Hippie Rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

On 18 year olds.

I can not believe anybody can sit there with a straight face and call 18 year olds mature. Excuse me? Were you 18? Would you say that was the time in your life that you made your smartest decisions? (and don't give me the examples of where stupid decisions turned out ok, I mean the decision making process its self)

Young men are the main component of cannon fodder for precisley the traits that MOST 18 year olds posses. Young, inexperienced, fearess, reckess, peak testosterone, healthy, impulssive, need to conform, need directions,
"nothing to lose" (not fully established in life, work, education, family)

The reason older men and women aren't on front lines (in general) is because they possess the maturity, experience and intelligent fear of those kinds of situations.

Give me a break. 18 year olds are mature!

PS
don't bother giving the example of YOUR kid, you know perfectly well they are an exception

I do not see how you can say 18 year olds can not be mature...when I was 18 I had my own house, a full time job, a wife, and two twin sons...also when I was 18 I joined the military and went through about 6 months of training then was sent to a base camp in South Vietnam...and by 1965 I was flown up to North Vietnam and I was in full combat...I believe I was very mature at 18...and you may need to learn a little knowledge about it before you speak about the military...no older men on the front lines because they are more mature and more intelligent huh?...because they know the "fear"?...you have no idea what that "fear" is like...every heard of a recon group or special forces?...that's where most of the older men are in the military...in situations that can be a whole lot dangerous than the front lines...and it's not the fact that the older men and women dont want to be on the front lines...it's just that there are a WHOLE lot more younguns than the "older" folks in the military...the older men and women in the military have grown to be more skillful...that is why a lot of them are in the recon and SF groups...to tell you the truth...your post really makes me mad...I dont believe you have a clue what you are talking about...you can speak about some, or maybe even most, 18 year olds not being mature...but dont for one minute think than a 18 year cannot be mature...I have also raised 11 kids that I believe turned out very mature when they got to the age of 18...so you can speak for yourself when you was 18...and you can speak for the 18 year olds that you know...but dont try to tell all of us how we acted when we was 18

Heritage_Farmboy":2qe507qe said:
On 18 year olds.

I can not believe anybody can sit there with a straight face and call 18 year olds mature. Excuse me? Were you 18? Would you say that was the time in your life that you made your smartest decisions? (and don't give me the examples of where stupid decisions turned out ok, I mean the decision making process its self)

Young men are the main component of cannon fodder for precisley the traits that MOST 18 year olds posses. Young, inexperienced, fearess, reckess, peak testosterone, healthy, impulssive, need to conform, need directions,
"nothing to lose" (not fully established in life, work, education, family)

The reason older men and women aren't on front lines (in general) is because they possess the maturity, experience and intelligent fear of those kinds of situations.

Give me a break. 18 year olds are mature!

PS
don't bother giving the example of YOUR kid, you know perfectly well they are an exception

I do not see how you can say 18 year olds can not be mature...when I was 18 I had my own house, a full time job, a wife, and two twin sons...also when I was 18 I joined the military and went through about 6 months of training then was sent to a base camp in South Vietnam...and by 1965 I was flown up to North Vietnam and I was in full combat...I believe I was very mature at 18...and you may need to learn a little knowledge about it before you speak about the military...no older men on the front lines because they are more mature and more intelligent huh?...because they know the "fear"?...you have no idea what that "fear" is like...every heard of a recon group or special forces?...that's where most of the older men are in the military...in situations that can be a whole lot dangerous than the front lines...and it's not the fact that the older men and women dont want to be on the front lines...it's just that there are a WHOLE lot more younguns than the "older" folks in the military...the older men and women in the military have grown to be more skillful...that is why a lot of them are in the recon and SF groups...to tell you the truth...your post really makes me mad...I dont believe you have a clue what you are talking about...you can speak about some, or maybe even most, 18 year olds not being mature...but dont for one minute think than a 18 year cannot be mature...I have also raised 11 kids that I believe turned out very mature when they got to the age of 18...so you can speak for yourself when you was 18...and you can speak for the 18 year olds that you know...but dont try to tell all of us how we acted when we was 18

Good points! I think Hippie would have 18 year olds sitting in car seats when their mom drives them to piano lessons.

For sure with age comes wisdom, but to think an 18 year old is not Mature enough to understand the dangers of being in the Military is ridiculous.

To say these young soldiers do not know what they are doing when signing up is an insult, they know what they are doing and that is why they are signing up! To serve and protect. God bless them and all the youth for the past 230 years that have served with open eyes to protect this country!

HF,

I did not intend to make anybody mad. From what I have read from you, you sound like a good responsible human being. You have obviously done the very best that you could with your life. Two things:

I did not say 18 year olds could not be mature. Of course some can. Your personal experience has nothing to do with the GENERALIZATION, that I stated. 18 year olds are barely grown. Brains and bodies have not fully matured physically, much less mentally and emotionally. That is just biological fact. (Just curious - WHY did you have a wife and family at 18? taking responsibility after perhaps making some not-so-mature choices?)

Of course there are more young people in the the military - for exactly the reasons I stated.

aplusmnt,

If I could prevent one mother's child from dying in what MANY, MANY people feel is an illegal and unjustified war by driving them to a piano lesson I (deleted - strike one) would sure do it.

Did you serve? Just curious. Was it what you thought it was going to be?

Tod,

Much as I would love to help you understand, I think that might get me banned, seeing as this is supposed to be a livestock forum. And I really would like to stay - have 20 plus years of experience to share and have already learned a lot in the short time I have been here.

Perhaps go on a political forum or talk to almost anybody outside of this country. One thing the folks in power have done very well is shut down real discussion and debate in the mainstream media, but you can find it on the internets!

Try to remember if everybody thought the same way, it would be pretty boring and frankly rather frightening, but those that encourage division for its own sake and attack rather than debate are the ones to REALLY watch.

Divide and conquer has long been a good strategy for those in power to maintain the status quo. Think about it.

Peace.

How mature are 18 year olds? Depends on the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts