High Tensile fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Does anyone use this type of fencing for their pastures? Do you electrify it or leave it cold? How well does it keep bulls in? Good? Bad? Ugly? I only have a few head and am thinking about using it for the front acreage, possibly for a large drylot area as well. Did some google-ing and figured I'd go with the six strand. What do you all think?

If you're talking about that accursed gaucho barbed wire stuff it doesn;t need (and shouldn;t be) electrified. If you're talking about smooth high tensile like 12 1/2 gauge it needs to be electrified.

dun

I use four strands, all electric. I use more line posts so there isn't as much sag between posts. I also run several stays between posts. Even if I lose power to the charger, fence will hold cattle. Because of the snow here, fence has been down two months, cattle haven't been through fence. One day after I first put it up, a car went airborne off the road through the fence. Broke a post, but none of the wires broke. Probably saved her life. Kept her car from rolling.

Great stuff. Make sure your corner and brace posts are set deep and solid. I use 6 wires for normal fence, with two of them grounded and the rest hot. Our ground gets so dry in the summer that you can't get a good shock some years. I use seven wires around the heifer pen, alternating hot and ground to keep the bull out.

TripleB":2g6eaqbd said:
Does anyone use this type of fencing for their pastures? Do you electrify it or leave it cold? How well does it keep bulls in? Good? Bad? Ugly? I only have a few head and am thinking about using it for the front acreage, possibly for a large drylot area as well. Did some google-ing and figured I'd go with the six strand. What do you all think?
im building a high tensile fence right now.an im going 6 wires high.all of them are cold wires.spacing my line posts 25ft apart.i installed maybe 150ft of high tensile fence in less than 2hrs.including driving the t posts.so far the cows respect the wire.ive seen 1 or 2 babies go though it.if it had of been hot theyd gotten hurt.

Assume you are talking about 12.5 ga smooth hi-tensile.
Electrify 2 wires.
When it's hot, bulls won't mess with it.
I use 6 strands on property lines, 3 for divisions.
Spend money on good corners and a 100 mile fencer.
Works for me.

john250":20z41yz0 said:
Electrify 2 wires.
Works for me.

What is a "100 mile fencer"?

tncattle":1hijdd2d said:
john250":1hijdd2d said:
Electrify 2 wires.
Works for me.

What is a "100 mile fencer"?

100 miles isn't really a useful measure of a fencer, but that is what I read on the box. Instead of technical measurements like "joules" they tend to put miles of fence on the box.
Use at least two ground rods.

I have 6 wire high tensil fence , older line has 2 electric wires and we had some trouble with little calves getting out, last summer we fenced a field next to the road so we made 3 wires electric , so far we had no trouble.