High tensile wire (spinning jinny)

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
Gee I sure feel foolish. Has anyone else had problems with using high tensile fence? I have had two rolls over the years that have snarled and become "rats nest" while I was stringing out the wire. I did one on an old spinning jinny so I figured maybe it was too bent from use or whatever so I bought a new spinning jinny and I had another roll of wire snarl. The new jinny has the rubber washer that is supposed to act as a friction brake but it still snarled. Of course it was freezing cold out so I did not have any patience to "desnarl" so I got another roll and it worked fine. But I have a roll of snarled wire about 50% and I don't want to throw it away but I don't know how to get it usable either. Anyone have any ideas?

Jennys are a wonderful invention IF they're adjusted right for the tension needed and the owre is placed on them correctly. Some jennys will loosen as you pull the wore and first thing you know you have the mess of wire that takes forever to unsnarl. Patience and time and you can get it unsnarled. I lean moretowrads the school of getting off a couple of hundred feet and cutting it. When I get all the 100 foot or so pieces I hook them back togehter using a square knot. After that I always keep a real close eye on that particular jenny. I have 2 of them that are almost identical. Ones loosens and causes problems the ohter I haven;t had to touch since I adjusted it 8 years ago.

I was afraid that was going to be the remedy. Unsnarling a couple hundred feet at a time is more or less what I was headed for but I was hoping against hope that there was a real simple way to do it and that it would make me feel even more foolish for not thinking of it. Oh well I do appreciate knowing that I am not the only one that has had this problem. But I do wish neither of us had had to deal with it. Thanks for the input DUN.

Ive been fairly lucky, seems like when I've had trouble it was close to the end. It seems to work better if the tension is right and it sits fairly level . I always have trouble when I don't take time to do those two things . I f I can I have one guy watch it as it comes off .

Larry

ga. prime":30q766wp said:
A square knot, dun? Any kink I've ever seen in high tensile will break if you look at it wrong.
A square knot isn;t a kink. It's the strongest way of joining together pieces of high tensile. The harder you pull the tighter the knot holds. Drove a tractor through a section with 2 square knots, pulled the posts out of the ground but it didn;t hurt the wire. Try it, you'll be surprised

I will try the square knot. I've always had the notion that any kind of knot would break. A square knot would sure be simpler than any other splice. And would cost nothing. That is a great tip.

dun":lvrpzn7h said:
A square knot isn;t a kink. It's the strongest way of joining together pieces of high tensile. The harder you pull the tighter the knot holds. Drove a tractor through a section with 2 square knots, pulled the posts out of the ground but it didn;t hurt the wire. Try it, you'll be surprised

Do you test everything that way? Did the radiator survive? The operator?

One time I hung the harrow on the bottom strand of some high tensile when I was turning the tractor around. It didn't break the wire but did break one of those screw in ceramic insulators at the corner post which was about 200ft away. Just pulled it into. My tip is that you should handle broken ceramic insulators very carefully because the broken edges are sharper than a straight edged razor.

What gauge are you using that you can tie a knot? I use 12 1/2 and use split bolt connectors. The larger gauge doesnt tangle often. when it does it is pretty easy to get undone.

novatech":13ynm20p said:
What gauge are you using that you can tie a knot? I use 12 1/2 and use split bolt connectors. The larger gauge doesnt tangle often. when it does it is pretty easy to get undone.

All I use is 12 1/2 gauge. If you thnk it's easy to untangle you've not been as succesfull at making a big snarly tangle of it as I was.

dun":3uwmroxy said:
novatech":3uwmroxy said:

All I use is 12 1/2 gauge. If you thnk it's easy to untangle you've not been as succesfull at making a big snarly tangle of it as I was.
More than likely it is because you do a lot more of it than I do.
What I want to know is how you manage to tie a knot in it. I can barely bend the stuff much less tie a knot.

novatech":18opfhvq said:
What I want to know is how you manage to tie a knot in it. I can barely bend the stuff much less tie a knot.

I addressed that in a pm. I'll just bet you're using the 200 lb stuff rather then the 170-180 stuff.

john250":lvh7s1gx said:

I only test a few things that way. An International 460 will go through it and pull posts before you have a chance to stoff, a Kawasaki Mule slows down enough that it doesn;t do any damage. But that's probably more dependent on speed then anything else.

dun":3makzwf0 said:
john250":3makzwf0 said:

I only test a few things that way. An International 460 will go through it and pull posts before you have a chance to stoff, a Kawasaki Mule slows down enough that it doesn;t do any damage. But that's probably more dependent on speed then anything else.

:lol: :lol:

Jalopy":24zc80rj said:
Thanks for the square knot info. I've only used sleeves before and that is nuisance and inconvenient.

Not if you have three hands. ;-)

Latest posts