hiplocked cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Had one hiplock and she is down. I have always hung them up for a week or so and have never had one come out of it. Should I wait a little longer before I put them down or just save the hassle and do it right away. Has anyone had any success bringing them out of it? I only get this every other year or so...(75 cows) I try to keep bw below 90 lbs but every once in a while I get a big one

If it's a simple pinched nerve, they will usually respond within a couple of days. Use anti-inflammants (one of the cortisone types) to help. I've seen them get up after being down for a month, I've seen them give up after a day or two. As long as the cow is willing to keep fighting, I would give her the chance to recover.

dun

Anonymous":9it13csa said:
Had one hiplock and she is down. I have always hung them up for a week or so and have never had one come out of it. Should I wait a little longer before I put them down or just save the hassle and do it right away. Has anyone had any success bringing them out of it? I only get this every other year or so...(75 cows) I try to keep bw below 90 lbs but every once in a while I get a big one

Is the cow worth fighting for? I agree with Dun.. it's hard to predict which ones will make it and which won't. If the cow is trying, I'd give her the chance. We had one finally get up after about 10 days of being down, and went on to be a productive cow.

Never let the sun set on a down cow or a fight with your wife.

Ive seen most cows get up eventually, but it all depends on how long she was that way and if anything got broken in the process.

Latest posts