Highlands

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Why are highland cattle so cheap at my local stockyard? I have tried the beef and it was excellent.

Ranger7694":1jgbupy1 said:
Why are highland cattle so cheap at my local stockyard? I have tried the beef and it was excellent.

Buyers will discount anything they can, horns, spots, disposition, condition... Packers discount carcasses under about 550 lbs. I don't know anything about their feed efficiency; doubt anyone else does either and that's another reason to discount them.

Highlands are excellent beef but Sillco and Frankie are correct that they are smaller beef and are hard to finish on grain so they don't fit very well into the commercial producers' setup. As a grass finished animal, however they are excellent if you have the patience and time. Most are in the two year old range before they truly finish on grass but I think it is worth the extra wait for my freezer beef.

Agreed. They are slow growers and a good kicker to boot! Most meat buyers are biased.....they are so in love with their black hided cattle that they are so blinded by the true facts behind the Angus beef! Marbling yuck!!!!! The reason why Highlanders are tender, lean beef is simply their long hair. Their long hair convert their body fat...the longer their hair, the less body fat a bovine relie on....Angus are a very short haired breed so they have A LOT of body fat! The only breed I know that doesn't need long hair and still have a low body fat are Beefalo and Belgiam Blues (other double muscle breeds). Highlands are a hobby breed....if you want money go with Herfs or Chars... If you are really into money and careless about people's health: go with Angus or Brangus. No one is stoppin' ya!

Well now I didn't wanna get on the wrong side of any body. I liek the highland cattle, don't have any but always were fond of the shaggy haired little bovine.
Ellie May

Ellie May":2lwsyy8p said:
Well now I didn't wanna get on the wrong side of any body. I liek the highland cattle, don't have any but always were fond of the shaggy haired little bovine.
Ellie May
Ellie just joking but you just went insight for the comment with all the pets you raise. I myself raise a lot of more different animals or pets than you at my farm but let just keep it cool 8) :D

OK! That's cool that you have different kinds. Everybody ticks me off when they talk about other animals as stupid & they hate them, & all that. I might dislike a certain kind of animal but I don't hate it. I love all animals because they are unique in their own way.
Ellie May

Ellie May":24ib5fyu said:
OK! That's cool that you have different kinds. Everybody ticks me off when they talk about other animals as stupid & they hate them, & all that. I might dislike a certain kind of animal but I don't hate it. I love all animals because they are unique in their own way.
Ellie May
keep the good farming going on :cboy: :D

Thanks to everyone who answered my posting. I appreciate the advice. I am already running Herefords and a few Beefalo. Folks that buy my beef are interested in low fat/low choleserol meat and I had read on the Highland breed site that Highlands have a lower cholesterol content than Bison. Might have to get one and see for myself. Thanks again! :D

Ranger7694":2bqslx5g said:
Thanks to everyone who answered my posting. I appreciate the advice. I am already running Herefords and a few Beefalo. Folks that buy my beef are interested in low fat/low choleserol meat and I had read on the Highland breed site that Highlands have a lower cholesterol content than Bison. Might have to get one and see for myself. Thanks again! :D

Have you thought about British Whites.

We raise highlands here in oregon, We are gitting $2.00+ a lb. "on the rail" for our beef...And have more buyers then we have Steers.

Our weaned heifers bring $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 Our neighbor get's $300.00 for his "black hided" calves....

I'll keep my "hobby" cows Thank you....

Good for you. That's the way I'm about goats. People don't think a goat should bring more then $25.00. I've gotten as much as $500.00 most sell around $200. Oh and our donkeys now their is a story. People say hey donkeys should bring no more then $100.00 well I proved them wrong again. I've gotten as much as $500.00 for them and average $300.00.
So whatever you enjoy and make the most out of go for it. Same with herefords, people at the salebarns won't pay that much at to private buyers they go for way more.
Ellie May

Latest posts