Highest weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Based on a weaning time of 205 days, what breed or crossbread will have the highest weaning weight in 205 days? This assumes early spring rains and no drought.The reason In Fl. the black hides bring more per lb. but if there is another breed that wean's higher weight's you might make more money per calf with a different color.

There will of course be those who disagree with me, but many breeds have their own terminal/growth bloodlines available. I say choose your favorite breed combos, and choose a terminal/growth sire within the breed you want to use. Just make sure your cows can handle his calves. Within the Hereford breed for instance, Remitall advertises multiple 900# and up 205 day weights, and they've even promoted at least one with a 205 of 1,000# plus. I think he had a 107# BW...

These weights may well have been achieved with creep feeding, and probably cows that weighed 1,500 and up. I'm not advocating any of these practices, just saying what's out there. I've personally owned a bull in the past that had a spread from 70# BW to 804# 205 day without creep, and he did it in a moderate frame, I'd guess him at about a ton now. He's been breeding a herd of Charolais cows the last few years, and they basically eliminated their calving troubles and increased their weaning weights versus their old Char bull.

The easiest way to get there is some heavy milking cows bred to a growthy bull. Those type of cows also typically require more acres per cow to sustain their production, so whether you are actually selling more pounds of beef per acre is something to investigate. Plus, typically the heavier a calf, the less he brings per pound. Having said that, most of us are trying to develop that easy-keeping AND heavy milking cow, but it is easier said than done.

Good luck

Central Fl Cracker":2xtkj867 said:
Based on a weaning time of 205 days, what breed or crossbread will have the highest weaning weight in 205 days? This assumes early spring rains and no drought.The reason In Fl. the black hides bring more per lb. but if there is another breed that wean's higher weight's you might make more money per calf with a different color.

IF all we were chasing was the biggest weaning weights possible, I would combine the biggest framiest heaviest lines of Hereford and Simmental (before they went more moderate framed and black) into an F1 cow and cross those big 1500 to 1700 lb mama cows too the beefiest, framiest, thickest, terminal Charolais bull you can find. That combination of muscle, bone, frame, milk, and hybrid vigour should produce a terminal set of calves that would top the scales in most places.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ (well maybe a little) from the looks of your pasture I don't think it will matter that much. Doesn't seem to be enough grass to let those kind of calves reach their genetic potential.

EAT BEEF":zrzztzob said:
Not trying to be a smart a$$ (well maybe a little) from the looks of your pasture I don't think it will matter that much. Doesn't seem to be enough grass to let those kind of calves reach their genetic potential.

Looks to me like the question was about potential of breeds not a program being practiced or fixing to implement.

beefmasters fitt your climate.an they can wean off a heavy calf.with weaning weights from 550 to 700lb calves.depending on when the cows calve during the year.in fla youd prolly want a fall calving herd.try a beefmaster bull on your cows.an see how much weight he adds to your calves at weaning time.youll only lose a year if you dont like the calves.

Central Fl Cracker":1ebq8exg said:
Based on a weaning time of 205 days, what breed or crossbread will have the highest weaning weight in 205 days? This assumes early spring rains and no drought.The reason In Fl.
  • the black hides bring more per lb. but if there is another breed that wean's higher weight's you might make more money per calf with a different color
maybe. but you can put 50+ more weight on the scale and get less per pound. it can average out to be less over all ... you need to stick with one program thats working

well / 1st plan F1 tigerstripe cow x charalois bull the best selling here are yellow white face calves super mom and terminal bull.
2nd plan F1 red angus x hereford cow x charalois bull. calmer cow for me and still good mom pound for pound. yellow white face calf good seller.
my opinion i am not there myself yet. i like red cows better.

Check back in about 16mo, just AI'd Red AngusxGelbvieh cows to Black Simmental bull for a terminal breeding on Sunday.

A cow, ayrshire x simmenthal, bred to a chianina bull.
I am not saying that this is an economical way. just that weaning weight at 205 days will excel.
In fact I beleive in more ordinary size cows and a terminal sire with moderate birthweights and lots of muscle, rather than one with a lot of growth.

Latest posts