Highland Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos of my highland cows
Bull : Laird Hewie of Arrandoon
Hewie3_3.jpg

Heifer : Daphne of Arrandoon in calf due May/June 08 (1st)
Daphne.jpg

Heifer : Princess of Arrandoon in calf due May /June 08 (1st)
Princess.jpg

Cow : Flora of Ben Eyrie
Flora1.jpg

Cow : Jewels of Pickleberry
Jewels.jpg

Photos were taken at different times during the past year. Highlanders lose their long coats during spring & summer. The photo of the bull was taken in December 07 (our summer). In the photo Hewie weighed close to 900kg but am trying to get him back to around the 700kg range

Very nice Highlands. What part of Australia are you from? I 'm always intrigued by this breed. Would have some if only we had the room to run another breed.There is a herd of them about 200ks south of us on the main highway. I always stop and look over the fence at them. They are light mustard coloured. During summer they are often seen standing in the dam up to their bellies.
Colin :wave:

Very nice Highlands. What part of Australia are you from? I 'm always intrigued by this breed. Would have some if only we had the room to run another breed.There is a herd of them about 200ks south of us on the main highway. I always stop and look over the fence at them. They are light mustard coloured. During summer they are often seen standing in the dam up to their bellies.
Colin :wave:

those are some nice looking highland cows heifers an bull.i like how shaggy they can get.

Thanks for your comments :cboy:
We're down near the NSW / Vic border near the coast we have a dairy farm so these are a hobby of mine I want to build up to about 10 or 12 highlands so will try & get as much colour variety that I can within the small number.
Bloodlines are mostly from the Cruchan & Ben Eyrie folds I will have calves born that a Mac~Ladanae sire. I don't have any Gathbodhan bloodlines at the moment though that could change in the future I also have several Angus heifers that I will AI to highland semen as to raising the calf will depend on the amount of milk they produce. Too much milk & they will go into the dairy herd.
Jane

which mac ladanae bull? gathbodhan's bull chester (sold to NZ) was/is one of the better bulls i have seen... of any breed (and that coming from a Shorthorn breeder!! :p )

The 2 heifers (Princess & Daphne) are in calf to Haydon of Mac~Ladanae - et if your interested here is a link to Haydon's page on the Mac~Ladanae site http://www.kyloes.net/haydon.html. I'm currently waiting on a semen price for Chester and another bull that I really like is Black Watch Emmett http://www.blackwatchfarm.com/semen.html which I've also found out is available through Gathbodhan. I think with Gathbodhan being so far away that ai'ing their bulls into my cows may well be the only way that I can use their bloodlines.

Thanks He is just starting to get his long hair will post another photo once he gets his "winter wollies" on :clap:
I think that his calves should do ok in the show ring, will have the first of his due around September

I've got a very small fold of Highland cattle here in the states and I'd just like to say that I love the bull and the girls. Very nice looking animals.

Thanks Ganggreen :lol: When I first started thinking about getting some Highlanders I looked at a lot of animals & did research over the net Hewie was a bull that I thought represented the breed very well. The 2 older cows(mother & daughter) are much smaller than Hewie & the 2 heifers so I'm hoping that he will add some extra height on the cows

Latest posts