Higher cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
We picked up a few calves yesterday to precondition to add to some we pulled off our own cows.
Had to go with number 2 type calves,
Number 1's were out of our range.
It looks like the lower national herd numbers are starting to enter the market.
With all the good cows they are killing I'm thinking this might be the bottom for a couple of years.
It's dry in lots of places across the country, even parts of Texas is getting hit hard right now.

With all the good cows they are killing I'm thinking this might be the bottom for a couple of years.
Seems the talking heads have preached for years about low herd numbers and higher prices on the horizon. I am still waiting to see it. Sold a great looking 4-year old Angus cow only days ago. Brought 80 cents per hundred weight. Her calf died from cold/rain/snow/mud {pick one} and the feed costs are too high.

I have read about the drought and all the people who sold cattle in 2021. And it is hitting home for me. I have more cows that will be sold (age, health, etc). Farmerjan, I hear you. It has been one thing after another for me as well.

Runs are down noticeably in local sales barns, but it is hard to get a significant calf price increase with $7 to $8 corn and oats. Taking heads continue to say there will be high calf prices in two more years. Some day they will be correct.

Beef cow numbers will go down again in 2022. Dover published an update on this today. Talking heads also say the cull cow price increase is partially due to the extended drought they had in Australia.

Last edited:
Seems the talking heads have preached for years about low herd numbers and higher prices on the horizon. I am still waiting to see it. Sold a great looking 4-year old Angus cow only days ago. Brought 80 cents per hundred weight. Her calf died from cold/rain/snow/mud {pick one} and the feed costs are too high.

I have read about the drought and all the people who sold cattle in 2021. And it is hitting home for me. I have more cows that will be sold (age, health, etc). Farmerjan, I hear you. It has been one thing after another for me as well.
when there is a shortage of cattle for the feed lots they will just import more, or just enough the keep domestic cattle prices low and get more for their imports. since the big four are foreign owned I wouldn't expect anything different.

I sold a small group today and prices were good. However, with the high cost of fuel, feed, and other inputs any increase in calf prices quickly goes out the window.

when there is a shortage of cattle for the feed lots they will just import more, or just enough the keep domestic cattle prices low and get more for their imports. since the big four are foreign owned I wouldn't expect anything different.
No feedlot cattle shortage yet, but beef imports from Brazil are already way up YTD.
Brazil's feed and labor costs are much less than here.
Their only obvious issue is they import a lot of fertilizer from Russia.

No feedlot cattle shortage yet, but beef imports from Brazil are already way up YTD.
Brazil's feed and labor costs are much less than here.
Their only obvious issue is they import a lot of fertilizer from Russia.
Brazil does not report cases of BSE mad cow in a timely manner. The last case was not reported until 6 months after it was first discovered.

The Senate & House will hear and debate the Grassley Fischer Bill at the end of April. We should find out in short order where everybody
stands on these issues. There is a lot of talk among the Ag State Senators and Congressionals about the status of our markets.
The market effects of foreign imports from Brazil, Canada and Guatamala are being discussed at the moment and I would expect some
focus on this when the committee meets. Restoration of the mandatory country of origen labeling needs to be restored.
It is a slap in the face to the hard working U S cattle produce and an insult to the struggling American home worker to have no idea
of how or whether the number one meat protein is being accurately presented as home grown at the point of sale.
We may never have this opportunity again. God Bless Us...

The Senate & House will hear and debate the Grassley Fischer Bill at the end of April. We should find out in short order where everybody
stands on these issues. There is a lot of talk among the Ag State Senators and Congressionals about the status of our markets.
The market effects of foreign imports from Brazil, Canada and Guatamala are being discussed at the moment and I would expect some
focus on this when the committee meets. Restoration of the mandatory country of origen labeling needs to be restored.
It is a slap in the face to the hard working U S cattle produce and an insult to the struggling American home worker to have no idea
of how or whether the number one meat protein is being accurately presented as home grown at the point of sale.
We may never have this opportunity again. God Bless Us...
If this happens I will be d as surprised.
It wasn't long ago this government in our country was talking about taxing cows because of methane gas.
It would destroy the cattle business in this country and drive prices through the rough along with everything thing else.

