Highland cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale K. MacInnis

Reaction score
Yo! Anybody!

Highland cattle. Are they really a "combination" breed giving both meat and milk? If so, how much milk is to be expected?

Welcome to the boards Dale.

We have just recently obtained some Highlands, and by no means does that make me knowledgable in anyway. :oops:

But what I know is that they do make excellent marbled meat with small carcuss weight, if that fits your production goals then thats great.
:)
As far as milking....I don't know if you are asking about milk for offspring or actually milking as in dairy.........I have yet to hear of them being used that way... short horns are about the most unusual cattle milked these days.....although not the only.
As far as milk for calves, and being good mothers, I am told a big thumbs up for both.

So far, we have not had any calve for us, but they seem to be very hardy, gentle and small frame cattle, that can live through some pretty tough weather. Thats kind of what we are looking for , we are experimenting X breeding them with Angus just to see what we get.

Good luck in your endevour! :cboy:

My grandfather started with Highland cattle back in the early sixties when he bought the ranch. He got them because they look great to show off and he needed cows that took care of themselves. He didn't live on the ranch and only saw them twice a week. Supposedly they are great to eat (must say I have never eaten one) and I know they are good milkers. Something to remember with them is their bags look smaller because they keep a lot of it inside.

We would still be breeding them but they aren't worth that much up here. We just have two purebreds left, one is 15 the other 14. The 14 year old just gave us a beautiful boy this year with our purebred Angus bull. When these two have to go we will probably go out and get another one just to have around the ranch.

Medic 24 - it is a great cross. They are a little hairy for what our feedlots want but ours have grown big and been great. We have one Angus/Highland cross cow and a few others that are Angus/Highland/Charolais, they are great mothers and raise fantastic calves.

Latest posts