Higher prices !

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Like as if things weren't bad enough. Basically everything price wise is jumping through the roof ! A few weeks ago the price of fertilizer made a big increase in price. Today I bought a 16 foot heavy bull gate at Atwoods $ 202 dollar's. Bought the same gate last December for $ 162 dollar's.

Priced a new set of 10 ply 17 inch tires for my truck today. $ 192 dollar's a tire. Bought the same tire at the same place, same owner & manager of the tire shop 3 years ago. $ 154 dollar's a tire.

Took a tire off of my ford ranger to get a flat fixed at the same tire shop I have going to for the last 30 year's. $ 17 dollar's to plug it. I would have plugged it myself if i had of known it was going to cost that much.

I am so busy most of the time it saves me time to drop flats off to get them fixed. I am going to have to start making time to fix flats myself at that price.

I have been hearing others talk about price increases ever since these stimulus checks have been sent out but, didn't think there was any truth to it. But there is alot of truth to it.

Like as if things weren't bad enough. Basically everything price wise is jumping through the roof ! A few weeks ago the price of fertilizer made a big increase in price. Today I bought a 16 foot heavy bull gate at Atwoods $ 202 dollar's. Bought the same gate last December for $ 162 dollar's.

Priced a new set of 10 ply 17 inch tires for my truck today. $ 192 dollar's a tire. Bought the same tire at the same place, same owner & manager of the tire shop 3 years ago. $ 154 dollar's a tire.

Took a tire off of my ford ranger to get a flat fixed at the same tire shop I have going to for the last 30 year's. $ 17 dollar's to plug it. I would have plugged it myself if i had of known it was going to cost that much.

I am so busy most of the time it saves me time to drop flats off to get them fixed. I am going to have to start making time to fix flats myself at that price.

I have been hearing others talk about price increases ever since these stimulus checks have been sent out but, didn't think there was any truth to it. But there is alot of truth to it.

You need to find another tire shop if they're charging to plug tires.

You sure they didn't put a plug patch in it? It looks the same from the outside, but is a proper repair with the patch securing it from the inside.

A dollar is worth less every year, nothing new.

Lumber has skyrocketed, supposedly because of low production and increased demand, they say it will go down, but who knows.

I did buy a tire machine on Ebay a couple years ago. It has easily paid for itself already, not to mention the convenience of not needing to run to town. They're getting $15 for a flat repair here, in a very cheap area. Patches are real cheap and it only takes me 15 minutes or so to patch one, plus I buy tires online and mount them myself.

I got a tire patched recently, and it was $15. I hadn't gotten one patched in a long time, but I thought having a tire patched was pocket change the last time. I almost passed out. I thought he had my bill mixed up with somebody else.

Don't go to a lumber yard if you don"t want to have a heart attack. Talk about price increases.... it is painful to even look at lumber for projects or repairs.
A guy I know had a contractor qoute him a price to build him a new house sometime about when covid hit.

Then that same contractor increased his qoute by $ 15,000 because of lumber price increase.

You need to find another tire shop if they're charging to plug tires.

You sure they didn't put a plug patch in it? It looks the same from the outside, but is a proper repair with the patch securing it from the inside.

A dollar is worth less every year, nothing new.

Lumber has skyrocketed, supposedly because of low production and increased demand, they say it will go down, but who knows.

I did buy a tire machine on Ebay a couple years ago. It has easily paid for itself already, not to mention the convenience of not needing to run to town. They're getting $15 for a flat repair here, in a very cheap area. Patches are real cheap and it only takes me 15 minutes or so to patch one, plus I buy tires online and mount them myself.
Only two tire shops in town both have always charged to plug tires. Never been to a tire shop any where that plugged a tire for free !

Don't go to a lumber yard if you don"t want to have a heart attack. Talk about price increases.... it is painful to even look at lumber for projects or repairs.
Prices are jumping due to stimulus and enhanced unemployment!
Guy that runs the tire shop had to shut his road service down.
Can't get anyone to work.

Prices are jumping due to stimulus and enhanced unemployment!
Guy that runs the tire shop had to shut his road service down.
Can't get anyone to work.
Government increasing unemployment benefits, sending out stimulus checks. I don't know why i am still working. I know of one guy going getting thoes benifit. Then on top of that getting food from a food bank to feed his dogs with.