If this happens I will be d as surprised.
It wasn't long ago this government in our country was talking about taxing cows because of methane gas.
It would destroy the cattle business in this country and drive prices through the rough along with everything thing else.
Just more bad science at work. Proper grazing revitalizes soil and even overgrazing is better than trying to farm extremely erodible ground. Millions of bison chewed cud on this continent before the cow replaced them. Should we tax those that remain? Idiocy at its finest.

It's a subject I'm somewhat passionate about. Cattle perform "magic" on the land. Last year I had two fields planted to soybeans across the road from each other. Same everything except two days difference in planting date. The grazed cornstalk field averaged nine bushel an acre more than the ungrazed. The ungrazed is also a more level field with slightly better soil. Manure and urine make a difference but I think the hoof action is just as important. All those hoof holes hold water. I think it makes a huge difference.

We picked up a few calves yesterday to precondition to add to some we pulled off our own cows.
Had to go with number 2 type calves,
Number 1's were out of our range.
It's dry in lots of places across the country, even parts of Texas is getting hit hard right now.
I'm going Thursday to get a load of fall calves to add to mine to put on grass. I think it's a good time to get my feet wet in the stocker game, high feed prices or not.

I'd like to expand my cow herd, but doing it with the kind I want is a slow process. Stockers can use up my small patches of pasture that are harder to utilize during this time of year.

I don't live near Crockett, but use their price scale (in the land of grass) as a guide when considering sale or purchase prices for my animals. Right now, I'm on the edge of the extreme drought, so barns in my area are cheaper. A few hours to the right are decent prices though.

Attachments

• 0AE1ACD6-6E37-46EE-B20A-58A2F83FA5F3.png
    0AE1ACD6-6E37-46EE-B20A-58A2F83FA5F3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
I don't live near Crockett, but use their price scale (in the land of grass) as a guide when considering sale or purchase prices for my animals. Right now, I'm on the edge of the extreme drought, so barns in my area are cheaper. A few hours to the right are decent prices though.
My place in Leon county gets more rain than my other 2 places, (Burleson county is far behind ) and it's not far from Crocker it is the land of grass.
Coleman county is in a major drought, my 3 acre tank went dry and we had to pull cows for fear of them getting stuck in the mud. We don't get out there often enough to keep an eye on that.
As soon as it fills back up we will get something back on there.

Just more bad science at work. Proper grazing revitalizes soil and even overgrazing is better than trying to farm extremely erodible ground. Millions of bison chewed cud on this continent before the cow replaced them. Should we tax those that remain? Idiocy at its finest.
YOIuy know, mt y client I bought the 150 head for, was telling me he was getting a $2930 per acre grant for seed and fertilizer for turning row crop land into pasture. Don;t remember of it was a federal or a state of Ga grant. It has to have been row crop land for so many years. In addition, while he had to put up the perimeter fence on this 450 acres, he is getting a forgivable, 4% loan for the entire cost of cross fencing. He said his extension agent who is helping him get these, said it was because there is a big push....again, don't know if it is GA or the US... to turn row crop land into pasture for soil conservation.

YOIuy know, mt y client I bought the 150 head for, was telling me he was getting a $2930 per acre grant for seed and fertilizer for turning row crop land into pasture. Don;t remember of it was a federal or a state of Ga grant. It has to have been row crop land for so many years. In addition, while he had to put up the perimeter fence on this 450 acres, he is getting a forgivable, 4% loan for the entire cost of cross fencing. He said his extension agent who is helping him get these, said it was because there is a big push....again, don't know if it is GA or the US... to turn row crop land into pasture for soil conservation.
That's interesting. I'm not for throwing around taxpayer dollars but that's better than crp. At least it's in production that way.

Doesn't methane primarily come from the break down of plant material? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem like you would have methane whether a cow ate grass or not

Latest posts