Highland Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Highland Girl

Reaction score
Hi

This is our highland bull. Please tell me what you think of him. He has never been halter trained so can not take him to shows.

p2280031.jpg

p2280033.jpg

Thanks

Highland Girl

Does he run into things alot? It would seem like he would, with all that hair in his eyes. Reminds me of some of the teenagers now days with all that nappy curly hair. Makes me want to get out my old timer and give them a trim. :lol:

A unique animal for sure.

And he's not very hairy!!

I have seen Highlands in Scotland with a lot more hair!!

Would love to take a brush to him but he will not let me that close.

Highland Girl

Nice looking boy! I love the sheepdog forelock!
Does he have a long back or is it just the picture angle?
I'm getting a couple of highland cows tomorrow.(In case you haven't read any of my other posts where I mention it....alot.) We are purchasing a white bull calf in April, but he won't be old enough to breed for a while. Wanted to raise the bull myself to get him as gentle and handled as possible...for a bull. :D

Gliderider":32pmr3vp said:
Does he have a long back or is it just the picture angle?
Wanted to raise the bull myself to get him as gentle and handled as possible...for a bull. :D

He maybe looks slightly longer in the photo but he is long in the body. We will be selling him soon as his mother was related to some of the females in the fold.

I would have loved it if he was halter trained as it makes them so much better to work with and we could have kept him for showing. Unfortunately he came to us as a two year old and had never been befriended.

sidney411":pvdnnm5f said:
Do they have a problem with eyesight? I don't see how he could see anything with all that hair! Wow!

Some people say to trim the hair others say to leave it alone as it protects the eyes.

I say leave it alone because most times we can only get him backwards into the crush or if we manage to get him the right way round he ususally jumps straight out before we can get the head lock down! :lol:

Highland Girl

I'd say leave it anyway, it protect their eyes from dust and debris. You wouldn't cut a sheepdogs hair would you? Plus it looks great!

highland he looks beautiful... love that long hair.
Glidrider, did you get the highlands yet? i havent got mine yet, still waiting on fence work, but i have came up with another game plan to keep them before big field is done. LOL gonna split the big barn lot in half. keep mule and horse on one side/ cows on other.. maybe this week end...
Highland, you get me all wond up about my highlands! yours are really nice! Rose

We are due to have our first calf in the next two weeks. Dozer is the dad!! He has produced fine calves in the past. We are very excited!

When we had to go and pick up our highlands it was about an hours drive away. I was so excited that I nearly got dumped on the side of the road by my work mate as I was driving him mad!!! The first time he ever touched a cow was that day. Now he is just as bad as me. Doesn't want to miss a thing and always out checking on our mum to be.

Highland Girl

Victoria":3nnw416b said:
Nice young bull.
We've never cut the hair on the Highlands, figure God made them that way so they must need the hair. :lol:

We also would never cut the hair on our highlands. They are a very hardy animal and yes God made them that way so why mess with perfection.

If we had to cut the hair that would be a pain. There is enough to do with out having to give 13 highland cattle a hair cut.

Highland Girl

Latest posts