High Tensile Tips for Perimeter Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We are gearing up to put in 4.8 miles of high tensile for a new grazing area. I have used alot of it in the past but only for interior fences. For perimeter fences:

Is there any practical limit on how far you can go without a stretching brace?

Is there any disadvantage in putting in fiberglass stays between line posts rather than 100% posts?

Have you been satisfied with T line posts rather than wood line posts for an electrified fence?

Stocker Steve":29wjfwum said:
We are gearing up to put in 4.8 miles of high tensile for a new grazing area. I have used alot of it in the past but only for interior fences. For perimeter fences:

Is there any disadvantage in putting in fiberglass stays between line posts rather than 100% posts?

Have you been satisfied with T line posts rather than wood line posts for an electrified fence?
im putting H braces every 200ft or so on short streaches of fence.an putting the line posts every 25ft.with the fencing that your doing id prolly put the H braces every 500ft.an a pull post every 100ft.

Stocker Steve":15w091i3 said:

The fence I put up last year we used line posts every 60' and a fiberglass stay in the middle. Six strands, second one from the bottom hot. Works real well.

I use T post rather than wood for line post and they work fine. Just need good insulators but you need them on wood post too, so that is a wash. As for stretching braces.... how straight and flat is the fence line. The longest straight piece of high tensile I have done was about 1,000 feet with a brace at each end. I have done lots of barb wire with a quarter mile between braces. I see no reason why you couldn't go that far with high tensile.
Dave

with the fencing that your doing id prolly put the H braces every 500ft.an a pull post every 100ft.

I've used the high tensile. Correct me if I'm wrong. I look at it as pull length. This was taken from instructions on TSC site:

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=6&LearnID=14

Tighten the wires to 250 pounds of tension or better (equals 2 to 3 inches of compression of the tension spring) with the use of the strainer handle. Note: an in-line strainer will pull 4,000 feet of high tensile wire; however, for each friction point such as a corner, bend, dip or rise, deduct 500 feet of pull capability

According to this if you could theoretically pull a 4000 ft length with no dips/rises with 2 corner posts. The line post are strictly to keep the wires straight (and help to see the fence). There is NO PULL to the line posts (since the wire is allowed to move freely through the line posts), therefore one can space as far as terrain will allow. (My interpretation)

Personally, I spaced my t-posts about 60 ft apart to account for slope of land.

Stocker Steve":3p0d3dsf said:

I'm not sure where you're at in Minnesota, but I bought my supplies and got advice from K-Fence (I dealt with the folks in Zumbro Falls, but there is also a franchise in SW MN).

Their materials might be more expensive than most farm-store supplies, but after comparing the wire, strainers, and insulators, I became convinced that the increase in quality was worth the money.

They build a lot of fence, so I followed their design recommendations and have been happy with my fences (only 2 miles!) so far. It sure beats the barbed wire fences we built when I was growing up.

Latest posts