high tensile fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with high tensile fencing. Please comment either way. Where can you get information on building it.

I have used both electrified and non. The keys to successful use of this fence are braces and splices.If you do either poorly your results will be bad.I can't post a link :dunce: but if you go to Va.Tech's website the extention service has a good site.

I'm putting to about 1/2 mile of the following fence in a pasture which borders a very busy road.

http://www.bekaertfence.com/products/solidlock12.html

I'm using the 49" high fence which has 9 lateral wires and 6" stays. 6'5" metal post every 10' with every 10th post a 6"-7" wood post. A strand of high tensile 4 pt barbwire on top.

I'll let you know in a week or two.

Kicking around different options for electric and non electric. Whats your thoughts on barbed. All new to the high tensile. Thanks for the replies

I put up 1/2 mile of electric HT last fall. I had never used it before and actually enjoyed putting it up just because it was something new. If you have 3 hands it would help with crimping the splices. Fence turned out nice and I plan on building more.

I have also used barbed HT in the past, it is a pain to work with but once it is up I like it. That being said I probably won't put up any new fence using it.

I like the hi tensile barbed wire although it can be hard to work.You can unroll it alone with a little gadgit sold at TSC.A couple years ago,I put up a new road fence with 8 strands of hi-tensile smooth wire.No cattle through it yet and the deer don't tear it up like they do woven wire.The hi-tensile barbed Dad and I put up after a flood 22 years ago is still grey with little or no rusty spots.Can't say that for the conventional wire put up the same year.

It is a pain to put up and fix. I think that the new stuff has improoved from what it used to be. I accidentally took a role of it when I fixed fence about six months ago and I was very sorry I did.

mtncows":3g7vcwsp said:
I like the hi tensile barbed wire although it can be hard to work.You can unroll it alone with a little gadgit sold at TSC.A couple years ago,I put up a new road fence with 8 strands of hi-tensile smooth wire.No cattle through it yet and the deer don't tear it up like they do woven wire.The hi-tensile barbed Dad and I put up after a flood 22 years ago is still grey with little or no rusty spots.Can't say that for the conventional wire put up the same year.

I've got a jag on a main road that needs replacing, been thinking about putting up 7 or 8 strands of H-T with one or two hot. Never used HT as a perimeter fence, just internal. How far did you space your posts?

cfpinz

kaneranch":1p3vdaou said:
It is a pain to put up and fix. I think that the new stuff has improoved from what it used to be. I accidentally took a role of it when I fixed fence about six months ago and I was very sorry I did.
me too I hate it (the barbed, no electric esperience)

Acursed is right, dun. The stuff is evil.

cfpinz":u1g4aivd said:
mtncows":u1g4aivd said:

I've got a jag on a main road that needs replacing, been thinking about putting up 7 or 8 strands of H-T with one or two hot. Never used HT as a perimeter fence, just internal. How far did you space your posts?

cfpinz
I cheated and used the origional (and still good) posts which were set 10'-11' apart.I think you could go 12' but not over without a spacer.Next time your in Staunton at the stockyard,ask one of the owners about their fence.They use a lot along the roads and it looks good.7strand,I think.
Mine is 8 strand @ 6" apart with 8" gap on the ground and no power.Neighbor built a 6 strand 8" spacing with top 4 "hot".Both have worked well.I should have made provisions for one or two wires to be "hot" for training but haven't needed them so far.

Latest posts