Highway right of way

Help Support CattleToday:

No, but in TX you can build right on it. I would say the same anywere. Only becasue if yo ugive a buffer you are letting them have waht ever your buffer is. Contact the local DOT office.

Scotty

In Illinois the state, county or township has a right of way that you have to respect. You own the property to the center of the roadway, but they have so many feet from the center of the road that they have control over. Your fence can't be inside that area or they will force you to move it. I don't recall the distances right off but the width of the ROW varies with the type of road.

Same for TX counties. I found this out when i purchased som land. The survey had me a lot more than the realtor. Turns out you pay taxes to the Center line of the road. Not the case for the state. TX will just condem your land if they want it.

Scotty

Same here in Ms, depends on type of road. I pay taxes to center line but can't use it often thought about toll booth on each end. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lcupit":3l2fvgej said:
Same here in Ms, depends on type of road. I pay taxes to center line but can't use it often thought about toll booth on each end. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can use it if they ever abandon the road. ODOT builds the highway fence here. You can run cattle against it, but better hope they don't push it.

When I bought this place back in '89 I rebuilt the better part of a 1/2 mile of fence along the road. My neighbor, the county engineer, moved his fence closer to the road, so I figured if the county engineer could do it, I'd do it too. I allowed for an 8 ft. shoulder so I could bushhog along the road. I'm on a backwoods county road. I'd never build right up against the road; too much of a chance of a car going through the fence, the county/state may tear up your fence doing maintenance (happened to me), puts cows too close to traffic, especially if you have cows that like to stick their heads through the wire.

Better check with the state DOT. On my place the right of way is 40 feet from the center line then goes to 70 feet on one end. I would even check to see if the have a "Legal Fence" definition in your state laws. If you don't have a legal fence you could be prosecuted for an animal hit on the road.

Bobg

If your in the sticks like I am check with the County road department. All roads have a differant right of way.

most of the time a good idea is where the put the power poles. Usually right on them in this area. For state highways you'd have to contact the DOT

Met with DOT today. They said that powerlines and telephone access boxes were a good indicator of right of way line. On this particular highway the ROW distance expands and contracts every so often. The guy said there were concrete markers ,about 4 inches square, along the right of way. We were unable to locate any of these so they said they would check the records and mark the right of way thursday. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sounds like you got on the right track getting the help you need. In Missouri, each class of road has a different right of way width. On my place, the state road has a 50 foot right of way----25 feet from center. closer to a bridge, it goes to 100 feet. the county roads going through my place all have a 30 foot right of way, 15 feet from center. You pay taxes to the center of the road from each side but you cant use it for anything.

Latest posts