:
We hired a kid(17) all summer - just so he could take care of the farm while we went to my brothers wedding.
Good kid , real enthusiastic.
We left feeling good about things.

We came home to a mess. Dang......how long were you gone?
How was the wedding? ;)

we were gone 7 days-- combined the wedding with a visit to the family .
I guess the wedding was good- personally I would have rathered taking a bullet than being cramped up in a building with lots of people for hours.Not to mention I had to wear a bridesmaid dress ALL DAY-- yuck. It was a nice dress and was kinda fun dressing up ........ for about 30 minutes.
The rest of the trip we spent camping with all the relatives- I liked that.

I hired my dad after he lost his job as a result of 9/11. He moved out here from az and moved in with us not contributing a thing. 6 months later I fired him for yelling at my customers and various other reasons. Le him use my spare equipment to start his own biz, and he returned it 6 months after that broken and unusable.....