I was told by someone that works at a grocery store that all grain and paper products are going to jump in a big way come June. Lumber and wood prices are sky-high now due to the booming construction industry. Not enough houses to satisfy demand. A lumber guy told me that he expects the price of wood to start falling soon when interest rates go back up. Has anyone checked the price of toilet paper lately? 🧻

Seems I am always in the wrong business as they never see a price jump, but inputs cost more. Food and grain prices are up, but farmers get the same old piece of pie. I had a neighbor that thought with the price of meat in the stores cattle farmers must be making a killen. Same piece of pie, maybe 15%-20% of what the consumer pays (end price) and do most of the work and have most of the risks. With inputs jumping either farmers get more pie out of the products or an economic profit is no longer possible.

Only two tire shops in town both have always charged to plug tires. Never been to a tire shop any where that plugged a tire for free !

What I'm getting at is they shouldn't be plugging tires. They're putting themselves at a big liability risk if they aren't breaking down the tire every time and are just jamming a plug in there and sending it out the door.

People run on a flat all the time, the tire can look fine but be totally destroyed on the inside. If you plug it, they may very well take off and have a blowout a few miles later.

However you want to fix a flat, it'd be pretty hard to expect somebody to do the work on your vehicle for nothing... unless it's to entice you to come there when you need a new set of tires. "Free" flat repair and tire rotation"for life" when you buy a new set isn't "free" either... in part it's the way they get you to buy from them vs. the competition that won't include this service... and for them, that's a calculated "insurance policy", just like selling extended warranties. They include it in the price of every set of tires they sell, but because they "include that extra service for free"... you buy from them............... I know I do. The average guy in town though rarely runs over anything that'll make his tire go flat.

My point is, I don't work for "free", and I can't expect anybody else to either. Now that they're raising the minimum wage, they have to pay the guy in the shop more (even if he ISN'T being paid minimum wage). That drives up prices all up and down the line. Add to that the trucking issues now with not enough drivers and fuel going up............. heaven knows we don't want to call it "inflation", but it all has to be affected, or you can't get the service.

1617801342731.png

However you want to fix a flat, it'd be pretty hard to expect somebody to do the work on your vehicle for nothing... unless it's to entice you to come there when you need a new set of tires. "Free" flat repair and tire rotation"for life" when you buy a new set isn't "free" either... in part it's the way they get you to buy from them vs. the competition that won't include this service... and for them, that's a calculated "insurance policy", just like selling extended warranties. They include it in the price of every set of tires they sell, but because they "include that extra service for free"... you buy from them............... I know I do. The average guy in town though rarely runs over anything that'll make his tire go flat.

My point is, I don't work for "free", and I can't expect anybody else to either. Now that they're raising the minimum wage, they have to pay the guy in the shop more (even if he ISN'T being paid minimum wage). That drives up prices all up and down the line. Add to that the trucking issues now with not enough drivers and fuel going up............. heaven knows we don't want to call it "inflation", but it all has to be affected, or you can't get the service.

View attachment 3641

They shouldn't work for free, but if you are paying for a tire repair, you should get a proper break down and a plug patch. If they just jam a rope plug in the hole, you're getting screwed.

This is why a tire shop shouldn't plug tires. Doing it yourself is a different matter.

They shouldn't work for free, but if you are paying for a tire repair, you should get a proper break down and a plug patch. If they just jam a rope plug in the hole, you're getting screwed.

This is why a tire shop shouldn't plug tires. Doing it yourself is a different matter.

Big tire outfit here in the PNW. Actually all over the west. They fix flats for free and I am not talking plugging your tire. They do a lot of other things for free.
They are serious about service. Pull into their parking lot and someone will actually run out to see how they can help. Their help is all clean cut. They start the day in clean white shirts and clean blue pants. They expect a lot from their employees but they take care of them. Last week I had them take off the studded winter tires and put on the summer tires. No charge. But that service pays for them. They sell a lot of tires to a lot of loyal customers. The store here has 3 bays which are always full. Adn 6 young men workign in those bays.

Big tire outfit here in the PNW. Actually all over the west. They fix flats for free and I am not talking plugging your tire. They do a lot of other things for free.
They are serious about service. Pull into their parking lot and someone will actually run out to see how they can help. Their help is all clean cut. They start the day in clean white shirts and clean blue pants. They expect a lot from their employees but they take care of them. Last week I had them take off the studded winter tires and put on the summer tires. No charge. But that service pays for them. They sell a lot of tires to a lot of loyal customers. The store here has 3 bays which are always full. Adn 6 young men workign in those bays.
Yes, this company is hugely appreciated

In the past month I have heard or drastic price increases and shortages on the following: steel, rubber tires, pvc pipe, ketchup (yes ketchup), lumber, glass, extruded insulation panels, computer chips, and lumber. WTF is going on!!!

Latest posts