Highland heifer due to calve

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeportfarms

Reaction score
We're a bit concerned...we have a 2.5 year old Scottish Highland heifer due to calve mid April, not really showing any signs with her bag filling, back end is not looking floppy at all, but she's now limping on her right hind leg, breathing pretty heavily, and overall is not looking very well. She has been out by herself the last couple of days rather than running with the fold. Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Hans

Thought I'd post a few photos...couldn't resist going out on such a nice sunny day here.
She also seems to be kicking at her belly quite a bit, but the limping on the right leg has me a bit worried. Maybe pressing on some nerve or something? I don't think she injured it, but I can't be sure of course.

And no...I won't shave off all that hair for a better view :D :lol:

P1010003.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P10100011.JPG

lakeportfarms":1k9l4g8d said:
We're a bit concerned...we have a 2.5 year old Scottish Highland heifer due to calve mid April, not really showing any signs with her bag filling, back end is not looking floppy at all, but she's now limping on her right hind leg, breathing pretty heavily, and overall is not looking very well. She has been out by herself the last couple of days rather than running with the fold. Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Hans

Her udder isn't much of a sign. Some of our cows don't bag up much until the calf is born. I'd get her checked. Either glove up and stick you arm in there or get a vet. You may have a malpresentation. Good luck....

First thing I would say if in doubt get your vet out saying that though at a guess I would say the calf is pressing a nerve in her back which could explain the limp that she has. If she has started going off by herself than I would also say she is only a couple of days off calving. One of mine this year went feral wouldn't stay with the herd, wouldn't stay in the paddock got to climbing through an electric fence just so she wouldn't have to go with the rest of the Highlanders this went on for a week before she calved. The one thing with Highlanders are they are very hard to see their udders under all that hair, add to the fact they don't seem to get big like other breeds do & you start to end up worrying if they're in calf or not.
Being a first time calver I would sugest keeping an eye on her as heifers can have problems calving, one of mine we had to pull the calf because he was too big but the 1/2 brother was super tiny.

I think it's time you go in there. Not a pleasant job, by what your describing sounds like an abnormal birth. Maybe breach or a front leg doubled back. Calf maybe dead. If you can't do it yup, to save the cow you may need the vet. Good Luck.

It could be a pinched nerve, it can happen quite often when they are pregnant/calving. I would go in and check things out or get the vet to do it. Although her udder isn't necessarily a sign, the fact that she is acting strangely is!

We've been watching her the past two days. I tend to think that it is a pinched nerve, sometimes she seems to be fine, other times she's not putting weight on her hind right leg. She probably also feels miserable, we have had temps in the 60's with bright sunshine the past two days, they still have their winter coats, and they have been drinking a lot of water. We'll keep watching and keep the vet on speed dial just in case.

Latest posts